New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Taffin stated the gun shot and handled very well. He liked it and that says enough for me.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely leaked on purpose.

I am sure it well be a very good 1911 and well go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Well need some trigger work other then that should be just fine. Ruger knows how to build hand guns.

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Its officially released as of yesterday, so no leaking involved. I am told the manual is already posted on rugers site, and they have been making them since January and will start shipping in May.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I just don't understand it's claim to fame. Is it better looking, more accurate, less expensive, more reliable, higher capacity etc. etc.? If none of the above, why should I buy one? Understand, I would LOVE to have a reason to buy one, but I just don't need or want another 45 ACP unless it is one of the above!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm old fashioned. If you can't shoot it as a service pistol why bother? It's also overpriced and has a manual written by a lawyer.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
They are already shipping. Nice guns. No FPS, and built with the last 25 or so years of knowledge casting Caspian frames.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one. Looks to be better than the new R1.

cw

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OMG WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GUN.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'll give ruger this .. NO ONE does casting better ..
it looks like a great, improved, perhaps perfected, caspian -- but better ...

wish it was in 10mm! designed from the ground up that way

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38526 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happens to be that I am a Ruger fan and went last evening and bought the Ruger 1911 pistol.
City purchased in has 3 day waiting period and will pick it up early next week. Have had Colts, ParaOrd., Kimbers, etc. and all seemed to be fine, but alway wondered why Ruger did not do the 1911 version of a pistol and now I don't have to wonder anymore. Have one more week of "work" left and done for the rest of the year and plan on putting a lot of rounds through the Ruger.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MFD, let us know how it shoots, and I don't mean a report like I posted above!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I guess I just don't understand it's claim to fame. Is it better looking, more accurate, less expensive, more reliable, higher capacity etc. etc.? If none of the above, why should I buy one? Understand, I would LOVE to have a reason to buy one, but I just don't need or want another 45 ACP unless it is one of the above!
Peter.

The "why" is simple. Need to be sure to be in the 1911 club. Ruger would be far better off with less models and less lawyers. I do not care for any of Ruger's semi's, rifles and handguns. That said I am a Ruger fan when it comes to single action revolvers.

The hammer is ugly and I guess the need to put those ugly serrations on the beavertail bump is to keep one's hand from sliding off if you shoot it with a good dab of vaseline on your palm.

There are so many 1911 variations already out there I do not see the "need" for yet another
unless, as Peter says, it is better looking, more accurate, has a better trigger, more reliable, and less expensive. None of which apply. stir

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
The three day period should be over by tomorrow and plan on checking and if it is over, will pick up tomorrow. Most likely will get to shoot this weekend. I am a poor one to test the pistol for accuracy as in formal target shooting, but friend has Ransom Rest and is a winner of several matches over the years and will let him evaluate the Ruger for me and will report how he does with it. Personally I like revolvers, but it is UnAmerican to not have a 1911 of some mfg. I am kind of a nut on reliability and my Ruger BlackHawk Convertible in 45acp/45LC works every time. We'll see how the Ruger 1911 does in that department.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I guess I'm old fashioned. If you can't shoot it as a service pistol why bother? It's also overpriced and has a manual written by a lawyer.

Owns a lot of handguns which aren't "service pistols." Two based on the 1911 config.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Peter,
The three day period should be over by tomorrow and plan on checking and if it is over, will pick up tomorrow. Most likely will get to shoot this weekend. I am a poor one to test the pistol for accuracy as in formal target shooting, but friend has Ransom Rest and is a winner of several matches over the years and will let him evaluate the Ruger for me and will report how he does with it. Personally I like revolvers, but it is UnAmerican to not have a 1911 of some mfg. I am kind of a nut on reliability and my Ruger BlackHawk Convertible in 45acp/45LC works every time. We'll see how the Ruger 1911 does in that department.

I would be interested in hearing the results of your shoot. Trigger, accuracy, overall function.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did pick up Ruger 1911 Sunday afternoon, but not able to shoot it yet. First impression is good in that fit and finish is fine. Trigger pull/break seems a bit on the heavy side in what little dry firing did with it. Slide to frame fit is tightest I have seen on 1911 pistol other than match prepped ones, so it may work well in the accuracy department?? Couple hundred rounds may well change my overall opinion, but have one more week of that stuff called work and then done for the rest of the year and will have time to ring it out.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Did pick up Ruger 1911 Sunday afternoon, but not able to shoot it yet. First impression is good in that fit and finish is fine. Trigger pull/break seems a bit on the heavy side in what little dry firing did with it. Slide to frame fit is tightest I have seen on 1911 pistol other than match prepped ones, so it may work well in the accuracy department?? Couple hundred rounds may well change my overall opinion, but have one more week of that stuff called work and then done for the rest of the year and will have time to ring it out.

Interested to hear about the gun once you shoot it, but more interested in how you can work one more week this year and then be off for the next 7 months..... wow.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it MFD. Slide/frame fit is only one piece of the puzzle with the 1911. The other is the barrel/slide fit at lock up. Still, the proof of the pudding.....
Let us know, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question about "proof is in the pudding" and Ruger's ads make mention as to how they have improved the lock up. I would probably say that as well if I were producing 1911 pistols.
They also speak of "match" grade barrel, same machine that produces the barrel and bushing also produce the bushing from same steel stock.
Have no clue about what that does. Sounds impressive though.

How do I have the rest of the year off?? Well, for me it required working some 40 plus years and retiring somewhat early and to support my expensive habits of firearms and Harley Davidsons, teach part time during the year. Started class in April and last one is May. I must say I do enjoy taking a nap whenever I want, working on guns for a while, take a ride on the Harley whenever, weather permitting, visiting the local gun store and BS for a half hour or so, eat lunch at local eatery, and so on. I highly suggest retirement for it has many benefits.

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The barrel/bushing from the same piece of barstock is pointless really. As long as the fit is right, it won't matter.The havn't changed anything on the lockup, its just done well.
I did get to handle one over the weekend and I am impressed. At their price point, I have yet to see a better quality gun. I have an R1 that was gotten as a spec gun and, while a decent gun, it is cosmeticly challenged. Function is good, but it won't compare to the Ruger.
I look forward to building one of the Rugers

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote