New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been trying to find someone to book a combo moose/caribou or moose/black bear hunt for fall 09. Anyone have some suggestions? Accomodations can be on the sparse side if it saves over all cost. I wanna hunt, not go to bed on silk sheets beer

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caribou populations have crashed there...

Good article in Hunting Report...

Most likely will close the season on caribou...

There have been several reports on hunters not seeing any game...

Bear opportunities however are said to be verygood,one of the reasons caribou calve mortality is up.

dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hunted there for moose/bear a number of years ago with Owl nest Lodge. got both and really enjoyed it. bear in mind though that this was 8-10 years ago.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13162 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Was in NW Newfoundland last fall durng the rut. We had bad weather for two days - then hunted hard for five days. I saw only three bulls and half a dozen cows during the week.

The outfitter warned us on arrival that bulls were scarce and to take the first decent one we saw. The story was that coyotes have gotten on the island and are killing a lot of calves so the herds are shrinking very fast.

I did take an acceptable, typical bull on day six. The other four hunters took three bulls but of the four taken, only one was really nice.

The group took two moose - one really nice. I saw no bear at all and bear was the second animal I wanted.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pal of mine is leaving in a couple of weeks for Sandy Lake Lodge which is owned by a neighbour of mine.I do know that he lost all of his 32 caribou licences.I can give you a report on the moose hunting when they return.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have hunted with--snowshoe lake outfitters since 1998. call Ron Hicks--1-888-968-4868. Tell him Don Hertz gave you the info.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don!

Pity about the predator problem. Maybe some outfitters should start offering a nice combo on moose or bear with predator hunts Big Grin I'd gladly slay a bunch of yotes if given the chance

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I heard no ticks, mosquitos, or lyme disease in Newfie, is that true?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
unless you go after the first hard freeze, there are PLENTY of mosquitos.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13162 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Last week I tried to book a hunt in NF for a combo Moose + Caribou. The Outfitter, Parson's pond, can only offer (on his 6 areas) Moose.
No caribou tags available.
The compensation was a black bear. I declined.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
No one has any caribou tags available. Sad to say that the Newfies are loosing their caribou.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand there is a bounty on coyotes.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm tellin ya, they need to offer some dirt cheap predator hunts! I'm sure there are a few guys that would love to just have a nice camp to stay in while they spend a few days callin in the yotes. I think I'm gonna contact a few outfitters....

One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Moose Country Adventures on the Northern Penninsula.

Recently returned from a Moose Hunt. Saw lots of Moose and Caribou. Caribou were still available here. They also have Bear. Saw one.

The guides were a great bunch. Had a great time and will likely return with this outfitter. One of our party did shoot a coyote.

Their website:

http://www.advertisenorth.com/moosecountry/

A youtube post by one of their guides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJA-WGhAn4&feature=related

Me Moose, Bye!:

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote