New
Find
Notify
Tools

PAL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got around to taking (and passing ) the PAL test Sunday. In reading the books I found some crazy stuff about Canadian Gun Laws. For instance, do you guys know why 4" barrels are prohibited? Or why .25 and .35 calibers are prohibited?

The idea that you are not allowed a loaded gun in the house or to protect your home or family with a firearm is very disturbing. I guess you need to call it a varmit rifle and you would be all right.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

do you guys know why 4" barrels are prohibited? Or why .25 and .35 calibers are prohibited?

Because the government listened to Wendy.

There are very few of us that got grandfathered, most here took the course. I had trouble keeping awake.
scored 98&100.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As John says, the government went with the anti view of things, and their view was that 4" and shorter barre's were only good for criminals that would like to hide a handgun under a coat or such. Ditto the prohibition on 25 and 32 calibers in pistols. They went with it because the Toronto police chief stated that only the gangbangers used those calibers (he sort of forgot about the Olympic pistol team). Sure you can have a gun in your house for self defence, it just has to be unloaded, with a trigger lock on it, and locked up in a "safe" container. I guess you're supposed to beat the home invaders with the container. The government LIKES victims. The more victims, the more need for special projects and crown commissions, in other words, more government. The thought that people would or could be self reliant is repugnant to the Liberal world viewpoint, and hence must be downplayed at all costs. Plus which, they get to set up a whole new beauracracy that they can then steal from to send the money to Quebec. See, it's win/win for the Liberals. Of course, anyone with a brain who would vote liberal would suck pus filled dead donkey dicks, but hey, that's just a personal opinion. FWIW - dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Yup...

Why is such and such prohibited? We say so!

Why is the AR15 restricted, yet the Mini 14 is unrestricted, even though they do the same thing? We say so!!

BTW When you are home it is perfectly legal to have a gun ready at your disposal. If necessary, you can load it. It's perfectly legal to have a shotgun with a side saddle fullof ammo sitting right next to your bed or couch, as long as you are home...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The story I was told was that when Rock was doing the research, or whoever was doing it for him, he found out that over half of the pistols sold in Canada had 4" or shorter barrels. My P9S H&K and my .45ACP Kimber both have 4" barrels.

Also the majority of 4" barrels or less were in .25 and .35 caliber. There was also a quote by Rock to the effect that 'after all that's what shot Lennon'. A particular hero of his. Interesting that a pot smoking, tax evading Doper was his hero.

I only got a 96% and a 100%. I challenged the course because I didn't think I could hack the two day version.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frustrating, huh?

My father owns a number of handguns with barrels under 4". Apparently I can get grandfathered for a specific gun if I inherite it, but I still can't go out and purchase another.

Clear as mud.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I find it puzzling that it was a Mini-14 in the hands of Marc Lepine that got us started down this twisted road and it is still listed as un-restricted. The people who put this shit together and run it, don't have a clue about guns, which is the underlying cause of all the stupidity we have to put up with. I recently purchased a Hungarian M 44 carbine. the registration certificate lists the model as Moisin-Nagant. How general a description could you come up with? As an aside, us farmers are still allowed to have weapons in a ready to use state, as long as they are not loaded.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Frustrating, huh?

My father owns a number of handguns with barrels under 4". Apparently I can get grandfathered for a specific gun if I inherite it, but I still can't go out and purchase another.

Clear as mud.

Well..maybe..

Go to Canadiangunnutz.com and ask..they'll tell you..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote