Tools

Need help finding ammo cans
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a couple ammo cans with the following dimensions-
13" L 10" H 7" W

I have some wiggle room in the dimensions, but I'd like them close to that. Obviously nothing US fits that dimension, but I was wondering if there may be something European or Asian that can work. Nothing really technical or special, I'm thinking about making some motorcycle panniers and those are the dimensions I'd like to shoot for.

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not aware of any US issue ammo cans that size, Mark.

The 6 x 12 x 7 1/4" is pretty close. Available from Sportsmans Guide and others on line.

The best way to buy them is to go to a local military surplus store.

Gives you a chance to check out the rubber seals and condition of the cans before you buy.

If you want to buy "gizillions" of them you can put in a bid at your closest DRMO.

DRMS Auctions

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really looked hard on that one, not quite meeting your specs, but lots of cans here:
http://www.armysurplusworld.co...ion%20cans|940493222

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the size is really critical you could take one of the old top hinged English ammo boxes, saw it off and weld it onto a box you've welded up to fit but before I went to that much trouble it would probably be cheaper to buy commercial.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, who was planning a bike trip to the Yukon, just bought a nice set of ready made aluminum panniers. Closest thing to the size of his size, I could think of would be the 20mm boxes.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

The reason I want these particular dimensions is I could fit 2 gallons of milk in one when shopping (that is good for about a day and a half around here!) A jug of milk is about 6" wide and 10" tall. Gato and Grizzly are both guessing something similar to what I'll probably do, which is either take some "Fat 50" cans- 12 in. x 7 in. x 8½ in tall and weld on some deeper bottoms, or take some 20mm cans- L 17" x W 7" x H 15" and cut them shorter in height and length and weld a hinge on the side I cut.

I have plenty of time to think about it, don't need them until the spring so I'll keep looking.

Otherwise, I'm going to spend a week making a pair and then find a russian ammo box the same size for $9.95....

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote