Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle!

Posts: 84 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
How much do you want for it? Are you looking to trade?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
This one will stay in the family. I really don't know much about it. An elderly man gave it to my cousin who had no interest in it. My uncle gave it to me. Just curious as to any info about it.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made by Mauser's Oberndorf plant in 1943.
Appears to be one of 1142336 made that year.

If you raise the rear sight leaf you should find a matching 2 last digits on the leaf and the slider.
I think the stock has a serial number in the barrel channel.

Ask some of the guys at the Gunboard's Mauser forum. There are guys there with several hundreds of Mausers.

Mauser forum at Gunboards

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice Mauser, reproduction sling?

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
reproduction sling?

Thought the same thin Eric. Need to see the code stamped on it if any.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sling looks as new as the rest of the rifle. Where are the marks and what are they supposed to say?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
"The sling looks as new as the rest of the rifle."

I beg to differ, but 60 year old leather just doesn't look that good unless it's been kept in an airless vault. Especially so as there is no chipping what-so-ever on the buckle. Impossible for any rifle ever issued to "joe."

Regards,
Eric

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
nice rifle! thumb

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find any numbers on the sling. Eric,
I think you misunderstood my meaning of new. I meant it to mean pretty damn good shape. Is that permissable?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question if I may, how was the bayonet attached with the cleaning rod in place?

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is a hole in the butt end of the bayonet to accept the end of the cleaning rod.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:

There is a hole in the butt end of the bayonet to accept the end of the cleaning rod.

Thank you!!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Butch,

No criticism or slight intended, The rifle is just plain beautiful. I was only asking if the sling was a "repro," which in my book is just fine considering that original slings these days are more expensive than gold.

Regards,
Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
I used a poor choice of words and it looked a little harsh. All I know is that the old man that had it also had some kind of Jap rifle, an American rifle, and some other rifle that was representative of the war. He is now deceased, so any words from him are gone. I sure wouldn't know if it were repro or not. Thanks for the help and comments.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might look at the buckle closely.
The Germans were pretty anal about marking metal parts with a mfg code. It may as simple a single digit or letter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front sling band says 0201 and the sling has the eagle holding something in its claws. It has something like WF and something beside the eagle.It looks like it may have a 1 on the buckle.Uncle Bill said that he also found the bayonet and metal cover for it.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
The front sling band says 0201 and the sling has the eagle holding something in its claws. It has something like WF and something beside the eagle.It looks like it may have a 1 on the buckle.Uncle Bill said that he also found the bayonet and metal cover for it.
Butch