THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Sattelite phones on remote trips - A GOOD THING

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sattelite phones on remote trips - A GOOD THING
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
How many of you pack satt phones on your remote backpack hunts?

I haven't traditionally bothered with sattelite communication. I am glad I did this time! It brought it mainly because there would be a couple guys in their later 50's on the trip, and we'd be spending a significant amount of time a long walk from help. I wasn't really thinking I'd need it for me though!

It wasn't a hunting trip, but was an 8 day through-hike in the Purcell Mountains. 4 days and 37 kms in to the trip, my buddies and I were in the pass and looking forward to 4 more days of mostly down-hill! We were all feeling pretty good, as it was a first time in a mountain pass for two of the guys and had been a pretty good grunt to get there.

While preparing dinner, one of my buddies was helping me with some freeze dried dinners and lost his grip on a pot of boiling water. It landed on my foot, and emptied out on my ankle. Fortunately a creek was nearby and I got it good and cold right away. We new right away it was pretty bad.....

Anyway, since the schedule was tight for completing the hike, and it wasn't looking good for me to be able to finish the trip anyway, we dug out the satt phone and called me up a ride to the hospital (rescue helicopter).

Turns out I had about 22 square inches of 3rd degree burn....a good thing I didn't try to hike on it for four days! I would have risked a bad infection. The pain is pretty brutal, and we didn't have any Percocet (my new friend) with us either. [WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE...]

So, the morale of the story is: sattelite phones (or those new SPOT devices) are cheap insurance and will be a part of my gear for any remote trip from now on. You never know what kind of little mishap might immobilize you, or threaten your life.

Now I just need this thing to heal fast so that I can still make it on my stone sheep hunt in 3 weeks!!!

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hiked the E.G.P. trail from the west end to just past the summit and return many years ago; I knew the guys who laid it out and was involved a bit in saving that wilderness from the "management" of the BCFS and forest companies.

Fortunately, the Dsve Barrett administration listened to us and Bob Williams enacted the legislation to create the Conservancy. It was our first major victory in the battle to save a little of BC's wilderness heritage from the destruction that has been so much a part of resource extraction.

I hope you heal up real fast and I gotta agree, the Sat phone IS a very good idea for those who can afford such gear. That is a nasty scald and it is a damm good thing that you were wise enough to not "macho"it out as serious infection CAN result. I dam near lost my right leg due to an accident on a CCG Lightstation years ago, due to being too damm stubborn to get a helivac when I should have.

Do not rush it, the Stones WILL be there next year, but, a buggered leg lasts a lifetime as I know only too well. Best to ya, keep us informed as to how you are coming along.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Canuck... that looks nasty! Three weeks is not a lot of time, buddy. I managed to acquire a two-inch long burn on my wrist earlier this summer, and it took longer than that to heal completely. Of course it didn't receive any particular care, other than going swimming three times a week ;-)

I hope things work out... I guess I'd better go buy one of those avalanche beacons.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch I have a hard time beliving you well be sheep hunting in 3 weeks.

I wish you the best and hope you make the hunt but I think one could rub that raw again hiking.

Get better for hunting.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well-wishes guys.

I look at it and don't figure there's much chance of hiking on it in 17 days either...but, two different doctors say there's a decent chance it might be ready if we keep pouring the Flamazine and Bactogras to it and avoid infection. Since I have a substantial non-refundable deposit on the flight (and a very anxious partner who isn't allowed to go alone), I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't count on it!

Dewey...I followed your advice on some gear items and they seem pretty good so far. Got the MR NICE 6500 pack, a SilTarp II and a ID Unishelter with the EXP fabric. Very well made stuff. Thanks for the tips (over at HBC)! Made my researching and decision process much easier.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any idea what the med flight out cost. I know yu have a whole differant paying system up there.

Around here the min I thinking is up to around 10000 US.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just a recommendation go with the iridium system
I have a globalstar and the availability is about 25%, most of the time I can't get a signal and have to wait 10-20 min until a sattelite is in range. just to avoid all the tips on use that i'm going to get I know that trees and whatnot effect the signal I use it where i have a clear view south I doesn't make much difference. A friend has a iridium phone
we did a test and stood side by side he had a constant signal for 15 min I had nothing, the iridium phones a lot more money but if you need them I think their worth it

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I've heard the globalstar phones have been working a bit better recently, anyone had any experience the last few weeks. The Iridium's are awesome but the $$$$ ouch.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pd shooter the cost of that med flight would be free

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, what are you doing for a bag to go with the bivy-tarp rig?

I like my Unishelter and I use a Siltarp III with it, 4 more ozs., but, quite a bit more coverage....it took me awhile to decide.

What I REALLY like, tho', is my Integral Designs Mega Sola plus a Silwing or Siltarp II. This weighs 3 lbs. 9 oz, plus 12 or 14 oz. for the tarp, but, it is the BEST serious mountain shelter I have ever tried, just bombproof and super easy-quick to erect. You CAN use this without a tarp above treeline and it is just a fantastic rig.....like all really fine gear, it does cost a mite....... ya can't win!

Did you get the dual Fliptops and Longpockets for your pack? I find these a huge benefit and MR is coming out with a pair of waistbelt pockets as well, as shown on their site. With the Gunbeared rig, you can mix and match and I am still tuning my pair of NICE packs to the nth degree.

What are you using for a basecamp tent?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Thanks for the well-wishes guys.

I look at it and don't figure there's much chance of hiking on it in 17 days either...but, two different doctors say there's a decent chance it might be ready if we keep pouring the Flamazine and Bactogras to it and avoid infection. Since I have a substantial non-refundable deposit on the flight (and a very anxious partner who isn't allowed to go alone), I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't count on it!

Canuck

You can do it!! (somebody had to say it Wink)
Vitamin E, Milk Thistle Extract and that stuff they call "Second Skin".
And sorry dude, no cervezas!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend this for back packing. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.html. Weighs in at around 3 pounds depending on the model.

Have been using one for scout campouts for the past year.

It is rated four season when used with the under pad and over cover. Kept me dry in a blowing thunderstorm.

The most comfortable way i've found to sleep in the out doors.

Can be set up without trees using trekking poles, sleeping pad and a ground cloth.

Good luck,
Jeff Collins

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
Canuck, what are you doing for a bag to go with the bivy-tarp rig?

I have a decent -20c synthetic bag for later season hunting (Moonstone Mountaineer) but was lacking a good, light early season bag. Unfortunately, after the MR pack and unishelter (and some other purchases) my gear fund was in intensive care. Will have to upgrade my bag in forthcoming years. For the time being I picked up a cheap bag from MEC...a 0deg down bag, the Drake model. It should allow me to "make-do" for a little while anyway.

I like my Unishelter and I use a Siltarp III with it, 4 more ozs., but, quite a bit more coverage....it took me awhile to decide.

I thought about going that way, but went for the little tarp. You have me regretting it now. Smiler Razzer

What I REALLY like, tho', is my Integral Designs Mega Sola plus a Silwing or Siltarp II. This weighs 3 lbs. 9 oz, plus 12 or 14 oz. for the tarp, but, it is the BEST serious mountain shelter I have ever tried, just bombproof and super easy-quick to erect. You CAN use this without a tarp above treeline and it is just a fantastic rig.....like all really fine gear, it does cost a mite....... ya can't win!
I admired that combo and thought about it...it sure looks practical. If and when funds allow, I might have to try it too!

Did you get the dual Fliptops and Longpockets for your pack? I find these a huge benefit and MR is coming out with a pair of waistbelt pockets as well, as shown on their site. With the Gunbeared rig, you can mix and match and I am still tuning my pair of NICE packs to the nth degree.

I got the pack with fairly short notice, and wasn't sure if I'd need the extra pockets, etc, so went without (just one extra water bottle holder). After using the pack for a few days I will definitely get some flip pockets and side bags. I did also get a Universal Gunbearer from Kifaru, and while I didn't use it on this last trip, I have played with it at home and am looking forward to using it on a hunting trip. Very slick and comfortable.

What are you using for a basecamp tent?

Another area that will require upgrading. About 10 yrs ago when I couldn't afford better I started using a Eureka Mountain Pass 2XT tent and it has served me very well. It is what I still use as a 2 person basecamp tent for drop-camp sheep hunting etc. I have been admiring the Hilleberg tents that you recommended though, and they do look good. Might have to get by with that cheap Eureka for a couple more years though, while I save up for something like those Hillebergs! Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck,

i feel for you, i did the same in almost the same place but with cooking oil,

hurts like hell.

i hope it heals quick

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Wow Chris sorry to see your mishap. You made the right choice to take a flight out. Your burn may heal in time but remember you will have baby skin and it will blister really quickly if rubbed. It will take a good while before you can can have a boot rub on it. I'll call tomorrow.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you, Chris. I've been tempted by the Spot ads, but I have some reservations. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's a one way communication device and I wouldn't know if my emergency message has been receivd. I have to access three GPS sattelites to determine my position and a tel sat to send the information. Not always possible. Then, who actually receives the 911 message and are they going to be able to forward it to the appropriate first responder?
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
here is the SPOT website to answer your questions Grizzly
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Ouch, that looks painful. My wife and I just got back from a 5 day canoe trip in the boundary waters of northern minn. she rolled her ankle pretty bad while on a portage. Good thing we were close to the end of the trip.

I'm not sure what we would have done if it was earlier in the trip and she would have broke it. Before our trip we had debated about a sat phone or SPOT. I think we will probably carry one next year.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How's the leg now Canuck?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that you made the Stone hunt, amigo ! thumb

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That is terrible to hear ALF. Very sad. Happens every year it seems though.

Canuck

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
How's the leg now Canuck?

Frans

Gettin better all the time. The wound finally "closed" on Friday last week (ie. is now totally covered by skin). Its still too tender to do much with it though, and it (the new skin) is apparently very susceptible to blistering. Given the location, boots aren't an option for a little while yet (maybe a couple months??)

Here's a pic....it looks awesome to me Smiler, although I think my dreams of becoming a "foot model" may be in jeopardy. Wink Big Grin

Scruff....nope on the sheep hunt, sadly. 2009 or bust! Big Grin

Cheers
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!! Dang, that looks like it still hurts!
A couple of months, well, it should give you time to "toughen" the new skin for deer season.
Also it can tie you to the reloading bench for some loadings on the 375 Ruger.

Have fun!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I carry one (iridium) and a spare battery. My encounter was a close call with a timber rattler with 11yo daughter in tow. No harm done, but was a game changing event for me.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote