THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Supported and Un-supported barrels?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supported and Un-supported barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
Is the barrel in my Springfield XD-40 sub-compact "supported" or not.

Quote---
Most handguns, such as STI and SVI, have supported chambers allowing the cartridge to make the 165 power factor. However, factory Glock barrels have a non-supported barrel causing the brass to bulge excessively when loaded to a top load. Therefore, care should be used when loading for the non-supported barrels.

I took this from my Sierra manual. I've seen the buldges on brass before, not mine.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The case in my XD 45 is fully supported, check the Springfield website, I suspect it is. Fieldstrip your pistol, remove the barrel, and drop a cartridge in it. Now check and see if the case is fully enclosed by the chamber (the extractor groove will be out in the open). On unsupported guns, like some Colts, there is s gap at the bottom near the feed ramp that will allow the case to expand under higher than normal pressure. I'm not familiar with Glocks so can't comment on them.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The proper term is NOT "unsupported" but "less than full support".The variables are how much chamber support, how high are the pressures ,how hard is the brass.In addition bullet setback can dangerously raise pressure! In a 40S&W if the bullet is set back .10" you will DOUBLE the pressure.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I posted this same question on another forum and was directed to a third forum that really has a hot discussion going on this question.

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=27416

They get hot under the colar and the AR15 forum, at least regarding this question. Take a look.

Mike

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AI 22-250. I believe that your XD40 does have a supported chamber. I got one for my son and as I recollect, it had one. Check by locking back the slide. Is the feed ramp part of the frame or is it part of the barrel. If it part of the barrel, then this ramp supports the chamber. I would not call it "fully supported", but it is nice to have a supported chamber on a 40 or a 38Super with max IPSC loads.The 40 is a high pressure round.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
They get hot under the colar and the AR15 forum, at least regarding this question. Take a look

That's mild compared to a few of the Glock kb discussions I've read (and maybe even participated in Wink ).

I'm a pretty cautious guy and I run reloads (mine only though!) through my Glock without fear. Don't sweat the unsupported issue unless you are a hot-rodder with your relaods or a cheap SOB who shoots brass till it fails!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote