Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Canadian Gunnutz Site
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted
I made several posts, it was fast too, but then I got a debug error, and Kaboom gone again.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Folks!
Has anyone heard what is going on with the Gunnutz site?
I keep getting a 404 error. Thanks, LeRoy.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they minght be going to a new server. You can find out by going to Warm Barrels and Cool Nights web site. Theres a few CGN regulars over there ,someone will know for sure.

Posts: 45 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot log in with my password, Can anyone send me an email addy fo get this fixed?

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time. I had the same problem last year and they wouldn't even answer my emails. Intervention on my behalf by Gatehouse didn't help either. I gave up on the site! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The whole site is down. Apparently they have to move the site to yet another server that does not SUCK!

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Derf on this, CGN is dominated by a small group of people who are absolutely convinced that they are the ultimate experts on every aspect of guns, hunting and outdoor equipment.

I have seen Registered Professional Foresters, graduate wildlife biologists and other genuinely knowledgable and highly experienced individuals savagely attacked by certain self-styled experts.

I have noticed that most of the genuinely expert posters have pretty much stopped posting on that site; I am no expert, but, I can't be bothered with it, any longer, either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are self styled "experts" (Think Red-Green here) on every gun board. Nothing new there. I have gotten a lot of good info off of CGN- where to get hard to find ammo and parts etc... the Canadian slant is very helpful. I wish them well and hope they get their forum back on line. Warm Barrels is now an unexisting url for those who are wondering...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Posts: 27 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Doc, each to his own, eh. I prefer this site and Kifaru because I find more people here who have interests similiar to my own, hunting rifles, backpack hunting and so forth. I am not interested in "black guns", sniper shooting or anything like that. There seem to be more serious, experienced hunters here than on CGN and more guys who are into custom rifles and so forth.

I also prefer the tone of AR and Kifaru to any of the others, although I have been thinking of logging on to 24hour as well. The whole backpacking, lightweight rifles, pack out your meat thing is what really interests me.

As far as parts are concerned, I find that you have to get them from the USA, anyhow, so that's not an issue for me. I just bought a set of Talley Mounts from a gentleman here on AR and you don't find those in Canada, at least I never have.

Cheers, KMB

one of us
posted Hide Post
KMB,

I could not have said it better myself. Over the past six months the tone and attitude at CGN has deteriorated to a pissing contest between a handful of self appointed experts, as well as, the alienation of members to the point where very few people continue to participate.

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
In over a year I have under 75 posts and most of them on 2 threads and the rest in the buy & sell.

If it has to with merchandise in Canada, I will go there. Otherwise I hang out here for fire arms related topics and of course bullshitting over in politics. If it has to do with hunting itself, huntshoot.com is the place for me. Cariboo has quite the behaved loyal crew over there.

For the little time I spend over in CGN, I cant believe how many times its been down. I hate to say it but they are flirting with amateurishness.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
The only part of GunNutz that provides any real use to me is the buy & sell. There are a number of great, knowledgable folk posting on the other forums there but sadley they are outnumberd by the herd of idiots who's only knowledge comes from conjecture and hearsay.

I, and others, have posted this here before but if anyone is interested in a hunting forum that focuses on the 4 western provinces and the territories you can Go Here for a non-bullshit forum.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Boo,I had 13 viruses and had to get the computer scrubbed and reloaded and lost several sites. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had 13 viruses

I hope you meant your computer!

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, and here I thought it was just me that found CGN's site a tad aggressive.

Posts: 108 | Location: corner of walk and don't walk | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jeez, and here I thought it was just me that found CGN's site a tad aggressive.

I think the problem is that there are a whole bunch of them there that are just starting to go through puberty. LoL

Like I said before, there are some real fine people there but sadley it seems the inmates are running the asylym lately.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Cariboo

I agree. It's hard to get away with being honest there and not having some know it all tell you that you are full of shit.

"I'm not a big fan of _______ rifles. I have had problems with them ________ too many times"

"You don't know what your talking about! I have 12 of them and every one of them is the best rifle I ever owned! Why don't get your head out of your _____!!!!"

Next!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the real problem on CGN is twofold and I doubt that things will improve much when it is back up and running.

The first problem seems to be that many of the posters do not have a lot of hands-on experience, but, wish to be taken as "experts" by everyone. So, someone will ask a question about reloading, for example, and someone will reply to that question honestly, stating personal experience and whammo, the snide comments and stupid emoticons begin. In one instance, a poster sneered at a post I made concerning .300 magnum rifles, then, later stated that he had never even fired the cartridge in question.

The second problem is that there are a very few individuals who have serious emotional problems and attack others without provocation, simply to make themselves appear to be the "top dog" on the site. The administrators seem to have a rather biased attitude concerning what is acceptable and what is not as well. But, since it is a private site, they are free to do as they please, I guess.

I find that here on AR, people can strongly disagree, but, without the vicious slagging that is so much a part of CGN and I prefer that. I do not care how much experience or how many guns anyone has, I value everyone's opinion if they are sincere and courteous. One can always learn and it is not always the oldtimers who have the best ideas, we would still be using stone spears if that were the case.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I find that except for some of the rivalries on here, most people keep it pretty much civalized as can be expected on a forum where debate is the way ideas are shared. This is an international theme too so all in all it's pretty good. Most of the steam gets let off in politics.

I still want to log on to CGN as soon as possible. I have a couple of xtra bucks right now and would not mind doing some bargin hunting.

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a couple of xtra bucks right now and would not mind doing some bargin hunting.

Remember the Kamloops gun show is only a couple of weeks away! LoL Don't spend those bucks too soon!

one of us
posted Hide Post
KMB and others

We don't agree on everything, but I do apreciate your insight. The True advantage to CGN for me, is that it was all Canadian, and coast to coast.

I agree that one of the problems is the average age of some of the posters, but, they'll learn the hard way, same as we did.

I just ignore certain people. I think you probably know who. The "hunting" forum was always civil at least.

Early on, I ran a few polls, and was surprised to find that the average age was less than 25 at that point. Also, that the majority are range cranks, not hunters. Things to keep in mind when talking to them.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Jeeze its hard to get away with talking behind peoples backs these days!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone for a geezer site?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd qualify for that one! Just gimme a second to wipe of my bifocals!

Posts: 5753 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I visit there and browse once in a while but have never posted. A little too much yappin and not a lot of content for me. Not much into the assault rifle, blam, blam, blam, shoot em' up, in your face attitude that's prevelant there.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I post at CGN frequently. I do so for a number of reasons.

#1 will always be Canadian Content.

If you want a Canadian gun law clarified, it takes you abotu 2 seconds there. On AR it can take a week and you might get the wrong answer.

If you want info on gun dealers, gunsmiths, guns shows, etc etc etc in Canada, that is the place to find it. I had no idea that certain businesses or clubs existed until CGN.

I also post there BECAUSE there is a younger crowd there. Here at AR, I wil answer some peoples questions about reloading, hunting, etc, but the truth is there are alot of guys that are older and wiser than I am in that regard that post here, so I don't feel the need to contribute as much.

If there is noone encouraging the younger guys to get into reloading and answering thier questions, they aren't goign to do it. There are only about a dozen guys at CGN that answer reloading questions with any frequency.

I'm not really into black guns and handguns that much, but I DO own some, and I enjoy shooting them. CGN really was started by the black gun guys, so obviously the board will be domminated by those people. If I want to find out about those guns, I'll go there too.

The truth is, ALL boards have squabbling, and AR can certainly be the worst one at times. All you have to do is mention Match Kings for elk, 45-70's for buffalo or George Bush's spotty military record, and you will have a fight on your hands.

I've got pretty strong opinions on some things, and I seem to manage just fine there.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gatehouse you summed it up nicely. I visit a lot of sites. You're right, with the exception of the heavily moderated sites, they all have some fights. Like a good hockey game, nobody likes fights, but without them, everyone goes home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse - You are absolutely correct that CGN's greatest attribute is the 100% CDN content. And for no other reason CGN will be my first stop when cruising various hunting bbs. However, it seems of late that there are a small number of individuals who think they know everything and resort to personal attacks when anyone contradicts their posts.

When it is a matter of opinion or preference misinformation has relatively little consequence. However, when these same individuals persist with spreading misinformation on subjects such as hand-loading, game laws, or disparaging remarks about legal hunting methods (dogs, baiting, varmint, bow, etc) the consequences can be dramatic.

CGN moderators must reign in the derogatory or potentially volatile posts, demonstrating to members that the anonymity of the internet is not a license to make unsubstantiated or ridiculous posts. This will allow members to bullshit about hunting, guns, politics, etc - the real reason why most of us visit the site.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gatehouse - You are absolutely correct that CGN's greatest attribute is the 100% CDN content. And for no other reason CGN will be my first stop when cruising various hunting bbs. However, it seems of late that there are a small number of individuals who think they know everything and resort to personal attacks when anyone contradicts their posts.

When it is a matter of opinion or preference misinformation has relatively little consequence. However, when these same individuals persist with spreading misinformation on subjects such as hand-loading, game laws, or disparaging remarks about legal hunting methods (dogs, baiting, varmint, bow, etc) the consequences can be dramatic.

CGN moderators must reign in the derogatory or potentially volatile posts, demonstrating to members that the anonymity of the internet is not a license to make unsubstantiated or ridiculous posts. This will allow members to bullshit about hunting, guns, politics, etc - the real reason why most of us visit the site.

tikka300, Like I said before, EVERY BOARD has troublemakers and shit disturbers. If you go to the Big Gamne section here there is a long and heated swearing session going on.

More moderators is not hte answer. Here at AR, there is basically no moderators. Hunt America used to be a top notch site, and it has withered and died because of over moderation.

The best way to deal with troublemakers will always be to ignore them. Too often what is acceptable behaviour is left open to inter[retaiotn and the personal prefences of the mods.

PS It is my expoerience that the bullshitters and the name callers usually know the least about the topic that they are discussing, no matter how hard they protest that they are indeed 'experts.'

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka, in an ideal world, I would agree with you and would want to see CGN operated in a fashion where everyone was treated withh respect and courtesy; however, that is not going to happen, at least not in the forseeable future.

There are regular posters on that site who seem to have a deep personal need to lash out at others in order to make themselves feel better about themselves; this type of behaviour can only be addressed through clinical assistance which I rather doubt will happen on CGN.

The options are simple, IMO, if one does not want to be baited, mocked and harassed by emotional cripples, one can either be subservient and pay homage to those who know so much more than anyone else, educational attainments and field experience notwithstanding, or, one can simply not bother with CGN. After finally losing my temper there a couple of weeks ago, I decided that the latter course of action is the one for me.

I realize that, as Clarke points out, ALL boards have their troublemakers and over-moderation would not, in my view, change that, so, I think that one should just govern his actions by what he finds acceptable in terms of the behaviour on a given board, end of problem.

I think that many, if not most, of the serious posters on CGN may well move on due to the constant aggression and inter-personal slagging that takes place there; I, for one, am not going to allow myself to lose my temper again and so I intend to just avoid that site.

I do recommend www.kifaru.net, especially if you are interested in backpack hunting. Patrick Smith is an "old guy" like me and both an extremely experienced outdoors fanatic and a hell of a nice guy.I have had very interesting discussions with him about solo backpacking, camping and hunting and his gear is every bit as good as he advertises.

Gate....further to our p.m.s concerning a hunting trip with Big 9 of last autumn, I just talked with Cliff Andrews of Tetsa River Outfitters at the Tradex show and I intend to hunt with him in 2005. If, you are interested, shoot me a p.m. and I'll dig up his phone number, etc. for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is much "Home and Garden",but it is Canadian and as such it deals things like 303s,the cost of something reality and where to get a deal.I got a new Vari-III out of the states thanks to them.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just gotta say that I am in Canadian Gun Nutz withdrawal. Even though they squabble like a bunch of women sometimes... I really learn a lot and get a kick out of most of them. Somehow, Warm Barrels Cool Nights just doesn't do it for me.

Posts: 7 | Location: Collingwood Ontario Canada | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Canadian Gun Nutz withdrawal

I need to go to a gun show, or the range, somethings missing...

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's it, the weather here has been too wet to shoot, but, it's improving at last. I hope to go on Fri. or Sat. and merrily blast away, I might even hit the target!

BUT, my LEH Turkey hunt starts one month from today and Black Bear season is also open then,so, sanity should soon return.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a little '92 in 44-40 I've been itching to shoot.
All my (&**& 44 cal bullet moulds (44 mag) are no good though. They have to be seated too deep, and then don't feed well. I have to get a proper 44wcf mould, but good ones don't show up on the auction sites often, unless they are collectors items.
I'm looking for a Lyman, an Rcbs, or a Lee. I have the mould numbers for each, I need, just waiting for them to show up.

Got a bunch of factory stuff at the Pickering show, maybe I'll blast away with that, and a few of my cast loads that don't feed.

posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Canadian Gun Nutz withdrawal

I need to go to a gun show, or the range, somethings missing...

Speaking of gun shows... what did you think of the Orangeville one? There is another one on April 4th by the way.

Posts: 7 | Location: Collingwood Ontario Canada | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last Orangeville show was a good one, except I spent every dime I had with me.
I have to be in Markham all morning on April 4, for a meeting, so I'll miss that one.
I'm hoping to get to the Belleville show. A few of my hunt camp live in the area.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm giving the guy a break because he apologized.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paper tiger eh?
Yeah, those paper ballistics fights can be hell.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Ooooooh!!

150fps is going to change youy life!