Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attacks tree planter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/b...-airlifted-hospital/

A 21-year-old woman who was planting trees was seriously injured by a bear in western Canada in what authorities have called a "defensive attack."

The attack happened shortly after 3 p.m. on Thursday near Bearhole Lake Provincial Park outside of Tumbler Ridge, a small town in northeastern British Columbia, according to a Friday news release from the province's Conservation Officer Service.

"The bear first bluff-charged and the victim retreated to a nearby roadway, where the bear attacked," officials said.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is my firmly held retired professional opinion, that ANY bear who injures a human should be tracked down and killed. I now have 71 years of primarily BC bush experience, 66 years of Grizzly experience and started supervising tree planters for the BCFS in spring 1969.....I have NEVER lost one or had a bush camp damaged by a bear.

We NEED to reinstate our BC Grizzly hunt and get rid of the clowns in government who ended it. BTW, I love bears, never shoot them and consider human life more important than bears.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto$1946:
BTW, I love bears, never shoot them and consider human life more important than bears.

There are a lot of people who consider bears more important.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some bears are more likeable than some humans, In fact, most bears are more likeable than some humans. It used to be, if I went for a walk, I was as likely to see a bear as a human. Now, it is hard not to see a human. I can't honestly say I'm enamored of the change. If a bear threatens me or is damaging my property, I'm allowed to shoot the SOB. If a human threatens me or is damaging my property, I can say thank you and wish him a good day. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She was probably busy doing her thing and didn't see the bear until it was too late. Shit happens.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto$1946:
It is my firmly held retired professional opinion, that ANY bear who injures a human should be tracked down and killed. I now have 71 years of primarily BC bush experience, 66 years of Grizzly experience and started supervising tree planters for the BCFS in spring 1969.....I have NEVER lost one or had a bush camp damaged by a bear.

We NEED to reinstate our BC Grizzly hunt and get rid of the clowns in government who ended it. BTW, I love bears, never shoot them and consider human life more important than bears.

Bears need to have a little fear of humans. I have spent a lot of time since the early 70's in wilderness areas of Montana and back then when we had a hunting season on grizzly's they had a fear of man and for the most part did all they could to avoid man. They stopped hunting them around the late 70's and for a while nothing changed but as several generations of bears grew up without being hunted, they have gradually lost their fear of people and so now are much more aggressive and are causing more issues and confrontations with people.

I fully agree that we need to reinstate hunting even if on a very limited bases to put a little fear back in the bears.

Posts: 502 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if you can make Griz fear anything
In Alaska they hunt them on regular bases and attacks happen anyway

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:
I don’t know if you can make Griz fear anything
In Alaska they hunt them on regular bases and attacks happen anyway

As long as bears and people share space, there will be attacks.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote