THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    >45 ACP Factory Black Bear Load

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

>45 ACP Factory Black Bear Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted
I'm heading into bear country with 12 lbs of honey this weekend and packing a 1911 Government Model .45 ACP. Now, understanding that a .45 Auto is not bear medicine, what's the best factory load (preferably +P and FMJ) to use as a deterrant against a 250+ lb black bear. I've got some +P 230gr Hornady XTP handloads on hand, but I'm not sure a hollow point bullet is the best choice.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
sounds to me like that load would be about as good as your going to get out of an autoloader.
just keep shooting till it leaves or dies. 2020Hopefully you wont need it

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 149 | Location: LONG ISALAND N.Y. @ CALABASH N.C. | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might try a Nosler load or Cor-bon's DPX load which is a Barnes all copper bullet which seems to give penetration and expansion !

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 230gr XTP will penetrate almost as far as a FMJ & give you some expansion. Itis a decent choice. DoubleTap makes a FMJ that is hot, but I don;t care much for the RN profile.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I would think your best bet would be Cor-Bon Hunting ammo. When hunting DG and I consider bear DG. You should go with a solid projectile. You want max penetration and be able to break bone. The .45 ACP would not be my choice, but that is me. Do some checking around as you are doing but Cor-bon or Pro-Load would be my choice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers

thumb

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 230 XTP will work just fine. Shoot and don't stop. I would be more concerned about extra clips.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i personally would choose fmj ammo. the best penetrating round would probably be a 200gr or 185gr truncated cone fmj at 1050-1150+ fps they break into the 500+ lbs of energy and if you can find a bullet that wont turn into mush they will penetrate further. i doubt 230's would penetrate far enough to hit a vital they barely give a through and through ona decent size human (but thats why there effective on human). black bears are still pretty though. youd have to really piss one off to get attacked. a friend of mine dropped a 400 pounder with an 8" taurus 608 and factory remington corelokt 158gr .357. just my 2 cents

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of bob m sr
posted Hide Post
good load or use the remington golden saber in 230grain its a nasty hollowpoint with good knockdown power

We can educate the ignorant but we just can't fix stupid when it comes to gun control
BOBM SR

Posts: 13 | Location: wilkes-barre,pa | Registered: 29 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
12 lbs of honey, a 45 ACP for a black bear? Save one for yourself..... stir

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote