New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Frank, in our free country we aren't really allowed to speak in public about the white bashing nor the prejudicial practices. Also our free media will not publish articles about it in case they get sued by one of the "true minorities".
As to the "First Nations", it should be noted that the oldest skeltons and graves ever discouvered on this continent are those of the white race. No surprise then that the Indian and Govt. sources are so quick to cover them up or "repatriate" them. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm from New Zealand where I work for the conservation department where I manage wild animal control operations. I'm a very keen hunter and am looking for some work up in Canada, I've heard so much about it and now I'm looking to get up there and have a look. I'm a search and rescue controller, have spent most of my life in the outdoors so I don't mind roughing it. Many thanks for any ideas that you can provide.

Cheers
Rod

Posts: 29 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a former employee of the B.C. Forest Service, the Alberta Forest Service and the Canadian Coast Guard, involved for much of my working life with various aspects of natural resource management.

To be honest, your chances for employment in this field here in Canada, at least in western Canada, are very slim. It is quite difficult to gain admittance to this country as a landed immigrant if you are "white" as federal government policy concerning immigration tends to strongly favour East Indians, Chinese, Filipinos and persons from the Middle East, or so our statistics indicate.

There are very few positions available, due to cut-backs in civil service staffing and the competition for any opening is intense. There are discriminatory and essentially racist hiring policies in effect which mandate the application from and hiring of "visible minorities" only for many senior positions; this further eliminates opportunities.

To have a realistic chance, you will need a post-graduate degree or two, superb references and probably some Canadian experience. I am sorry to have to tell you this, but, this is the truth; just getting accepted as an immigrant to this once-proud country is now difficult for people from the original Commonwealth. Best of luck to you, Kiwis are generally very good people, in my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rod, I had to spend several days working at the Vancouver Airport. What I observed is that most of the service jobs there are held by Russian immigrants. SO, tell them you are Russian,get a cushy job,then move on from there. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're coming to Manitoab good luck. There have been a number of people retiring from the Wildlife Branch of Conservation over the past year. They have not back-filled any of these positions. If you are wanting to work as a wildlife tech you will need a Masters degree to be competitive. The only division of Conservation that has even maintained current levels is Enforcement. But as KTMBY pointed out, Whites need not apply. (All these jobs are going to F/N)

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote