Tools

Swede carbine in 7x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, I think this has to be a re-barrel job. I've gone through all my referance books, and can find no mention anywhere of a swede rifle in 7 Mauser. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
WOULD HAVE TO BE a rebarrelled rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If it was rebarreled the sights will in all likelyhood be original to the 7mm barrel. Look at the info on the trajectory reading disc & plate. Does the data match with know 6.5x55 data or is it different. That will be the givaway. I know of no trajectory disc or plates in 7x57mm.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've read somewhere of the M94s being chambered in 7x57 for some country. Yes, I know where are the details. I'll see if I can find the article/book but until then I don't think that it was much over 2000 guns. I think you've got a great collectable gun.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Exercion>
posted
The tale is that Sweden barrelled a small number of carbines in 7x57 for a Caribbean country. I never saw a figure on how many, but few enough to be a very rare variant on the Swede Mauser

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Exercion,

Can you remember the source on this? I've been searching and I know that I read this in just the last 6 months but I can't find the reference.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
I saw The 7x57 Swede advertised at
Ellison's Military Rifles
http://www.ellisonsmilitaryrifles.com/home.html

94 Swede 7mm Only three thousand of them made. Made in Sweden for El Salvador. Two different grades. Some completely matching, and some just butt plates, floor plates and rear bands. 75%-80% overall. Good barrels. Collector rifles!!

All matching $750.00 , Mismatched $550.00 "new price"
hope this helps

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to get sick, I had three of these things in 1990. I sold them for what I paid for them because I was moving to Florida. $79.00 each...... No one wanted them because they were the "weak" Swede action. I would bet they are still up in Wisconsin gathering dust in some farmers closet as I write this.... [Frown]

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Thank you Roundbutt. (Frankly, you could have come up with a better "handle" than that!) [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie was correct. This variant has been described in print for almost a decade. The guns were rebarrelled in Denmark for El Salvador in the 1950s. They are in no way an official submodel, but just an armsdealer's idea of selling surplus to the Third World.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote