Find
Notify
Tools

Czech VZ-58 7.62x39 Semi-automatic rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
What can anyone tell me about this thing??? AIM Surplus has some for sale but I have never even heard of the weapon. The ad states:
"These Rifles are assembled in the Czech Republic with new milled Czech receivers, and original excellent condition refinished VZ-58 parts kits. While it bears a similar resemblance to AK type rifles, the VZ-58 is designed more like the German STG-44. Nothing on this rifle is interchangeable with AK type rifle parts. These rifles are still in service in Slovakia and the Czech Republic."
Still looks like an AK variant to me.

bewildered

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mechanically, there is nothing in common with the AK, even the original ammunition was developped as 7.62x 45mm starting with the VZ 52 later modified into VZ 52/57 when Moscow reminded the Czech that they were part of the Varsaw Pact and as such they had to harmonize all their equipments and weapons.
The Czech switched to 7.62x 39mm.

This is a very accurate and reliable rifle.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably a better rifle would be one that is complied from the East German Wieger STg940. It's an AK variant that was supposed to have been produced in 5.56, but the fall of the Soviet Union put an end to it. Something like that. Anyways Inter Ordinance picked them up and put on the required American parts to allow importation. They also build it in 7.62x39, with the 5.56 to follow. It's almost identical to the original. Good thing is it has a very accurate hammer forged barrel and they shot 2 inch groups with it at 100 yards with off the shelf ammo. How's that of an AK?

Edmond, you know anything about the original.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got both an east german MPiKm 72 and an original AK 47, they both were very accurate but the east german one shot better than any other AK I ever handled. With czech laquer coated ammo, I repeatedly shot 10 rounds into 8" groups @ 300 meters, it was really amazing.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe then that Inter Ordinance one is the one Trapper should take a look at. It's not terribly expensive either. The other changes to typical AK system that is it, were the stocks were changed, especially the fore arm portion. In fact they fired three 30 round magazines of ammo through it fast as they could and literally had the barrel smoking and the forearm wasn't hot. They also said the gas tube was different, but didn't expand on how.

Here's an article on the rifle and pictures.

http://www.ioinc.us/stgarticle.pdf

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What makes the vz-52 through vz-58 series unique is
the locking system. It is tipping-bolt as found
in the French MAS series, FN49 and FAL,
Tokorev, and several others but- it is front-locking! The front of the bolt is made with
locking lugs at the front which engage locking
recesses in the recvr rails, ala Garand. The
front of the bolt moves up and down to engage
and disengage the lugs.

I have here a bolt and carrier from a vz-52
and it most interesting. The bolt face slides
up and down across the base of the ctg during
lock-unlock. The carrier is made with the
necessary cams to produce this motion as in
the rear-locking tipping system.

I'm not sure about this, but I am thinking
that this is the only example of a tipping-
bolt front locking sustem ever produced.

Edmond, could you shed a little light on this
most interesting action?

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This type of locking has been developped at the end of the 19th century. A few european semi auto rifles used it. the French made a few variations of this system before and after WW1.

If you can get the german magazine "Visier" the April issue will include an article on the VZ 58, it should show an exploded view of the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, Edmond. I did not know
that there were earlier examples of this system
built, and would like to learn more about them.

This method of locking is appealing because,
while being front locking, it retains the
mechanical simplicity of the tipping-bolt
rear-locking system. Very interesting from
a design standpoint.

Got a good illustrated breakdown of the vz52
from the aether.

Thanks again

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should post it for everyone to understand how Czech post WW2 rifles work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They sell like hotcakes up here in the great white north.
My understanding is they are very good weapons, better than any AK-47. If I had too choose from the two ..based on what I have read it would be the Czech rifle hands down.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres a link that will get your juices goin if you like Mil surp weapons.

http://www.marstar.ca/index.shtm

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
up

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
VZ-58 Reliability test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLV9rd53vw

It is old timer. But if equipped with modern stock, muzzlebreak, collimator etc., it is great assault rifle even in 21. century. More accurate and better made than AK.

There are also different semi auto hunting versions:

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
I've had a vz.58 for several years, they are great guns. Mine is more accurate and much better made than the AKs I've owned. If you buy one you have to be careful what you get. Mine is a D.Technik which are the ones made in the Czech Republic and formerly imported by CZ-USA now imported by Czechpoint.

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

Century Arms also sells a version that they assemble and like most things they assemble it is hit or miss whether one of the their guns will run properly. There was also a company in Ohio that made a version based on recievers they machined themselves. I've not shot one but have heard they were of very high quality. I believe they were called a vz.2000 and the company was Ohio Ordnance or something like that.