New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recommendation on AR Match Trigger
 Login/Join

<El Viejo>
posted
Today I put a trigger pull scale on my AR. It broke somewhere off of the scale, my guess is 12-15 pounds.

I guess it is time to break down and buy a match trigger. I would appreciate any comments and pointers.
Thank you.

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
http://www.ar15sales.com/
Leagal Transfers
Go for hte NM trigger.

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Rock River and Armalite make excellent two-stage NM triggers. If you want a single stage, Jewell is one of the best.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I have a jp "system" on one of mine,nice and crisp.Had to tweak the spring a bit to get through the trigger wieght check at a leg match one time.Stripped the lower in the parking lot,bent the trigger spring,re-assembled it and got back in line,passed.Other than that first wiegh in,,,I love it.Some light polishing,with a india stone to the trigger face and top,and the hammer catch,will bring the pull down a good bit too.I gotta ask,,who is shipping ar's with 15+lb triggers,or who supplied the parts?

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for the JP trigger, but I don't like two-stage triggers. JP's was easy to install and the difference is incredible. I'm guesing it's a lot cheaper than the Jewell.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
BTW, I was referring ot the Rock River NM trigger.
I havent used the JP trigger so I cant comment on it. I have the NM trigger in a US Prop marked RRA I just finished, and it shoots great! I will use the same on the next one I build as well.
Good luck.

JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jewell makes a wonderful two stage trigger for the AR-15.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
JAG,
Thanks for the reply, what is the pull weight on the Rock River trigger?

I must confess, I do not know the difference between a single stage and a two stage trigger.
My experience has been with set triggers and with ultra smoothe underhammer cap and ball triggers.

The rifle is a Rock River, assembled by an aftermarket builder, Gunsmoke Enterprises. I have had no complaints either with them, or with the rifle.

This is my first self loading rifle, and I am still picking up some of the fine points about it. I am an old smoke pole junkie, so when I started shooting rifles that don't take 2 min. to load, I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. Heck,we always thought that Winchesters were high tech. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
EL,
Not sure of exact pull but MUCH better then stock. I will try to find my trigger weights and see. Another option is to do the ever famous "15 min trigger job" found here:
15 min trigger job

Here is a good little chat about triggers....

Triggers

Remember if you are just plinking, beware going to light. You dont need a 3-4 lbs trigger for shooting cans or throwing lots of lead. IMHO.

JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
El Viejo,
The JP's are nice single stages and a good deal too. The only problem I've noticed with the JP's is they don't have enough energy to light off really hard 308 Winchester milsurp ammo and still get a really light trigger pull. I put one in an AR10 and found they work alot better in AR15s.
Any of the factory 2 stages need tuning by skilled hands to make them really decent. That is, until you get up in the Jewel and better range.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Fyi,,nm pull wieght spec. is 4 1/2 lbs..Happy shooting!!!!!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Thank you for all of the replys.

Would someone please explain the difference between a single stage and a two stage trigger?
Thanks