New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Rem Magnum versus 45 Colt
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All

I have a question. Why is the 44 magnum considered more powerful than the 45 Colt. I measured the depth and dia. of each and the 45 Colt has a larger internal volume. Not much difference but the Colt is slighter deeper and slightly larger hence can be loaded with more powder. The wall thickness is identical at 0.013 "but I couldn't measure to the web. All measurements by Mitutoyo Caliper.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I was able to measure partially to the web and the 44 Mag was slightly thicker at the web and this is born out by the difference in weight by about 6 grains. They were almost precisely the same height. I presume that a similar weight bullet could be found for both calibers. So I would conclude that the reputation of the 44 mag is more legend than fact.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason the 44M is considered more powerful than the 45LC is because most ammo makers make ammo that won't blow up the older and more fragile six guns. I handload for 45LC and some of the loads of my own creation are beyond the capability of the 44M. Buffalo Bore makes a factory load that comes close to my "bear killer" load and should only be shot in the stronger wheel guns or single shots. I shoot a custom Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC and though I have shot some 44M I have never owned one and don't see the need since I have the 45.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Luckyducker - Many thanx. That makes sense.

Jim

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It also helps to put the Colt in historical perspective. Apples to apples in other words. Research the ballistics and see how the "original" 45 Long Colt stacked up against its closest competitors, the 44 S&W Special and 44-40 WCF.

It's important to understand they came out of the same late 1800s era, but the 44 as a caliber was developed further into the magnum that it became. The one the 44 magnum's based on was a different gun, principally the S&W large (N frame) guns growing out of the WWI revolver, the Model 1917. That led to the Model 29, the Dirty Harry 44 Magnum.

By WWI the army had quit using the 45 Colt single action. However, the Colt SAA is still around, still built and still chambered for 45 LC, 44 Special, 44-40 and others. But they just haven't built the 44 Special version up into something that will shoot 44 Mag or built up the 45 to shoot high intensity 45 LC.

It's a story how one developed and the other didn't. Excepting for what in more recent decades was done with the single action by Ruger.

If you want similar magnum action between 45 Colt and 44 Rem Mag, you have it in Ruger and others. With Ruger you can take the single action beyond 45 LC up to 475 Linebaugh and above.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to my understanding of the original question.

Jim

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to learn more about the 45 Colt you should read John Linebaugh's fine article "The 45 Colt, Dissolving the Myth Discovering the Potential".

If you read this article it will answer some of your questions.

In the late 1970s Bob Hagel worked up an article in Handloader Magazine using both 44 mag and 45 Colt barrels in a Contender. It was a very informative article and if I remember correctly they were both about the same in his barrels.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Gomjabber, I have been a long term fan of the .45 Colt cartridge!
When standard factory loads (or equivalent) are used, we are selling this great cartridge short of what can be safely achieved, in modern factory firearms!!!
Whilst I don't use the following loads in my Ruger Blackhawk, I handload and shoot 300Grn Frontier Bullets (made in Sth Africa), at over 1600 fps out of my new Winchester 1892 (Miroku-Japan), 20" barreled lever action!
Now this is Way Over the recommended "Maximum Safe Working Load" for the .45 Colt, but it is safe in this very strong little rifle!!!

Yes I do know when I cut one off, as there is a substantial amount of recoil but I usually only require one shot on each animal!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 44 Magnum was designed and intended from the start to be a high pressure load. The 45 Colt achieves this only via loading it way beyond it's original purpose. These kamikaze loads can only be used in a select number of guns (and I do not include the M25-5 among them).

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys - I want to thank everyone for their contribution to this question.

Jim