New
Find
Notify
Tools

More MEC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm getting messages from all angles about the MEC initiative to support the grizzly hunting ban. Trappers, outdoor writers, SCI Alberta chapter and others, all are sending notes of concern and stronger to MEC, and letter of appriciation to the AB government for their continued support of the grizzly hunt. It looks like we're creating a bit of noise here, join in if you haven't done so. Drop me an e-mail off-list if you want to have the messages forwarded.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, but I'm really surprised. I had always thought MEC was one of the good guys in the industry, maybe not. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the PFO letter I received from MEC today:
Quote:

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for your email and the concern you have voiced about the grizzly bear hunt in Alberta. Be assured, all feedback is being compiled for the review of Senior Managers and the Board.

As a co-operative, MEC strives to support and participate in our local communities; this includes community groups. We provided approval to use our Calgary store to raise public awareness of the annual grizzly bear hunt in Alberta, an issue of concern to this specific group.

MEC supports science-based conservation and environmental research. In 2001, MEC provided funding toward a five-year study of the population and movement of grizzly bears in Alberta�s Foothills Model Forest. The study data will help wildlife managers better understand the province�s grizzly bear population.

I would emphasize that MEC did not deliberately set out to alienate hunters or the hunting community. The support we offered to the environmental groups in question was in accord with the values that MEC represents.

Yours sincerely,
Lorne,

Mountain Equipment Co-op
130 West Broadway
Vancouver BC V5Y 1P3

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got something along those lines, albeit a bit more elaborate, but it used the same sentences that were in yours. I suppose the have a few form answers that they use.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote