THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Canadian hikers killed despite bear spary

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian hikers killed despite bear spary
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Or because they put their faith in spray.

The two Canadian hikers killed this last week emptied two cans of bear spray.

https://www.outsideonline.com/...banff-national-park/

https://calgaryherald.com/news...ack-victim-relatives

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a much worse way to go. Calls to mind the "experienced hiker" who was unable to fight off the cougar east of Portland, Oregon, a few years back.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was in a national park where you are not allowed firearms, bear spray is the only option.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the same story as the other thread. Why start another pdog? Everyone knows you're the authority on bear attacks already. rotflmo

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
This is the same story as the other thread. Why start another pdog? Everyone knows you're the authority on bear attacks already. rotflmo

And the worlds greatest authority on bear spray! cuckoo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well having been trained in the use of spray.

Having carried it everyday for a couple of decades and having used it in my career as a LEO.

Having studied the use of it since it was interduce.

I most likely have a bit more insight then most when it comes to spray.

As far as a new thread it is easy for vital information to get lost the longer the tread is around.

The fact that this couple emptied two cans of spray and still were attacked and killed.

Then most likely fed on.

Is too important to allowed that fact. To be lost in the other thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The conclusion was that it was a predatory attack by a 25 year old sow in poor conditions. They were in their tent and according to reports I read only one can of bear spray was deployed. One has to wonder if an electric fence, widely available might have lead to a different outcome ? Also, Parks recommends traveling in large groups in bear country. This is a bad time of year for bear encounters, they're in the valley bottoms and building up fat reserves for the winter. We've had several warnings and closures since. I don't live in "Grizzly Country", but there have been multiple sightings and a couple have been shot, including one just up the highway from here.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1595 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the first linked article.

Colin Inglis said rescuers found two empty canisters of bear spray in the couple’s campsite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The conclusion was that it was a predatory attack by a 25 year old sow in poor conditions

I am sure that fact makes the dead people feel better.

It is just making excuses for what bears do naturally.

Modern humans tend to forget thousands of year of mans interaction with them.

That they are dangerous and should be treat as such.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
The conclusion was that it was a predatory attack by a 25 year old sow in poor conditions

I am sure that fact makes the dead people feel better.

It is just making excuses for what bears do naturally.

Modern humans tend to forget thousands of year of mans interaction with them.

That they are dangerous and should be treat as such.

I agree completely, they are an apex predator and we're just more meat on the hoof. Unfortunately, too many people have forgotten that.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1595 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree completely, they are an apex predator and we're just more meat on the hoof. Unfortunately, too many people have forgotten that.

Humans armed with modern firearms are the Apex predator.

If it were not so then why do we need law protecting the animals.

If humans want to they can wipe out most any critter.