New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me what I need to know about Steyr 95s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The local pawn shop has a couple dozen Steyr 95 carbines for sale for around $100. A couple of them look to be in pretty nice shape, but I know almost nothing about them.

What do I need to know?

How do you determine if they are chambered in 8x50r, 8x56r, or 8x57?

Are they safe to shoot?

What should I look for to pick a winner?

Thanks!

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Should have a big "M" on the top of the front receiver ring if they are chambered in 8x57.

If they have an "S" stamping, as in M95-S, they are 8x56, which does NOT take standard .323" bullets. It will shoot .323's, of course, but the bullet for which the S-marked rifles were made is .329"diameter. Some "S" rifles were made at Steyr, some in Budapest. I prefer the Steyrs, but the Budapest ones shoot great too.

The M95-S carbines in 8x56-R have a reputation for being severe kickers, but I have an original one in 98%+ condition which I shoot frequently and I don't find the recoil at all objectionable.

If you buy one, be sure to download or otherwise get re-assembly instructions BEFORE you remove the bolt for cleaning. Quite often the bolt head will snap around to an uncocked position when you remove it the last bit from the action, and if you don't know how to hold it to recock it, you're probably not gonna get it re-cocked or back into the action.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a suggestion for where to get the re-assembly instructions?

What is a fair price for a 95 carbine in nice condition? I looked at it and it has that big "S" on the barrel just ahead of the front receiver ring.

I understand that Hornady is offering 8x56r ammo, but don't know if they are offering reloading components.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Right now most of the surplus ammo dealers have 8x56R at reasonable prices.

Some of the guys over on the Cast Boolits board cast for these things.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one of the little buggers, ammo can be a problem, cases can be made from 45-70 brass, but it's quite a chore. Lee made a special run of .330 dia bullet molds for this and Midway had or has them. It isn't a big kicker, and next to the Winchester Mod. 94, is the sweetist handling little jewel ever.
Regards,
Woody

Never underestimate stupid people in large groups.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mecosta County, Michigan | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Reportedly these rifles have very large diameter throats. Some on Cast Boolits have had good success shooting .338" cast bullets in them, which fit the throat. Some have also sized down .338s to .333" for them, if I recall correctly.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woody - I agree they really are a nice handling little rifle and/or carbine. Just don't try to work the bolt from the shoulder if you are a stock-crawler like I am! (Invites an eye full of bolt.)

Ricochet - That's useful information.

Personally I am about to solve that brass availability problem a different way, I HOPE.

I have a .33 Winchester reamer in hand and have a cheapo .338" bore diameter barrel on order. Plan to rebarrel to have a straight-pull, bolt-action, .33 Winchester. From a measurements comparison, I think it may feed through the magazine okay without mods....

(I already have RCBS ".33 Winchester from .45-70" forming and loading dies anyway.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Do you have a suggestion for where to get the re-assembly instructions?

Jeff

ry this http://www.surplusrifle.com/steyrm95/index.asp

If that isn't the right place, then just "google" Model 95 Steyr. that'll get you lots of hits. Skip the references to Graf's having the Hornady brass, until April. They are currently out of stock.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting approach, rebarreling to .33 Win.