New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum rifle barrel length ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going on 2 Canada hunts this year. I have several carbines with short barrels. Is there a minimum barrel length ? Remington bolt action with a 16.5 inch barrel legal ? (its custom)
I went to the firearms websight, but did not understand it. HELP thanks.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know 18.5 inches is the minimum.

Unless it's a factory gun like the Win.'94 Trapper you could be in for some grief.

The Canadian gun laws have a lot of what I would call "sucker clauses". As opposed to Santa clause this one takes away your toys!

Unless you are positive in what you are doing you better leave your stubbies at home.

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy guns with short barrels that are legal and non-restricted in Canada. I just bought a Norinco M98 pump shotgun (Rem 870 clone) with a 14" barrel from a local gunshop and it is completely legal to carry for hunting. I believe the law states that non semi's must have an overall length of not less than 28 inches from muzzle to end of stock (a 14" barrel with a pistol grip stock would therfore render this shotgun prohibited). I think it is only semi-auto's that have the barrel length restriction and I believe it was the less than 18 1/2" barrel length that the feds used as a reason to make the M1 carbine a restricted weapon in Canada many years ago.

Posts: 225 | Location: YYZ | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So my little 34" bolt action is legal Harley ?

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I think it is legal...

GO to canadiangunnutz.com and ask there, as there are a number of guys really up to speed on the more intricate laws.

It has to meet a certain length criteria, but as pointed out, it's legal to own a 14" barrel shotgun...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Total length must be over 26" for any non-restricted firearm. Barrel length must be over 18 1/2" unless the firearm was manufactured and imported with a shorter barrel such as the trapper '94 . Your custom rifle has an altered barrel which would be illegal.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote