Tools

Edmond New Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
Dr. K

You can work your problem backwards. According to my ballistic program a 308Win shooting 165gr bullets and 2700fps (factory) produces 2670ftlbs. A 30-06 with 165gr bullet and 2942fps produces 3171ftlbs.

I think you can put aside the idea of a cartridge that will fit the bolt and length of action of the M-4 that will produce 3000fps and 3000ftlbs. It just won't work.

From the aforementioned data, one also can see that your "standard" of 3k fps and 3k ftlbs as it relates to killing power for man or beast is nonsensical. You can kill any man on the planet with a .308 165gr bullet with much less velocity and energy.

I don't know what you are looking for, but the military needs a round that can stop people at very close range who are wearing bullet proof vests. The old M-16 with 62grain bullets developed enough muzzle velocity to penetrate most vest. (1200ftlbs @ muzzle) The M-4's 14.5"barrel doesn't. Contrary to your assertion about the 7.62x39, it produces 1461ftlbs at the muzzle, around 900ftlbs at 200yds and 650ftlbs at 300yds.

It is a ballistic fact that the smaller the hole, the less energy can be imparted to the projectile in a given length of barrel. The only way to get a .223 round to go faster is to have a longer barrel. One can increase the bore size as a means of imparting more energy to the projo, this is why the 6.5, .270 and 7mm bullets fair much better.

The experiences of WWII let the Germans to adopt a shorter, less powerful round for combat in areas which were increasingly "closer."
The Russians rapidly copied it and rifle tailored to it, the SKS. It was rapidly supplanted by the AK. The US adopted the M-14 which was an improved M-1 using new powders to give 30-06 performance in a smaller, lighter round, the 7.62x51. There was really nothing wrong with the M-14 except the M-16 caught the fancy of Sec Def McNamara who want all the services to use the same weapons, uniform, vehicles, etc.

Today, to further enhance its handiness, the M-16's 20" barrel has been shortened and then shortened again to make the M-4. This wasn't a problem when our enemies weren't wearing body armor, but today more and more frequently they are. The M-4's loss of velocity has diminished it ability to take out enemy in close quarter combat and in the desert at extended ranges.

This is the primary beef of grunts in the sandbox and Afghanistan. The secondary gripe is about the vulnerability of the weapon to sand and fouling. This has been "cured" in several modified versions that have gone to a gas system more like the AK's and eliminated the gas tube of the M-4/M-16.

Looking at the terrain we are fighting in, it appears that we need (1) a rifle that is effective at long range for desert and mountain fighting and (2) one that is short for combat in built up areas. Although one cartridge could be designed for both roles, you are going to change barrels or adopted a bullpup design. If you look at the myriad of bullpups being fielded around the world, most have a rifle, carbine and designated marksman model finding that one size fits all doesn't work.

Back to the ballistic conundrum, my 7.62x39 load shoots a 130gr bullet at 2250fps(SKS). I believe that in an 18" tube, I can obtain 2400fps with a 120gr 7mm(.284) bullet with a blown out version of the 39mm case. This would deliver 1660ftlbs at muzzle and just under a 1000ftlbs at 300yds. The .277 and 6.5mm(.264) rounds in 120gr would be slightly slower because of the physics involved (smaller hole), but there would not be a significant difference.

The 7.62x39 Russian case blown out and necked down to 7mm, .270 or 6.5mm would meet the requirements of a cartridge that be deadly at close quarters and reach out 300yds with man-killing energy. There is no need to achieve 3k + 3k. It would defeat much of the rationale of maintain the "mouse" guns on which non-shooters and females particularly can be trained to deliver effective fire in a minimum amount of time.

This is probably more info than you wanted, but I hope it explains the ballistic problem you pose and the futility of pulling criteria for ballistic performance out of thin air. Kudude

A 120 grain out of a 6.5 Grendel is faster then your 7mm round. Why neck down a 7.62x39 to 6.5 when the Grendel existed and holds more powder?

For your information a new wave of bolts for AR's (and about time) have come about. Two types actually. One is for the regular AR's and is made of a better steel that is used in professional car racing transmissions. The other is proprietary. The proprietary one is capable of shooting 308 Win without any problems at all. The reasons for all this is the AR bolt is weak especially in the two lugs that surround the extractor. Before you say a 308 won't fit an AR MGI has modular lowers with interchangeable mag wells. They plan on coming out with rounds like 6.5 Carcano, 35 Remington, to name a few on the AR platform. Include that 308 also.

The reason there are some piston rifles used in the sandbox today buy our troops is because of all the bullshit of how bad gas impingement is. What made it bad was the M4's short barrel which puts much more pressure, hot gas, and fouling into the action. The M16 is just fine. Sand has nothing to do with which way the action is activated. For that matter a piston system presents more area for sand to foul. Sand will jam any rifle known to mankind.

Right the most logical round for the military without having ot build an entire whole new rifle is that Czech round slightly shortened and neck to 7mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal,

Your info about the Grendel substantiates what I was trying to get across. They already have it and I am not surprised.

I would not disagree with you comments about the M-16 in its current config. The problem is that our troops are not being issued the m-16 but the m-4. One of the new mods I read about uses the expended gas to actually "blow out" the area so sand won't collect and because the gas is un-confined, it runs cooler. I think that is one of the H&K versions.

To respond to this thread and because I have been away from military rifles for a couple of years, I did some research on bullpups. I was surprised at how many of them are out there. Some of them look very fragile and all are butt-ugly. The Israeli model had some nice features particularly the ability to convert it upon field stripping it from right hand to left hand. This is one of the problems with many designs. It appears to use the Galil gas system. Kudude

The other thing that came across was that if you want medium velocities, you need a barrel roughly 18" long. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
starmetal
one of us

Posted 07 June 2008 22:33 Hide Post
Dr. K

Well if you like Craig Boddington then he just did an article about the 264 Win Mag saying what a great round it was and he had one in his very young years and recently just acquired another one. No, I'm not saying that would fit in an AR, but Craig did say the 6.5 bullet is one of the most ballistically coefficient ones out there. With that said the afore mentioned 6.5 Grendel, for right now, I feel one of the best. I have one by the way and it's awesome for it's size.

Joe

I would agree Starmetal !. I was merrily trying to come close and the 270 short mag seemed fair .

I couldn't agree more that a 6.5 140 grain is ballisticaly ( is that a word ? ) superior . BC proves that Theory .

The 270 WSM comes real close at 3000 + FPS MV and 2700 ME . With a 130 grain projectile .

Which to my way of thinking is superior to a 62 grain going 3200 FPS .

I'm sorry it's taking me so long to get back with all of you !. I'm still having one hell of a time staying on this site . One reply I'm history it drops me and then I'm unable to reconnect too the forum . No problems any where else including the Up Front page . Just the forum end .

I must have pissed off the moderators or something posting in the political arena !.

Thank You Edmond ; As always your a wealth of Info as well as a treasure trove of visual posts !. salute

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected on my earlier post .

270 WSM Stats .
LOAD BULLET VELOCITY (fps)/ENERGY (ft-lbs) TRAJECTORY (in.) 200 yd. Zero
MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 100

Fed Premium 130 BT

3,300/3,145

3,070/2,710

2,840/2,335

2,630/2,006

2,430/1,705

+1.1

With a 150 grain it's .

Win. Super X
150 PP

3,150/3,304

2,867/2,737

2,601/2,252

2,350/1,839

2,113/1,437

+1.4

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote