THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Two killed in Grizzly attack again

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two killed in Grizzly attack again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It happened in my old stomping grounds, about 40 miles west of here. I hate to say it, but it's becoming all too common . No firearms allowed in the park either.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/two...rks-canada-1.6584930

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Welcome, p dog shooter [Logout]

Grizzly Adams1
One of Us
posted 01 October 2023 21:12
It happened in my old stomping grounds, about 40 miles west of here. I hate to say it, but it's becoming all too common . No firearms allowed in the park either.

Grizz

I wonder if they used spray.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Welcome, p dog shooter [Logout]

Grizzly Adams1
One of Us
posted 01 October 2023 21:12

Grizz

I wonder if they used spray.

They apparently had a dog with them that was killed as well, that could have been the problem. Loose dogs and Grizzlies are a recipe for disaster.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They apparently had a dog with them that was killed as well, that could have been the problem. Loose dogs and Grizzlies are a recipe for disaster.

The biggest problem was they were not armed.

Then that grizzles have almost become sacred in BC and a lot of other places

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonder what young Trudeau's take is on this.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinny suits in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver deciding how people in the woods should live is the problem. The western provinces should secede but let the kooks keep Vancouver.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
Skinny suits in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver deciding how people in the woods should live is the problem. The western provinces should secede but let the kooks keep Vancouver.

^^^^This! lol

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:

Grizz

I just went on a moose hunt in Alberta a couple of weeks ago, and while I was checking in my rifle with the Canadian Customs Agent he told me that I was not allowed to go into any Canadian National Park with my firearm.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So defend your life from a griz attack in the park and you go to jail? Awesome....just like NYC if a savage attacks you.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

Grizz

I just went on a moose hunt in Alberta a couple of weeks ago, and while I was checking in my rifle with the Canadian Customs Agent he told me that I was not allowed to go into any Canadian National Park with my firearm.

He was, of course, wrong in that assertion, but you are not allowed to carry a firearm in the National Parks. The same applies in the US, I believe, although there was some talk of that being tossed on constitutional grounds. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
They changed the laws in the U.S. late in the Obama Administration. Who woulda thunk it. You can carry firearms in U.S. National Parks now.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/f...n-national-parks.htm

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So defend your life from a griz attack in the park and you go to jail? Awesome....just like NYC if a savage attacks you.

What I heard was nothing was stopping you from carrying a firearm in Yellowstone National Park, but the instant you use it, you're in Deep Shit. Confused

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What I heard was nothing was stopping you from carrying a firearm in Yellowstone National Park, but the instant you use it, you're in Deep Shit. Confused

Grizz

There has been two for sure self-defense shootings one in Denali AK and Glacier in Montana

There was talk of charges in both but I no one was actually prosecuted.

Might have been a 3rd one but I am not recalling details right now

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Grizz

I wouldn't be surprised. Beats gettin your face ripped off by a bear though.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly, your quote fascinated me. Here's a larger excerpt:

"'When the horse has been eliminated entirely' , declared James Rood
Doolittle, 'and when sanitary measure are observed to prevent the breeding of flies, it
is clearly within the Vision that human life may be extended on the average of five
years or more, because the scientists have discovered that flies spread diseases, and
fever kills its victims by the tens of thousands.'
"One hundred years ago, New York City and Brooklyn had a horse population of
about 175,000. Many of the poor jades, overworked and ill-treated, simply dropped
dead in the streets and were left to rot there.
"In the 1880s, New York City was removing 15,000 dead horses from its streets each
year but not before their decomposing carcasses had augmented the foul smells and
the flies coming from stables and dung heaps." (Pettifer 1984, pp. 49-50, 52)"

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dad was raised with work horse.

We had them on the farm. Dad and us boys did a bit of logging with them.

I found tractors and such much easier.

My dad told me several stories about neighbors getting killed by run away teams.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

Grizz

We had that same law in the U.S until about 10 years ago.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
With the big bears, its best to travel in
groups: the best groups are: heavy caliber rifle, heavy caliber revolver or pistol, 12 or 10 GA shotgun with SSG-buckshot-slugs; bear spray.

Always take something significant as a backup to
bear spray. There are widows in the lower 48 and Alaska who will agree with this advice. There were no survivors in this Canadian incident. IF they had bear spray, it failed.
{ I have regularly carried a SA Ruger BH with 300 gr bullets in Yellowstone-within a backpack-until out on the trail. No comments from the Calif. hikers. In CO.-there were Calif. muttered comments.CO has been ruined by CA. migrants.}

*Lt Col Patterson was the real Brit engineer who shot the Tsavo Rail Line two maneless lions-in
British East Africa. ANYTHING else is Hollywood B.S. *

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF they had bear spray, it failed

They had bear spray and they used it.

It failed

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
This is reminiscent of an incident in Alaska some 3 years ago. Home owner was cutting trail near his home.
Late for dinner. Wife called neighbor.
Home owner was found killed by bear, with empty bear spray can near his body.
I carry a M-71 450 Alaskan in Alaska or an original 1886 Winchester in 45-70. It only takes one irritated
bear. In Arizona-Prescott area, this past summer, a cabin owner was killed by a 200 lb black bear. Black bears are also potentially dangerous and predatory.

The state law applies now in US National Parks,
as to firearm possession/carrying. I also retain a pistol permit honored in WY-MT. Canada is touchy about handguns. Waterton Park- Canada is just North of Glacier Park.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
his is reminiscent of an incident in Alaska some 3 years ago. Home owner was cutting trail near his home.

Discussed here at the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latest scuttlebutt I got was the attack actually happened a short ways upstream of the Ya Ha Tinda ranch, which is on the border of the Park , also operated by Parks Canada. Ranch personnel had to respond in the dark on quads, the bear, an unknown female in poor condition charged as they approached and was shot. Apparently, they were well dined on.

James R. Doolitle

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Grizz

Yup you shoot a grizzly and you are in deep shit, but if you absolutley have to, it beats coming out as bear shit.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450 Fuller:
This is reminiscent of an incident in Alaska some 3 years ago. Home owner was cutting trail near his home.
I carry a M-71 450 Alaskan in Alaska or an original 1886 Winchester in 45-70. It only takes one irritated
bear. In Arizona-Prescott area, this past summer, a cabin owner was killed by a 200 lb black bear. Black bears are also potentially dangerous and predatory.

The state law applies now in US National Parks,
as to firearm possession/carrying. I also retain a pistol permit honored in WY-MT. Canada is touchy about handguns. Waterton Park- Canada is just North of Glacier Park.

Canada is touchy about handguns. lol you re more canadians than we are ...

i can take my handguns in alaska and used them for hunting or protection and used as open carry not hidden but i can use only them in canada at the range ...

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Our liberal overlords always place our lives secondary to everything else:
1) Uncontrolled borders allowing in deadly drugs, criminals, and potential terrorists
2) Repeat offending criminals on the street without bail
3) And wild animals!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, I agree with you. The government has gone way beyond the realms of what they were initially set up to do. Regulation in almost every facet of our lives, + one of my pet peeves is the passing of laws designed to protect us from ourselves. To whit, mandatory motorcycle helmet laws for people over 18, + seat belts, + the latest craze over the opiate "crisis". Now, I don't ride a motorcycle anymore + I choose to wear a seat belt + I have no need to use any pain meds, but I resent being made a criminal because I made my own choice. That being said, I know several people personally who really need pain meds + it's like pulling teeth to get what they need. I have one friend who was hit by a train in Ft. Worth 2 years ago + paralyzed from the waist down + wheelchair bound for the rest of his life, but has difficulty getting anything stronger than Tylenol 3. Those folks who abuse the opiates + kill themselves won't get any tears shed from me; but to protect them from doing so also keeps folks who need them from getting them without a major hassle. I always liked the way it was handled in Belize/ British Honduras. It was wide open, buy what you want from the pharmacy + if you are so stupid as to kill yourself, they will gladly bury you at sea. That is as far as the government needs to go; getting rid of the dead to eliminate a potential health hazard. But just like in so many areas, once they start regulation, they go overboard. But again, that is why I used the over 18 stipulation. No one wants small children having access to things that are potentially harmful. I'm sure everyone has some thoughts on issues that don't require government intervention above + beyond what they are principally designed to do + that also includes doing what they are truly designed to do, such as protecting the country + people from enemies, both foreign + domestic; + that, they aren't doing. I'm sure I'll catch some flak on this, but that's my opinion.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe in helmets and I believe in seat belts.

I don't believe we should have laws requiring them.

Personnel response ability should be the norm.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
T. Jefferson and T. Paine as founders warned about
the dangers of large government.
I asked a USP Ranger about my 44 in a backpack-he said "no problem"-but I have both a retired Federal badge/cred and AL P permit. And I am not next to a dead bear-THEN it might be different. In 2016 talked to the Supt of Glacier who we ran into at Park HQ on a Sunday-a LENF Ranger had just been killed on his Mtn bike outside the West gate. Slammed into a 6-yr old grizzly. Hair samples.

Ask the widows about carrying firearms in or near
the National Parks.
I still ride older German bikes...but not in big cities. Like R. Reagan said, it only takes one generation for freedom to be lost to big liberal government-as its not in the genes or bloodstream.

CIB-Khe Sanh-1971

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again the comment from Reagan concerning frightening the populace, "we're from the government + we're here to help." He understood that we needed less government, not more. He was the last good president we've had, IMO.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 450 Fuller:
T. Jefferson and T. Paine as founders warned about
the dangers of large government.
I asked a USP Ranger about my 44 in a backpack-he said "no problem"-but I have both a retired Federal badge/cred and AL P permit. And I am not next to a dead bear-THEN it might be different. In 2016 talked to the Supt of Glacier who we ran into at Park HQ on a Sunday-a LENF Ranger had just been killed on his Mtn bike outside the West gate. Slammed into a 6-yr old grizzly. Hair samples.

Ask the widows about carrying firearms in or near
the National Parks.
I still ride older German bikes...but not in big cities. Like R. Reagan said, it only takes one generation for freedom to be lost to big liberal government-as its not in the genes or bloodstream.

I happened to be working there on project right after that happened
Story I heard was bear charged the ranger on bike, one bite, which killed the person and ran off never to be seen again
It happened right in employee housing area next to maintenance buildings and offices past West Glacier entrance

Posts: 141 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have a very strong relation and great attraction with grizzly. tell us more about your experiences than the ones related by newspapers.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While traveling, hunting, fishing, hiking/camping in Grizzly country. Western US, Canada and AK.

For the passed 50. plus years I seen and encountered grizzlies.

Fortunately they went their way I went mine. Without interfering with each other.

That said I like bears and like reading and hearing about bears.

Have since I been able to read.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forget now who first made this quote, but I've always liked it. "It's a good thing to have bears in the woods, it keeps you humble." It might have been Ben Lilly, but I kinda doubt it, as he spent a lifetime trying to eradicate them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It's a good thing to have bears in the woods, it keeps you humble."

Don't know about humbling, but it makes the woods interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
"It's a good thing to have bears in the woods, it keeps you humble."

Don't know about humbling, but it makes the woods interesting.

Wouldn't be worth going there without bears.

James R. Doolitle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plenty of places that don't have bears that could be interesting.

Australian comes to mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

they have snakes and spiders ... no thank you. let alone sharks, crocodiles, jelly fish ...

bears i can deal with ...

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
quote:

they have snakes and spiders ... no thank you. let alone sharks, crocodiles, jelly fish ...

bears i can deal with ...

Agree! Reptiles scare the f*ck out of me

Regards,

Chuck