New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X55 with an 06 head size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought that I read on here that some manufactures are making cases for the Swede with the 30/06 sized hase head. Was I dreaming, miss informed, or is it true?

Thanks

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is somewhat true unfortunately. I bought 250 rounds of Winchester headstamped 6.5x55 brass two years ago that miked .273 in on the rim and .271 in. on the head. My NORMA brass measures .279 and .278. Several lots of .30-06 brass I have on hand measure .270 and .265. While not quite as small as the .30-06, it is not as big as it should be. Apparently they split the difference in head size. I still get swollen cases heads when I fire them in my M96. You should see what happened to the ones I formed into 7.5 French MAS and fired in a .484 in. chamber! That is what initially tipped me off to the undersized cases. Now I measure all new brass before reloading.

Posts: 3680 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Once, in desperation I made some 6.5x55 cases out of 06 brass. It worked, but I had swollen heads,even with moderate loads. I wouldn't recommend it.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why I ask is to see if I need to open up the face on my VZ24 action. I bought a new 6.5X55 barrel and will be making it into a 6.5X55 Imp. and wanted to see if I can run the brass with the smaller head or not.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
I have a Turk 38 with a 6.5 barrel. I use Remington brass which I miked at .473 at the rim. It works perfectly in this gun without any mods to the bolt face.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I wanted to hear. You say Rem. brass.?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Desy,

Sorry, I must have had a brain fart when I typed those rim and head measurements. Please substitute a 4 for the 2 after the decimal.

Posts: 3680 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
BOBSTER, did you mean .473, .471, etc.??

<Roundbutt>
posted
I made a small ring Turk that I put a short 6.5 Swede barrel and 5D sights on. I had to shorten the Turk stock. no modifications were made to the bolt or action and it works fine. I found the extracter grove on new Winchester brass was not as deep as 308 brass but the case head was the same. I groud away verry little of a 308 shell holderwhere it contacted the extractor grove and it works on all my cases and it works fine.