THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    more price gouging at gander mt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

more price gouging at gander mt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
was at the range yesterday when 4 other guys pulled up. got talking about the $29.71 40 gr vmax bullets at gander mt. they said they had stopped there and looked at ammo. get this- 9mm ammo $54/box- man with that kind of gouging i wonder how many customers gander expects to see back the 2nd time

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put in an order from Natchez Shooters Supply today .It's changed quickly.Today I had to search for ammo ! Eeker I think 95 % of the listing were out of stock ! A very sad case indeed ! thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
They just keep saying it is the demand outstripping the supply! I find that hard to believe. Hell at the hieght of the Iraqi and Afgan war, there was plenty of ammo and components at low prices. Now the fighting has pretty much ended,metal prices have gone down, and all affiliates with manufactures are saying the military had nothing to do with it. So what gives???? Is some outside wealthy source manipulating the supply???? It is rediculous. I was at a gun show in Billings two weeks ago, it is one of the biggest around here, there wasn't a pickup load of ammo and components combined! bewildered

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the gas crisis/shortage ring a bell? Ain't no shortages...just lots of gouging....price it according to what the market will bear...and right now it bearing alot.......alot of profits! Just like the barrel of oil prices have gone from $200/barrel to $50/barrel but gasoline only came down half that difference.........so goes the metals markets. Just like I asked the manager at one of the Advanced Auto parts store why the gallon jugs of oil have not come down even a small amount....I asked the same thing on bullet prices relative to the metals commodity market at Cabelas........and all you get is a shoulder shrug and an "I dunno know". Its about profits and gouged customers! Hell, Hornady just recently doubled the size of their manufacturing facility.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PBens
posted Hide Post
The BassPro Shop in Atlanta has not had any centerfire pistol ammo since February. My local gun shop is in the same situation. If the war in Iraq is slowing down you would think some of the ammo manufacturers would be sending stock to retailers.

Posts: 57 | Location: McCormick, SC, USA | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to turn this into a political thread at all but....

A big reason for the shortage of ammo is people panic buying and hoarding ammunition due to the current administration's history of anti-gun sentiment.

People are buying AR platform rifles and handguns because they're worried they'll be banned in the future. Heck, I know one guy that doesn't hunt or shoot, yet he bought a .223 Bushmaster and a 9mm Glock, because he feels the administration is going to ban the sales of these firearms.

People are worried that ammunition will be taxed to the point where it won't be affordable, so they're buying it now, "before the tax comes." They're worried about the possibility of requiring ammunition to be serial numbered. So they're buying in quantity so they'll have "theirs." A guy I know who does a fair amount of shooting normally has 1,000 - 1,500 rounds of .223. He now has between 9,000 and 10,000 rounds stacked in his basement!

Then there are the guys that are speculating on ammo, buying it in large quantities and reselling it at an even higher price.

A friend of mine has a small gunshop. He has been trying to get primers, 9mm, .45 pistol bullets, .223, .30 cal bullets and cases. He deals with four distributors and can't get the stuff! When he does get a small order in, it's bought up immediately.

The shortage of ammo and components has nothing to do with the war, nothing to do with metal prices and nothing to do with some outside wealthy source manipulating the supply. It is due primarily to panic buying and greed.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
380 ammo is in short supply too. I just scored a bunch from my local dealer and was offered 50 bucks for a 20 round box of xtps. I couldnt bring myself to rip someone off and to sell it at what its worth it isnt worth shipping. Ill just hold on to it. Ive got 3 cdps to feed.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gander Mountain in the North side of Houston was getting $49.99 for a box of 38 special. It is getting out of hand. Just for grins the other day I thought I'd attempt a trade of some 45 ACP ammo I had been sitting on for some .375H&H 300 FMJ, well it turned out we were both very happy because I traded five boxes of fifty 45acp ammo for two boxes of .375 H&H, who got the better deal? I gave $9.- box for the acp. Guess those days are gone. Gander Mountain is greatly taking advantage of the times.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Companies have also scaled back production, they are taking a wait and see attitude. Not that I blame them, can you imagine manufacturing equipment for millions of dollars and then finding out you can sell it? that spells bankruptcy.

quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
I don't want to turn this into a political thread at all but....

A big reason for the shortage of ammo is people panic buying and hoarding ammunition due to the current administration's history of anti-gun sentiment.

People are buying AR platform rifles and handguns because they're worried they'll be banned in the future. Heck, I know one guy that doesn't hunt or shoot, yet he bought a .223 Bushmaster and a 9mm Glock, because he feels the administration is going to ban the sales of these firearms.

People are worried that ammunition will be taxed to the point where it won't be affordable, so they're buying it now, "before the tax comes." They're worried about the possibility of requiring ammunition to be serial numbered. So they're buying in quantity so they'll have "theirs." A guy I know who does a fair amount of shooting normally has 1,000 - 1,500 rounds of .223. He now has between 9,000 and 10,000 rounds stacked in his basement!

Then there are the guys that are speculating on ammo, buying it in large quantities and reselling it at an even higher price.

A friend of mine has a small gunshop. He has been trying to get primers, 9mm, .45 pistol bullets, .223, .30 cal bullets and cases. He deals with four distributors and can't get the stuff! When he does get a small order in, it's bought up immediately.

The shortage of ammo and components has nothing to do with the war, nothing to do with metal prices and nothing to do with some outside wealthy source manipulating the supply. It is due primarily to panic buying and greed.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents....my Gander in this area experiences short supply as does everyone else (where the hell is the 380 stuff???), but their prices when they have it isn't bad....certainly no worst than other gun shops around. Fed American Eagle is $24.00 a box for hardball, Fiocchi is $22.00 for the same....50 rounds. 9mm is hard to come by, but you can have all the 40 caliber and 45 GAP stuff you want...at reasonable prices. Might be a locale situation.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
It's certainly a case of people hoarding ammunition. I used to go in and get primers in small packs of 100 now you have to buy $40 worth of primers because of the "demand."

All this ban hysteria is ridiculous. It's like the Y2k survival packs those jackasses used to sell in shotgun news and the morons who bought them.

Well, I gotta go. I need to go buy an AR-15 that I neither want nor need but because Obama's gonna take it away I have to have it.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote