Find
Notify
Tools

08 Antelope with a Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted
Just got back last night from a tough hunt in South eastern AB for what I now know is probably one of the most frustrating animals to hunt with a bow. I spent 5 days watching, stalking, hiding, waiting for the wind to die down ( still cleaning the dirt out of my ears) and several blown stalks before I finally used good old luck and managed to get this guy.

Second arrow I fired just as he was falling down

Old abondoned road I used as a hide

He isn't as big as the one I got last year with my rifle but, he certainly was worth it.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! I am totally jealous. Looks like a hoot. Smiler

Best regards,
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what area was this in and is this a general hunting area meaning i dont need to enter a draw....

id defintly be interested in rfile hunting 1 of these guys

im going out tomorrow to hunt 346-344-340 for mule deer wight tails and elk im also takeing last two weeks off in november to hunt elk and maybe prong horn but dont know any good area's for pronghorn yet.

would you be intersted in meeting up and doing sum hunting?

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I'm surprised you didn't use a decoy....you did it the hard way and made it work, well done!!

the chef

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Good work Canuck 32. As you mentioned it is a very difficult process and takes a lot of patience. How far was your first shot. I did a Pronghorn hunt in Montana a long time ago and you think the antelope went over a rise but as soon as you stand up he is right there. It's hard to sneak up on flat ground but lots of fun.
When you get a chance send me a pm to my personal email at destergaard@dccnet.com. The private topics that come to me from AR lock up my computer when I try to open them.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro, Antelope is a draw and took me 7 years to get my Trophy Antelope draw last year, This year I got the Archery draw and I hope I get the non trophy draw next year.

Calgarychef1,
I tried for three days to use decoys ( Buck and a doe) at a waterhole, but the antelope always ran away when they saw them. Finaly got one with the old spot and stalk and Tons of luck.

Dave,
My first shot was at 40 yards. FWIW last year with my gun draw I shot that one at @ 10 yards with my 338 Lapua BOOM. I had a few opertunities at bucks that would stay at about 60-80 yds but I limited myself to 40 yards with the bow due to antelope small size.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job! Getting them with a rifle was fairly easy... can't think how much effort it would be to get one with a bow. And there's not a whole lot of grass to hide that not-so-diminuitive body of yours! ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics aren't showing up for me?

I am heading to SE Alberta for trophy antelope Friday. Hunt is next week, the 20th-25th.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote