New
Find
Notify
Tools

remington may produce handguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their Model 51 was mighty nice, and the XP100 launched an entire industry segment. Can't read the article from my current venue but I hope they're not planning to simply relabel scruffy-looking undeliverable Russian stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The article says that the first Remington handgun will be an in house 1911.

Also they are looking to buy a current handgun manufacturing company.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read it this evening. Shades of the Remington Short Action Ultramag! Big Green is doing another too little too late version of an existing solution already flooding the market...a 1911 clone. OTOH a modern repro of the Model 51 would be really neat...if they make it completely of blue steel and leave off the J-lock (or at least hide it under the grip panels).

one of us
posted Hide Post
The M51 is a beautifully designed pistol and of course they did design one in 45acp .There's one in the Rem Museum.That would be worth getting .Another 1911 would offer nothing and would be lost in the hundreds of others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is Remingtons's business model, remember?
First the AR-15, and now a 1911. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll buy Colt.
That would be a marriage made in heaven...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
that is Remingtons's business model, remember? Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll buy Colt.
Interesting. That would make their AR15s and 1911s Colts regardless whose parts or manufactories are used. So long as they're committed to meeting needs already met by many others they could reintroduce the Detective Special 38s and the Woodsman 22s. The custom shop keeps making real SAAs and Pythons and add the M51 for the carriage trade. A lower cost Colt SAA with lockwork updated to please the CPSC could complete directly with Ruger's little Vaqueros. I think you're on to something.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
There is still a market for the 1911. It also gives them a way to test manufacturing with a proven design and not have to stand up an R&D department right of the bat. Hopefully they'll keep it Mil-Spec and keep all the crap off of it. Para Ordnance didn't even do it right with the "GI Expert".

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Presumably for an intelligent person to enter the 1911 market they either have to fill a niche that is currently open, or, build the same thing cheaper or better. With the 1911 market filled from $400 to $2500 I have no idea what they are thinking, however, I wait to be amazed!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The frist handgun I shot was a remington rolling block target in .22rf. My brother still has it.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it will be called the 1911-model 710 complete with plastic everything. Smiler I know, the barrel could be friction forced into the slide and never need to be removed. shocker

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Maybe it will be called the 1911-model 710 complete with plastic everything.
Then its follow on - the 1911 770 - will have an trigger guard uglier than anyone thought possible...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The first handgun I shot was a Remington rolling block target in .22rf.
Neat, they can add one to their Custom Shop offerings. Then maybe a drop-safe Remington Double Derringer, a reissue of genuine 1858 cap and ball guns, an 1858 cartridge conversion, and an 1875 revolver for the Cowboy shooters...

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
might be a little confused. the first 1911 i had was a remington minus the grip saftey and grip frame a little steeper but A REMINGTON THAT LOOKED AND SHOT LIKE A 1911.

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our military did have a rolling block pistol for a while ,1870 ,in 50 caliber !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a niche for 1911 in a Remington. Remington is a respected brand and 1911 is a sought after design.

Seems like they made them for military WWII up through Korea, but I could be wrong on that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what to think on this one. Remington has done so many "interesting" things lately with the plastic 710 and 770, the russian imports on shotguns, the mauser imports. Have to wait and see, perhaps the new ownership (Freedom Group?) will take this project in the right direction.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote