New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W or Glock or ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the market for a new CCW handgun. I have looked at the S&W M&P's and the various Glocks. I will state that I have never really been a Glock lover. But they are starting to look better. I usually carry my Colt Officer's model but it is on the heavy side and a little bulky for carry in the summer. So I am looking for something fairly small (G19-G26 size), 9mm or larger, actually perfer 40sw (G23-G27)or .45acp(G30-G36). In the S&W, I am looking at the Sigma series, M&P Compacts, and the S&W 990 types.

I am willing to look at some of the 9's because I believe bullet technology has gotten better. But my prefernce is definetly on the 40S&W and the .45ACP. I was on the Aif Force SP Marksmanship team when they were testing the 9mm for the military and even the guys doing the testing had very little good to say about any of the 9mm's. Only good side of the 9 is that ammo can be bought relatively cheap for plinking. But I do reload so it isn't that much of a factor.

I may even be interested in the .357sig caliber since its ballistics look very good.

Thanks for any info.
WW

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the beast CCW gun in the S&W line up is the Performance Center Shorty Forty. It is small and accurate but more expensive than the others you mention.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on $$ and what fits. the springfield xp's are gaining quite a bit of favor, but they are on the bulky side like glocks. the kahr is a nice piece, but for me the grip angle is all wrong. one favorite is the old PPK, 380 might not be that much, but with the right loading i'd hate to get shot with one. for carry i think i must use half a dozen different guns, just depends on what i'm wearing and where i'm going

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the S&W M&P 9mm with about 3000 rounds thru it. Best auto pistol I have ever owned. 17 round mags, relative light weight, accurate. I am looking to get an M&P 45 when the cash gets right.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
I'd recommend whichever pistol you shoot best.

If you are quite good with both, (SA and DA/safe action) then I advise you try a few models that others habve-select the one you like best and has the main features you desire.

I chose a G27 about a decade ago, carry it everyday, shoot it twice per week (and occassionally in IDPA matches) and it works.

Concealable, bigger than 9, but more capacity and enegery than most sub-compact 45s. deadly relaibe with anything I stuff into it, but I prefer 135 Corbon+Ps (velocity is about 12755f/s from this pocket rocket) with a back-up magazine of 150 Corbons....

Used to carry a SW 4006, yeah, the fullsized stainless slide and frame-too big really at 39 oz empty, but again, worked every time-it is now a training gun, over 75000 rounds through it an only a new spring every 5k and one ejector since 1989... Still will hold 2" or so at 25 yards.
On Sundays, I pocket a neat little FN 1906 with 35 grn Hornady XTPs. Who knows, churches are no different than anyplace else these days!

Had to tote a M9 in indian country a few times-with ball ammo they do not stop much more than a dog, shot in the head. I picked up the next available M4 or M590 12 ga soonest. Much more effective, on dogs too.

God Bless

God Bless

One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want a plastic pistol then I’d recommend one of the older third generation Smiths. There are a lot of quality used ones out there. I CCW and carry one of several pistols. My favorite is an S&W Shorty 40 MK3 with a Melonite finish. They don’t make them any more but can be found. They may be a bit pricey. Most that I’ve seen lately run around $800. My second choice is an S&W 4013. A 3913 if you want it in a 9mm. These can be found around $350 or so. They are single stack and compact. I used to carry a 9mm. I still have it plus a couple other 9mm’s. The one I carried was a S&W 39-2. Talk about a sweet pistol. It’s still one of my favorites and somewhat of a collector’s item these days. I dropped it for a little more power in the .40.
One good source for used or new pistols is Gunbroker but I find that their prices are a bit high most of the time. One source that I've used a few times is CDNN They stopped showing pistols in their online catalog a while back so you would have to call them.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
Used to carry a SW 4006,

I have a 4006 too. yes they are heavy and I wouldn't reccomend CCW with it because of it's size and weight. they are built like an army tank and will last forever.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the P 99 Compact a try
Wink

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WWhunter:
I'm in the market for a new CCW handgun. I have looked at the S&W M&P's and the various Glocks.

Thanks for any info.
WW

I steered the kids into Glock 23s.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b...ock_23_(nukeit1).jpg

I had them get Glock 22 mags [15 round] for reloads.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, here is the world's most underated pistol: The CZ75 Compact in .40 S&W

If you know a gunsmith who knows how to work on them (probably CZ-USA can steer you in the right direction. I have my source in France.) you can come up with a very nice trigger pull.

All steel, M3 rails for a flashlight, DA first round or SA cocked and locked, 10 round magazine, stick some XS 24/7 Big Dot sights on this and I think even I could get off a quick and accurate shot. I forgot to mention it, but I think the .22lr slide and magazines also fit this frame. So, for the price of a second slide you've can also practice with cheap .22lr and let your kids practice with a semi-auto. Here's a link to the CZ-USA site:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=63

If you want a really small and light pistol (I haven't seen this one personally) then here is another option.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on how many rounds you want to carry, but I have been recently shooting a P239 in 357sig & it's likely to replace my Colt OM for CCW. It's about 6oz lighter & almost the same size. The trigger is very good in SA & tolerable in DA. COmes in 357sig or 40s&w as well as 9mm.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I have been recently shooting a P239 in 357sig

Also an excellent choice, and selected by some of Secret Service staff as well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Glocks, 1911's, Beretta, and Browning HP, I finally started carrying a S&W Airweight Centennial. This pistol will handle +P loads for defense and limited practice, is light and easy to conceal particularly in the summer. It is also available in 357Mag, but I like the controllability of the lighter +P loads.

My lighter, smaller companion is a Beretta .32 auto which is really small. You are in the 60% first round stop zone with the .32 auto, but with two shots you're at 120%; right? Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock; hands down. S&W attempted to copy the Glock with the Sigma which was both a nice try and a total dud. As they say (in their law enforcement poster) 'First they fired us, then they hired us'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend just got a S&W M&P 9mm. It seems like it will be a great pistol. After much research I chose the Kahr PM40. This little gun is easily concealable and just keeps on shooting. So far it has been completely reliable. I wanted small, reliable, and powerful, and that is what I got.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That CZ is a good looking firearm, I wish it came in .45 ACP. As near as I can tell from looking at the web-site, they don't make a .45, do they?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Tilly.30-06
posted Hide Post
I just purchased the S&W MP9mm. I shot 300 rounds through it friday night and it shot great. The trigger pull has a great feel and the three sets of grips makes it easy to fit any ones hands.
Smith is giving back $50.00 and 2 magazines if you purchase a M&P or a sigma by Jan 31, 2008.

Posts: 7 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
That CZ is a good looking firearm, I wish it came in .45 ACP. As near as I can tell from looking at the web-site, they don't make a .45, do they?

They do indeed make a .45ACP. The full size model is their "Witness" model. I believe they make a smaller one as well.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lost sheep, you may be referring to the EAA gun, which is a CZ clone. I have the Witness in several calibers, including the 45ACP.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
A good ccw gun is the sig p239 in 40. 7 round single stack mag. thin profile, decock lever, good DA and SA pull, and decent sights.

That being said, I like the Glock 23 for CCW, the smaller version isn't bad to shoot either. The glocks are virtually fool proof to operate, no safety lever to manipulate or accidently disengage when moving around, and very safe when you are not pulling the trigger.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
I have owned H&K USPs in .45 an .40, Sig P228, 2 Springfield Armory 1911s, and a couple of different Glocks in 9mm, 45 and 10mm. No matter how many times I trade them in, Ijust keep coming back to the Glock. I like the trigger pull, it is absolutely foolproof, and it eats any ammo that I stuff into it. If I didn't live in the People Republic of California I would carry a Glock 27 everyday.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote