Find
Notify
Tools

Les baer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I am looking for comments on Les Baer's guns. Specifically the Premier 2. I am considering buying one.
Thanks
John

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a Les Baer but, I have had the opportunity to shoot a few that belonged to friends. All of them were top tier guns that had fantastic triggers and top of the line accuracy right out of the box. The prices are also top tier. You can probably get a 1911 tricked out by a good gunsmith to the same level for less money. However, there is a lot to be said for just buying all the improvements and quality on day one from Baer.

There is no question in my mind that the quality is top notch.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have a PII Super Tac w/ a few additional options and a non-catalogued pistol similar to a Concept VI with a mag-chute. I've had zero problems with either pistol and have found them very accurate and reliable.

I've been sitting on a Series 70 Colt, pondering having it built into a full-house custom pistol. Pricing several of the top gunsmiths, it looks like it would cost about $2500 (plus my pistol) to get close to what I can get off the shelf in the PII Super Tac (for about $1850).

Having said all this, I also have a Kimber Eclipse that I bought used for a very nice price. I thought it would make a good carry piece or a truck gun. I was surprised to find that the Kimber is 80% of the Baer for less than 1/2 the price. Change out a few parts and it would be 90% of the Baer for 60% of the price. Like all custom guns, that last 5 or 10% gets VERY expensive.

I bought my Baers through K5 Arms Exchange in CT. It might be worth you taking a Saturday drive up to his shop and take a look. Frank has all kinds of high-end pistols.

For a stock PII, Champion's Choice has prices and delivery that can't be beat.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of Les' completed guns, but I do use his slides on guns I have built. They are terrific pieces that hold up extremely well in heavily used firearms.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think youd play hell getting a 1911 done up as nice as an out of the box premier for the same money if you included the price of a gun to work on.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will be ordering this week.
Thanks
John

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Premier II a lot.

Two things about the trigger.

Dry fire it 200 or 400 times before you worry about any grittiness in the trigger. It does break in nicely. A friend who shoots 1911's more than I do says it's unbelievably good.

Wear shooting glasses when you first start dry firing it. Les Baer ships his pistols liberally protected by a thin oil-type rust preventer. The first few times the hammer falls, you'll splash some of that oil your eyes.

You also might need to de-horn the rear sight blade, as it can reach up out of the holster and scratch your strong side forearm if you're wearing a short sleeve shirt.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was the proud owner of a Premier II until I sold that old technology gun and bought a STI 2011. Now I have 3 2011s and am not looking back. My guns are every bit as accurate, have just as fine a trigger and do not have bushings. Also the chamber fully supports the brass in 2011s so is safer for the operator, me!To of my 2011s are in 10mm and one is 45acp. I really value the full supported chamber on the high intensity 10s. But, if you are stuck on the old technology, Les Baer makes em as good as they can be.

Posts: 6 | Location: wenatchee | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote