New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser K98 Erfurt 1915
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although I am an avid hunter, I know very little about old military firearms. An acquaintance has just received a Mauser k98 stamped Erfurt 1915. The stock was changed by the original owner. I have a couple of general questions:
1. Is it wise (from a safety perspective) to use such a rifle for hunting? I know it ultimately depends on the rifle's condition but is a rifle of this type and vintage generally acceptable for continued hunting use? The owner would like to continue to use it if possible.
2. What resources are available to find information on the rifle, its function, spare parts and, perhaps most importantly, reputable gunsmiths who deal with this type of firearm and can examine it and advise what needs to be done to insure that it is field-ready?
Thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 22 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is usually safe, the german rifles don't have issues like the US Krag Jorgensen or Lee developping hairline cracks in the receiver due to the fact US makers did not master metallurgy and especially steel tempering before Mauser trained the people at Springfield after selling them the licence allowing them to build the 1903.

Post a picture and describe the markings because there is no such thing as an Erfurt 1915 K 98, the K 98 having being developped in 1935 and the Erfurt imperial arsenal was closed in 1920.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
Post pictures and confirm what kind of rifle it is. Then you will see the resources will follow, no sense chasing info on the wrong item.
As for hunting with it, as long as your game laws allow the caliber that it is chambered for why not! I know of many people that hunt with milsurps and one that even hunts turkey with a flintlock. Just practice enough to be sure that you can get a clean kill with it. Many old battle rifles were sited at 200 yards and over so you may find that with the sites in their original state any shots from 100 yards and under will be way high.
Have fun! thumb

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try to post pictures in a day or two (when I can figure out how to do it). I assumed K98 because on the side it is stamped Kab 98 and on top there is a crown with Erfurt 1915 beneath it. There are several different serial numbers on the different metal parts. I don't know if that means it was put together from different guns or that is the way they did it.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 22 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Edmond,
I always heard the story about the Springfield/Mauser issue that we, U.S., were sued for pmt. by Mauser/Germany, but we did win the war and indeed did not pay anything even though we did lose the legal action?? May well be one of those "urban legends..." but will check with a solid legal source and let you know if it is correct. Seems fair to me not to pay since we did kind of end up with the points on the score board and the Germans did sign some sort of document stating that they lost. Actually they got a pretty raw deal and sure enough pissed off Hitler and they tried to do it all over again. Lost again, slow learners I would say.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser sued the U.S. Government for patent infringement and won. US paid patent fees until entering war in 1917 and there was a legal case after WW1.Germany lost. Check it, very interesting.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Edmond,
Very good, just checking your knowledge on the matter. Should have known better, but as I mentioned, did not pay after all. Many claim that the U.S. paid Germany for years after the war, and just not the case. Winner takes all in war. Good talking with you again. Very much liked Paris and my time at The Sorbonne. Outstanding facility in all respects.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Mauser sued the U.S. Government for patent infringement and won. US paid patent fees until entering war in 1917 and there was a legal case after WW1.Germany lost. Check it, very interesting.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Sort of reminds one of both the Germans and the Brits paying royalties to Sir Hiram Maxim, American born, for the rights to their machine guns during WWI. The Russians also used a copy [the PM1910?] but I don't know if they paid royalties.
And BTW, Edmond, have you ever considered writing a book? And alas, it appears I have once again hi-jacked a thread! Apologies!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am frequently asked to write a book especially about the development of automatic weapons, submachineguns that is.
Lately , I have located two other SMGs for wich no pictures had ever been previously published. It confirms my theory that many "famous" authors just picked up other people's works and modified it slightly to make it look like an original work since nobody can check.
It is quite fun to discover that some of these authors are not even allowed by their country's regulations to have in hand the firearms they write about and base their work on hearsay..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another think the Germans could have sued the U.S. on was that not only did we copy the Mauser action pretty good with our 1903 Springfield, but pretty much copied the 8x57 cartridge as well. All we did was make it 30 caliber and made the neck longer.

One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
Another think the Germans could have sued the U.S. on was that not only did we copy the Mauser action pretty good with our 1903 Springfield, but pretty much copied the 8x57 cartridge as well. All we did was make it 30 caliber and made the neck longer.

The 8x57 was not a Mauser invention .

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darwinmauser:
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:

The 8x57 was not a Mauser invention .

Notice I said Germans, not Mauser....wasn't the 8x57 developed my the German Comm for the model 1888?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a hurry after a French deserted and crossed the border with his Lebel 1886 and its smokeless 8mm cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
In a hurry after a French deserted and crossed the border with his Lebel 1886 and its smokeless 8mm cartridge.

Monkey see monkey do huh Edmund...lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to your original question, HD, the 8mm is a good hunting round and, while the WW1 Mausers were not quite as good metal-wise as the "between-wars" M98s, it should be fine with factory ammo. That said, having a 'smith check it is a good idea. The date under "Erfurt" is the production date; any other date that might appear would be the date of acceptance by the military.

Bud W