THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    moose hunt BC - CASSIAR STONE OUTFITTERS?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moose hunt BC - CASSIAR STONE OUTFITTERS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about a moose hunt in BC in 2013.
Any feedback about above outfit good or bad?
They hunt at the border to the Yukon.
Thanks.
rgds,
Andy

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i ll hunt in yukon if it was me.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
I too would if prices were the same :-)

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northern B.C. is going nuts with mining exploration. New hydro lines, helicopters, planes, etc.
I agree with MedVed..Spend the extra if you cna and hunt yukon..
I think many of the northern B.C. Areas have roads though rough.

Have a look also at Tahltan Outfitters. My wife just did a 10 day trip out there,
http://www.tahltanoutfitters.com or moon lake outfitters Shane Buchannan

http://www.moonlakeoutfitters.com/

I am not familiar with Cassiar Stone though am with Tahltan and Moone Lake.

Good Luck
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

if i was you i d contact the outfitters in Yukon and ask if they had any cancellation (just before the hunting season starts).... that will cut your costs and there is a lot of chance if you choose wisely that you ll be the only hunting that area during your hunt ....

Posts: 1872 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
The idea about booking late / looking for a cancellation hunt sounds interesting.
Do you have any other recommendations for Yukon outfitters?
I heard good things about Deuling and Lone Wolf.
Any other suggestions?
I'm mainly looking for a good moose.
Maybe a second animal out of caribou, goat or black bear.
All the best,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day mate go to the yukon! I just had five frineds hunt with scoope lake and it was nothing sort of a balls up! guide's wouldn't work for them, in one case buddy said to his guide there is a good goat on that mountain to be told by his guide he didn't think he could make it up there because of his bad knee's!!!!Between the six of them they were there for a month spent over a 120K and came home with five trophies in total!!!

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Northwest Biggame Outfitters, Jack Goodwin a call.
www.bcbiggamehunting.com
Cranker moose and will treat you right.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1238 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andy_7x64:
Thanks guys.
The idea about booking late / looking for a cancellation hunt sounds interesting.
Do you have any other recommendations for Yukon outfitters?
I heard good things about Deuling and Lone Wolf.
Any other suggestions?
I'm mainly looking for a good moose.
Maybe a second animal out of caribou, goat or black bear.
All the best,
Andy

Andy,

there is some outfits here but you have to select the right ones.

only one is offering goat hunting. and they re damn good about what they do ...

Lone wolf is maybe a good company but first they re trying to sell and second this area is one where local hunters have "easy" access so you wont be alone ....

now you need to define what kind of hunt you re looking for : argo, atv, horses, boat ...

for the moose the biggest are not on the south side but more central or even north, then caribou you ll find more in central side ...

so if you want goat,caribou and moose ceaser lake especially if you re after horses adventures and you wont see a lot of local hunters.

if you want the biggest : Mcmillan is the place to go certainly but guides are often newbie (dont know that much the place) as Shockey but sometimes you pay over for what you get.

Myself if i ve to come here as a non resident first i ll try the outfitters living yearly round here but that s just me.

all the best.

One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
thanks medved.
I'm looking for boat or horse hunt. not argo or atv.
primary goal will be a good moose.
area should be remote with not a lot of hunters...
I will check out deuling, ceasar lake and some others.
rgds,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Have not hunted with them but hear they are top notch
www.huntbpo.com

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a great trip with Stone Mountain Safaris in 2008. You might check them out. Lots of game upo there.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also hunted with Stone Mountain Safari in 2003. Lots of game, excellent backcountry hunt, Great moose hunting from horseback.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
What do you call a good moose..... as in what do you hope to get? BC is beautiful but it has changed so much in the last couple decades with increased population and thus increased resident demand. Then stick in the oil and gas exploration and other mining activity, logging..........

When I go and see places I hunted or guided in 20 years ago it almost brings me to tears. Having said that there are some good places left in the NW and NE but you have to do your homework.

Everything in the Yukon is not sunshine and roses either. So same thing, do your homework. Caesar Lake has good moose. There are some real good moose in the NWT as well but they tend to be a bit pricey. Grand country though.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all your input!
I will go with one out of the following outfits:
Cassiar Stone in BC, Deuling, Blackstone, Yukonsheep and Ceasar Lake in the Yukon.
Rgds,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The Lancaster's in BC or the Yukon. Rogue River in the Yukon and Bonnet Plume as well. You cannot go wrong with any of them. There are several really good ones but these are ones I have first hand experience with. Shot several species with the Lancaster's.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an excellent hunt with Teslin Outfitters, but it looks like the outfit is now called Yukon Big Game Outfitters LTD.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much hunting pressure in Teslins concession for me.
Largest moose in the Yukon I think with Blackstone.

Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
The Lancaster's in BC or the Yukon. Rogue River in the Yukon and Bonnet Plume as well. You cannot go wrong with any of them. There are several really good ones but these are ones I have first hand experience with. Shot several species with the Lancaster's.

Rogue River : is it the Jim Shockey outfitting that you recommend : just to be sure ??? ... unless you re on film and well known vip that place is not the best to get a moose and you ll pay more than in other places ... certainly one of the best location but maybe not the best outfitting ... (look my location and there is a chance we the Yukoners know a little about the small world we re in )... i dont remember seeing one of the guys here recommend them ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
Too much hunting pressure in Teslins concession for me.
Largest moose in the Yukon I think with Blackstone.

Watson Lake

there is some good taken too on the rogue river and mc millan river but both wont be my choice.

todays some hunters are paying high prices for 50" and less (we re talking about alaskan yukon moose....) so be sure the homeworks is really really well made.