New
Find
Notify
Tools

Para Ordnance 1911?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Para Ordnance has recently introduced a "basic" 1911 called the GI Expert. It is obviously intended to compete with the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec (which is hard to find right now), and the Auto Ordnance GI 1911.
It is also priced well, with one shop around here selling them for $489.

So far, the reviews have been good, which is a lot more than I can say for the Auto Ordnance.

Any reason I should not buy one as a commissioning present (Army) for my son?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
none that i know of. para makes good stuff. and a big congrats for you son thumb

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch,

He graduates from Auburn University May 9th, after attending four years on an ROTC scholarship. He completed his Airborne training last summer at Fort Benning, and has already requested Ranger school. Yes, I am a proud papa!

My one regret is they won't let him take his 1911 overseas if/when he gets deployed. Instead, he'll carry that POS 9mm that passes as a sidearm in the Army these days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No experience with the GI Expert, but I've owned a P-12 and two P-14s, and have been very satisfied with them. One of these days I'm going to get a LDA, if I stop spending all my money on cars.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got him the Para, GI Expert. I would have preferred the Springfield Mil Spec, because it is the truest copy of a WW II, 1911, put couldn't find one locally, and buying one off the internet is a pain.

The Para is nice, but it is a little jazzed up, with Commander-style hammer and upgraded sights.

I'll be giving it to him on Saturday, May 9th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish i could be there to see the smile on his face. wonderful day saturday leon

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He took it to the range yesterday. Put 50 shots into the head and heart of the sillouette target ,offhand, at 10 meters. Sights appear to be spot on, and there were no malfunctions.

I'd say Para makes a pretty good product.