THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Browning Hi-Power serial numbers ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Hi-Power serial numbers ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I'm looking at buying a hi-power but I'm confused by the serial number as to date of manufacture.
The serial number starts ....77C49xxx...which according to web info should be a 1977 ( 77 ) hi-power (C) then the production number ( 49xxx ) but the web also says that Browning changed the numbering system after 1975.
Any Browning Hi-Power guru's out there that can sort this for me ???

Another thing I've noticed is that the slide has two holes ( I assume one is for the sear pin ) where all others I've seen only have one ???

Roger

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all ordinal for sure

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
?

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After market rear sight, after market safety.

Looks like the magazine disconnect was removed.

Extra hole in the slide. Some one tried to convert to full auto??? Could have be used to enable sear lever???

The hole below the extractor is for the sear lever pin.

The sear is frame mounted.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Think I might pass on this one...

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
How much does a Hi-power go for there

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
This was a deceased estate for 800 AU, generally from 1k to 1800 second hand.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be a decent shooter.

But we can buy cash and carry here. No paper work on private sales.

what kind of hoops does on have to jump through there.

But is not a collector piece.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Basically, as Australia was originally just one big prison farm, the gumby-ment still treats us as convicts. There is really no private ownership of handguns except for shooting club members, ( no handgun hunting except some registered guides ) and security companies, stringent background checks, limits on calibres, safe storage requirements, etc. Club members must shoot a set amount of times a year to be able to keep a pistol license. Regular police checks on safe storage.

I'm just getting back into pistol shooting now that I've retired, so I'm looking at a Hi-Power ( I owned one previously ) or a HK USP 40 S&W.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately some in our government would like to follow yours.

A few states have enacted similar laws.

But for the most part the majority of the country. We can freely buy, sell and trade firearms. On the 2nd hand market cash and carry.

The free market is the safety valve against confiscation.

Once it has been sold a couple of time it is very hard to trace.

Even more so if the original buyer has passed along.