New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bargain Day here...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought an M89 Danish Krag-Jorgensen rifle. Cheap. These are cool looking rifles. The cocking piece looks like a Colt SAA hammer, and the magazine box has a knob on top and swings out towards the front. Round safety on the right side, and a magazine cut-off on the left. Numbers match, including the ladder rear sight. The barrel has a large diameter sleeve on it I believe it is the 8X58Rmm rimmed cartridge. NORMA still makes ammunition and brass for it, and I am looking for dies and a shell holder. Another useless, but utterly charming rifle to play with.
Factory loads from NORMA features a 196gr SP at 2870fps @45,000Psi. More than any factory 30-06 ammunition these days.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Rich,

That sounds neat, you have any pics of it? You're right, that's a pretty stout cartridge.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Norma loading may be an error perpetuated by cartridges of the world. People trying to duplicate that load in the Swedish and Finnish rolling blocks have blown the guns up.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cool!

I just plan on shooting cast bullets in it for now. I have a weakness for Krags.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The so called Norma factory loads listed in Cartridges of the World never existed as factory loaded ammunition. Norma, to my knowledge never loaded the 8x58 Rimmed Danish anywhere near what COW lists. These loads are suspect as to pressures generated, since Norma did not pressure test them. They also appear in the early Lyman reloading manuals. Norma dropped production of the 8x58RD sometime in the 1960s. Although it may have existed, I have never seen Norma boxer primed brass for the 8x58RD. Currently, brass suitable can be obtained from Buffalo Arms Co.

Danish 8x58R