Find
Notify
Tools

Current CMP M1s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
I just inspected 5 M1 Garand rack grades, from the CMP yesterday. Complete crap. Don't waste your $700 on these pieces of scrap metal. They are out of most other grades.
Pitting on the receivers covering at least 30%.
Rephosphated, which does not hide the pitting.
Bores are good enough to launch bullets if you don't want to hit anything.
Wood was degreased, and rough and bare.
Trigger groups are rephosphated and are excellent.
Cases are fitted to an M1, but are twice as wide as necessary.
You do get free shipping.
Only someone who doesn't know what a good M1 should look like, will like these. Even then, they won't.
I fear that the old days when we used to get good ones, and I used to go to Camp Perry and pick them out, are over.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, since you did Camp Perry, perhaps you know Charlie Wallace from Austin who also went as well. He was/is a big time collector, + had a garage full of cases of M1s....before his house fire a few years ago. He had a million in insurance coverage, but that didn't come close

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No I didn't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered an Expert grade in 308 Win earlier this last summer. No pitting, new criterion barrel and new walnut stock. As far as authenticity goes, it doesn’t hold a candle to my IHC post war Garand. However, it fits the bill as a range gun shooter. I have refinished the stock with tung oil after this pic was taken.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, that grade is fine. They hand pick out the receivers with no pitting and rebuild them.