New
Find
Notify
Tools

How fast hard cast
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some buffalo bore 357 magnum I tried them in a carving and was getting 18 to 1900 ft./s. How do they hold up at this velocity or should I just stick with shooting them in a pistol

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of carving you are shooting them from. Wink I prefer to shoot them out of a carbine.

They well kill better then you would think.

If they are not leading the barrel you should be just fine.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a modern phone that’s voice activated and correct stuff you say I don’t have time to go back and correct this phone all the time

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am far from being perfect when it comes to such things

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Anukpuk, I would expect BB's hard cast slugs to be plenty effective at those speeds. Lots of folks shoot gas-checked hard cast well beyond 1900. Are you considering them for use on game?

And yes, God save us from auto-correct ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 357 carbine is a lot of fun just to have with you and cheap to shoot and I don’t plan on hunting but you never know what you might run into like a wolf or something and this is Bear country so I like to have some serious bullets instead of range ammo, but I wasn’t sure if hard cast would hold up on a bear or something at those velocities if it hit bone I live in Brown Bear country, but some of the islands only have black bears, but even the black bears average large for black bears

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer with my 357 carbines.

I am very carful with shot placement. Penetration can be a problem.

Most 357 bullets are not strong enough to handle carbine velocities.

They tend to expend to fast.

If one can find a bullet that well hold together and give 18 plus inches of penetration in 10% ballistic gel. At carbine velocities I would use that bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats experience when it comes to bullet performance on live game

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Anukpuk, I would expect the BB hard cast to penetrate as well as a monometal bullet in a .357 carbine, but will confess I would feel undergunned around brownies with that outfit.
I packed a stainless .44 Magnum Redhawk stuffed with hard-cast 320s over a caseful of 296 when we did a fly-fishing trip on the Stikine out of Wrangell 25 years ago. When I discussed this rig with our outfitter and his Tlingit father-in-law, they both laughed -- and issued us a Mossberg pump loaded with slugs and buck.
Maybe they were having fun with the cheechako from Oregon. You would know better on this matter than I do. hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I discussed this rig with our outfitter and his Tlingit father-in-law, they both laughed -- and issued us a Mossberg pump loaded with slugs and buck

Actual results with handguns have proven them wrong many times.

I would bet that they had little if any experience with handguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much experience with hard cast on large game.

They don't seem that much different than any other solid at the same velocity.

What I would expect is that you will get a lot of barrel leading with the higher velocities, but if they are accurate shooting, they will just go through what you are shooting at and your bullet placement will direct results.

Playing with a 9mm PCC with some lead bullets I started having accuracy issues with a mag dump and the barrel was a real PITA to clean out. IIRC those were only going 1300 FPS with that carbine, and they never gave that kind of leading (but not doing rapid fire) so was it a bad batch of bullets or the sustained rapid fire?

Hard cast in a handgun have killed just fine for me, just not as quickly as a rifle with expanding bullets at roughly the same placement- (talking similar finishing shots.)

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No black bears around here only brown bears last year. There was such a problem with Bears, killing dogs and trying to get into houses. 15 bears were killed not too big a problem this year but the opinions you get on calibers very from city police using 12 gauge slugs, the forest service use 375 H&H most hunters are carrying rifle and pistol from 10 mm to 500 Smith & Wesson and then there is people insisting on bear spray and airhorns