Find
Notify
Tools

9mm-Nambu automatic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedMy cousin brought over what appears to be a 9mm Nambu automatic. Iam not a military officienato of military pistols and I could not find any info on it.

It looks like a common Nambu with a much heavier barrel and an inlarged trigger gaurd.There is no front sight and is not designed for one. The barrel OD in front for 3/8" is larger than the conjoining section of the barrel by about .100". No sight was mounted there.

He also had with him an 8mm Nambu that could have been it's twin except for the trigger gaurd and barrel.

Can anyone help? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no 9 mm Nambu, only 7mm for the general officers model and 8mm Nambu for the Type 14 (1926) model that looks like a Luger.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/Armes-Historiques/JAPON/Nambu14/nambu14.html

The SIG P 220 ( Swiss P 75) is used now by the JADF and is sometimes called a Nambu.

Which one is yours, old WW2 pistol or modern pistol?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
There is no 9 mm Nambu, only 7mm for the general officers model and 8mm Nambu for the Type 14 (1926) model that looks like a Luger.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/Armes-Historiques/JAPON/Nambu14/nambu14.html

The SIG P 220 ( Swiss P 75) is used now by the JADF and is sometimes called a Nambu.

Which one is yours, old WW2 pistol or modern pistol?

The mystery Nambu looks identical to the one you're posting,trigger gaurd and all, except that the barrel is as I stated before and it measures 9mm or 38 cal. I will take some photos and E- mail them to you if you send me your e-Mail address. I've never posted phhotos on the forum before. waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inside diameter should be .323
I have examined some Mauser 96 in 7.63x25 (.308) that had been used with 9x19 (.354) since the chamber can accomodate 9x19 and people who used them during WW2 when they were fighting the occupiers did not know it.
The steel quality and the mecanism allowed these pistol to be used despite theses mistakes.

I don't think the Nambu with its delayed locking system would resit, the 8mm round maximum pressure is below the level of the .30 Luger;

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Check out this site, and send an email to the lady who owns it:

http://members.shaw.ca/tju/jhg.htm

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edmond ; A question regarding 8 MM Nambu . I have a friend who has one and loads for it . He read an article about using .40 S&W cases to form the 8mm from ?. He how ever ran into a problem with the rim being thicker on those 40 cases than the 8 mm cases . Do you know anything about this or where I might find out about it ?.

Thank You . salute

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ...

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BS. You can't use .40 SW case. The best case to form is 38 Super Auto but you have to remove the rim so go for 38 Super Rimless aka 38 Super Comp.
Midway has 8mm Nambu brass, Bertram makes them too, someone supplies formed brass in Shotgun News. Load carefully, it is less powerful than .30 Luger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I examined the pictures, you have a nice 2nd type Nambu made in 1943. It shows the large trigger guard and the spring that retains the magazine when pressing the magazine release.
these features were adopted after the campaign in Mandchuria where Japanese had to wear gloves and after they lost many magazines in snow.

It has been made the 17th year after its adoption as Type 14 pistol. Japanese counted the time since the emperor was on the throne, hence the Type 14 was adopted in 1926. Made the 17th year hence 1943.
If I had the pistol in hand, I could tell you about the odd measurement of the barrel diameter. It may be possible that someone shot a 9mm through it like it happened with french resistants shooting 9x19 in 7.63 mm Mauser pistol without knowing the real caliber.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedThanks, Edmond. The barrel is in good condition and noticeably different than any other Nambu barrel I've ever seen. Perhaps some individual was trying to convert over to some 9mm. It probably will be an unfired curio from now on.Again merci, Roger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Edmond ; As I was unsure because I have neither of those rounds nor weapons . I shall pass along the Info .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedThanks, Edmond. The barrel is in good condition and noticeably different than any other Nambu barrel I've ever seen. Perhaps some individual was trying to convert over to some 9mm. It probably will be an unfired curio from now on.Again merci, Roger beer

Buy some Cerro Safe from Brownells and make a casting of the chamber and first inch of barrel, we'll know what happened.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=2&i=609