New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 yard autoloader?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there an autoloader that's good for shooting at 100 yds?

I've had decent performance with a 1911 in .45, but it's not as good as my .454 or .357 revolvers. I think it's the shorter sight plane.

Anyway, anybody do this? SIG's are supposed to be accurate, but they mostly have fixed sights and short sighting planes.

Any ideas? Long slide 1911 in .38 super?

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that your long slide 38super will be any better than a long slide 45acp, assuming that they are both put together well! Did you have optics on your revolvers? I suspect that your search is in vain, but keep looking. I have an AMT in 30carbine, which has 6' barrel I believe. Just not very accurate! perhaps a match barrel would help, if I could find one. Optics, of course, remove the disadvantage of the sight radius. Why not put optics on your 1911? several options available and even a Red Dot would help at 100 yards.
Sorry I couldn't help!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&W 1006 10mm, grizzly 45 win mag, amt 30 carbine

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've had this same thought myself.
Your probably not going to find anything to beat your revolvers for accuracy but there may be some exceptions.
S&W had a 9mm out of there custom shop a few years ago that would shoot under 4" @100 yards or so I was told. I dodn't remember the model # but a freind had one and he was a reliable source.
You didn't specify caliber range. There are several .22's out there that will shoot very well. I have a Ruger MK 2 target that will shoot under 4" all day long(or at least untill I get a few hundred rounds through it). Of course this is only possible when I have the scope on it.
I carry a Beretta 92 most of the time. when I go up to my cabin in the winter there is always the possibilety for a chance at a variety of furbearers. I have taken a coyote with my Beretta @ about 35 yards but I have pritty much resinged myself to carrying one of my .357's when I'm in the woods.
One thing you might try. If you have access to a glock 19 give it a try. Set some bowling pins or clay birds up on the 100 yd backstop and just try it off the bench with your wrist supported on a sand bag.
There is no scientific reason for it that I know of but everyone I know who has done it(myself included)will keep the pins dancing.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are just wanting a plinker, any semiauto that is accurate @ 25yds can be great fun out to 100yds. For hunting, most rounds don't carry enough punch or the pistols don't have the accuracy for 100yd hutning. The Desert Eagle in 44mag or 50AE would be a goood choice.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 10mm in a Glock 20 with an aftermarket supported chamber barrel with a shoulder stock for when I want a bit more fun...

I also have a Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kit for mine...

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Any high grade auto is capable of this, as in all things in life you get what you pay.

By high grade i mean Pardini GT9 and GT 45. Wilson's guns, STI's, SVI's, Peters Stahl and a lot of other high grade guns.

Then you develop a load that fits your gun(preferebly with the help of a ransom rest).

Problem is, very few people can shoot a pistol accurately enough.

So many guns in the world, but not enough in my safe

Posts: 13 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Well, there's several handguns in 10mm, the LAR Grizzley, the Desert Eagle (mine's .41Magnum of course), the Wildey, and a good used Auto Mag.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is one thing to be able to hit where you aim at 100 yards with a semi-auto, it is another to have the power you need when the bullet gets there.

With an accurized 45 ACP, Match 230 Ball shoots pretty good at 100 yards... but for some punch a 185 jacketed or a 200gr cast over a stiff charge of Unique has a bit more thump.
I have also used 4756 in copious amounts, I was using 24 lb recoil springs, and recoil shock buffers. These loads were hard on the gun , but they were accurate and did have some thump at extended ranges.

The LAR, AMT and the Grizzly were not around when I was doing this.

A better solution is a 4" 44 Mag.

Howewver the ultimate just might be an accurized LW Commander, with a 6": bbl 24 to 26 lb recoil spring, shock buff in 45 Super, loaded HOT... and shot very little, ie only when necessary.

Still a 44 Mag 4" S&W Mountain Revolver is an easy out of the box solution.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks, but why the 4" barrel in the 44 Mag? I've always thought that the longer sight plane really made a difference for me at 50 yards and further.

I am tempted to pick up a blued Model 29 or an 8 shot blued .357 on an N frame, though.

On the autoloader, I ended up buying a Caspian slide and Kart EZ fit barrel for the Springfield 1911 I have. It's fitting pretty tight. I hope to have a firing pin for it in a couple of days and have it out shooting.

Thanks, Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1

I assumed, maybe incorectly, that the original poster was concerned about concealibility/easy to pack handgun.

You are correct that usually a longer sight radius and bbl is better for long range.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Desert Eagle offers a long barrel version. I think it'a about 10" all told. 44 mag would have the trajectory for 100 yd.

Other handgun bullets generally aren't very practical out to 100 yds. It's about trajectory and loss of velocity.

44 mag. in revolver gets used in silhouette shooting because it has the ballistics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
like my AMT automag 30 carbine . Its pretty flat shooting and does a pretty good job at 100yds. It also has a big muzzel blast which i like AMt went out of business a few years ago and I hear the Automag 30s are hard to find however.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best I've done is a Don Fraley built Para with 40 S&W (loaded to almost 10mm length) and 45 ACP topends build with Nowlin ramped barrels, Briley spherical bushings, and Baer slides. With a Ransom rest they hold 3" or less at 100 yards.

I can't see iron sights that well, so my longer range gun is a single stack 40 S&W (built to use ammo that is essentially 10mm on a 40 case). Long cartridge allows high velocities with short case for easy extraction and ejection. It is fitted with an EoTech optical sight with a 1 minute dot. Used a Nowlin ramped barrel with a Colt Delta Elite slide on this one. It is comp'ed. Have taken deer to 65 yards with it.

My longest shot on deer with a pistol is 124 yards with a 6" M57 S&W in 41 Mag using a 2x scope. DRT

So ... yes, one can build a 1911-based hand rifle that is accurate enough if you can provide a sighting mechanism that you can use effectively at the required range.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Philbilly I have an AMT in 30 cal carbine as well. I love the gun but would not call it the accuracy king. I have not shot it at 100 yards.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Ive had to mess around with my 30 for ten years but I think ive found out what it likes. Believe it or not it likes 130 grain cast bullets which I cast myself. With no gas check , minimal leading it shoots great. It also cycles the action perfectly and has quite a whollop. If you or anyone else wants to talk about your automag 30 email me at lonewolf899@msn. com I will also share my favorite loads. Yall have a good one .

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM. I switched to jacketed and get around 1500 fps with 130 FMJ's. Nice load. Fairly accurate but nothing to write home about.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My best long range shooter in an autopistol is a Paraordinance P 14-45 that has about $600 in aftermarket parts in it. It started out as a stock P 14-45 and ended up a beauty. I've shot plastic oil cans at 80 yards with it hitting about 6 out of 10 with it. The load that is so accruate in it is a HG cast 200g at about 800 fps. At 100 yards I don't know how lethal it would be and never have shot or hit anyting that far out.

The most accruate revolver I have is a Ruger 5.5 inch Vaquero in 44 mag shooting full house loads. I would not hesitate to shoot at 100-125 yards with it at smaller deer.

I think it's great practice to shoot at these longer distances when you go out to shoot around. Any lack of trigger control or flinch really shows up at 150 yards with a pistol and can be very embarassing.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Rabbit Creek
posted Hide Post
If you can locate one, a longslide LAR Grizzly, you pick the caliber.

A Wildey has many idiosyncrasies but accuracy is comparable to the T/C single shots

Posts: 29 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildley 8 inch 45 Win Mag.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received a 460 rowland conversion kit for my 1911. These are built by clark custom guns and are a drop in kit with a match grade barrel for about 300.00 so you can switch back to 45 acp whenever you like utilizing the same magazines. New brass and factory ammo are available through clark custom guns.

The ballistics may be exactly what your looking for.
185 grain @ 1550
200 grain @ 1450
230 grain @ 1350

The best 230 + P load in 45 acp I've cronographed is the 230 grain federal HST @ 960 FPS.
The 460 rowland on the other hand retains that velocity with a 230 grain bullet out to 180-200 yards depending on the specific bullet.
Just some food for thought.

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For an autoloader at 100+, my PLR-16 with a 4X on top is as accurate as some of my Contenders. Somewhere around a MOA+ a bit in my hands with the right loadings.

It's not any more awkward than a Contender but it isn't a 1911 in sizing. Reckon it depends on what kind of pistol you are looking for.

Using standard pistol caliber rounds in standard sized/barrel length pistols past 50 yards for defense or hunting purposes is basically silly in my book but, as TEANCUM points out, there are exceptions to that rule. Past 15-25 for many of them. Deceased friend of mine regularly nailed deer at 100-125 with his .44Mag Super Blackhawk.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Anyway, anybody do this? SIG's are supposed to be accurate, but they mostly have fixed sights and short sighting planes.

SIG P210s are extremely accurate. The accuracy standard required by the Swiss military was approx. 2" at 55 yards. Most shoot better than that.

Of course you won't find a good one for less than $5K. I have seen some offered for about $2K, but they must be in rough shape. Might be a bargain though if you want someone to customize it for you. Here's a couple from Novak custom. I have no idea what this would cost over the price of admission to the SIG P210 club. They have fixed sights, but I'm sure for the kind of money you'd have to spend you could get any sights you wanted.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sig 210's are the gold standard of 9mmms. However, the S&W 952 is extremely accurate as well, for a lot less money.
Peter.