New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indian FN FAL L1A1 ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to buy an Indian made FAL for $400. What makes it a bargain is that it is already inside NY state with the banned features. I'm buying from the local gun shop who said it was traded in by a local cop so I'm pretty sure all is kosher and legal with grandfathering in pre-ban features. I'm not 100% certain that it isn't a parts gun. Not all #s match but that doesn't mean much to me. The receiver stamped 1974. The import stamp is Century arms on the barrel. It has the synthetic pistol grip furniture.

Any opinions or info? Anybody know anything about the Indian model - like is it inch or metric for starters? Etc? Etc?

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indian FAL's are the worst! They are unlike any other FAL. Most parts on the lower will not interchange. What does the upper reciver have stamped on it?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
howdy:
I have an Indian 1A1. I would think the Century Arms stamp indicates an assembled gun Seing as you live in the U.S., I would assume the lower receiver is not original, since by your definition that would constitute a machine gun. I bought mine cheap for about 150 Can. Nowadays here that also constitutes a prohibited weapon. Mine is dated 1964, the same as a LE #4 I have, so I would assume the Indians were merrily producing both at the same time. Without a doubt, they are the crudest of the FNs. Evidence of file and Mill marks abound and I would probably really hate myself if I ever went to find out what kind of steel they used, probably some old rails from the British era!! The wood appears to be some asian exotic. Sling fittings are almost as bad as Chinese SKS. Interesting piece though, proves the Comnunists weren't the only ones who could build crude guns.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello again:
Sorry, that should read upper receiver not original. Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
For $400, why not? As stated, the Indian made FAL's are the poorest, but my concern would be the Century Arms assembly. Most of their "tech people" shouldn't have access to tools. Especially on firearms.

FIRST, carefully look over the piece and insure that no one has ground the feed ramp on the upper receiver with a die grinder. I have seen two CAI rifles with ground feed ramps and it ruins the receiver.

If the receiver is unmarked, you can inspect the rest of the rifle for stupid stuff. Look for cross threaded screws, vise marks and such. If you are satisfied that it was assembeled correctly, buy it. You can always upgrade the parts man. As I said, $400 is cheap for an FAL.

Don't hesitate to give me a ring if you need to talk to someone.

Regards,

Eric

http://www.sandygunworks.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello:
I beg to differ. If you are going to spend the money, why not spend a little more and get something a lot better. Check out Shotgun News. There seem to be lots of good deals there. Let's not forget that none of these so-called American FALs are assembled by factory technicians. Check out the DSA arms website at dsarms.com and their pictures and report of the american built aluminum upper receiver for an example of what stupid people are willing to try. The biggest question I have with american uppers regards the lack of the full auto sear. This also doubles as a safety feature in semi-auto, so the rifle cannot fire until the bolt is fully home. I had a Canadian Forces armourer tell me that it is unsafe to fire the weapon without it.
Griz

<Eric>
posted
And if it pleases, may I differ with you?

First, the entire British Army was armed for, what, almost thirty years with semi-auto L1A1's? It didn't seem to bother them too much.

Second, the majority of FN clones I've seen by Century Arms are put togather poorly, to say the least. DS Arms is more than double the price. Enterprise Arms and Hesse have a quality control problem. Been there, done that.

Third, if the firearm in question is an Indian import, it at the least probably functions. I myself will take function over looks any day of the week.

A few dollars goes a long away to improve the general appearance of a FNLAR, and if it works, what more can you ask for? However, Mssgn asked for opinions. I gave him mine. I assume he is able to make the decision himself.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Eic;
Did I offend you? If you ever see a British L1A1 and an Indian 1A1 side by side you will understand that it aint the same. The scoop I get is that the Indians reverse engineered theirs from a British model. You bitch about poor quality, yet you don't want to pay the price for better. Admit it, this is a field that has no quality control or accepted standards. The case of the aluminum upper receiver on the DSA site is proof that these things can be hazardous to your health. It's strictly caveat emptor. Assembling an L1A1 is a lot more technicaly demanding than building an AR-15 kit. In Europe, at least such a weapon would have to pass state proof.
Griz

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The uppers are made by CAI, lowers would be Indian with new fire control group. Seven required U.S. parts.

When you build up a kit gun with U.S. receiver generally the hammer, trigger and sear, the gas piston, barrel weight and grip are U.S manufactured parts. Everything else will be Indian.

Questions? www.fnfal.com

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
LOL "Griz",

You have to do a lot more than that to offend me! I never said that an Indian FN/LAR wasn't "cheaper", or not of "lower quality" than any (and I mean any) other FN/LAR!

All I said was that $400.00 for any (and I mean any) FN/LAR clone was a good buy. IF (and I mean if)it is put togather well.

A FN/LAR clone from DS Arms, Hesse, or Enterprise Arms is at least twice that retail down here in the U.S. The Hesse and Enterprise have Q.C. problems, as does Century Arms. This I know from personal experience

Indian or not, if it is assembeled well, and it works, I'd buy it for $400.00. I already have one, an Imbel, that I'm satisfied with. But, if I needed one, WTF.

Regards,

Eric

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh yea. I'd pass on an aluminum upper receiver too. Aluminum is swell for many things, but I'm not convinced that it would survive too long as an upper receiver for an FN/LAR either. It's the locking lug thing you know!

[ 11-23-2002, 09:26: Message edited by: Eric ]

<prewar>
posted
I purchased an "Ishy" in the early 90's for $125Cdn. It does not jam nor break parts so the unique parts issue is a problem which does not exist. It may have more tool marks than other manufacturers but hey its a battle rifle, not something from out of Englands "best quality" gunmakers!! Mines been recently reparked/refinished and the rifle is an acceptable shooter and attractive to boot!! Ive seen FalFiles members mention that of their collection the Ishy is their favorite.