Find
Notify
Tools

Help me identify a pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Alrighty, grandpa wants me to get an old pistol in working condition. The only writing on it is-
"Pistola Automatica Caliber 7.??"(32 Auto)
This is on the slide
"Made In Spain" Just below the slide
"HCA", in an oval, on the left side above the grip.

I'll try to get pics soon.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
It's a "Ruby"? HCA means-HCA: Hijos de Calixto Arrizabamaga, Eibar ... "Sharpshooter"

I don't understand what Eibar..."Sharpshooter" means though.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharp shooter could be the model or just a sales pitch.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
don't know anything of these pistols the caliber is 7.65 (32 auto) and i would also guess sharpshooter to be the model

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
It's not pretty, and I'm not anticipating a "sharpshooter", but it should be safe to fire right? It seems that everything is solid, although dirty. I will take it apart and clean it, but it works as far as ejecting shells and firing pin not being broken, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Eibar is a town in the Basque region of north west Spain. Centre of the Spanish gun trade.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would say probally safe but if any question drop by your local gunsmith have them give it a look over just to be sure my smiths don't charge for this but even if cost you 20 bucks for a secure piece of mind it's worth it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It's probably a 7,65 mm Browning, which is close to a .32 Auto but not exactly the same. Slug the barrel. If it says 7,65 mm Browning the barrel is probably a .309". Whereas the .32 Auto is more like a .311" or a 312". Brass is thinner or thicker walled as a consequence and bullets are slightly different caliber. If you buy brass in Europe for the 7,65 it will have thicker walls than brass headstamped .32 auto. Fiocchi, among others, makes .309 bullets and 7,65 brass is commonplace in Europe. Getting .32 Auto brass and .312 bullets is easier in the USA.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Ruby/ruby.html

Thousands of weapons were lost daily in trenches. France had to buy wepons from various countries.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well, I had to mess with the magazine a bit to get it to feed, and grind the front sight down a bit to even get close to POA, but it works. Groups wildly, at 5 yards I get 2 within a couple inches, then one up to a foot away. Hitting clays over 10 feet away is pretty much luck as well.

The safety lever appears to have been worn down, and will not reliably hold back the slide. Could I weld a very small piece of wire or something onto the lever to hold the slide?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Grind down the sight" ! ! ! !

Ohhhhhh Jeez ! ! ! You have a funky ol' Spanish relic. It's a "knock off" of an FN or Browning, more or less, probably 80 yrs old, or more.

You don't "grind down" the sights on an antique gun! And you sure as hell don't "weld on" it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of these pass through my hands about twenty-five years ago. It's Spanish, sometimes called "The Destroyer".

The calibre is 7.65mm which is, in other words, .32 ACP. I would disagree with "WINK"! No difference IMHO! Indeed here in Europe these cartridges are sometimes headstamped "7.65/32" under the cartridge makers "name".

It hasn't got much value and I certainly would not use it as a "defensive" pistol! However it was probably carried years ago by someone who did.

The magazine capacity is quite large I think. At least ten rounds from memory. It is a "knock off" of Browning's system used on the Colt 1903.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spain has a long history of cheaply made guns !! Soft steels, made in a cottage industry, often poor copies of other guns. It probably has no value either as a shooter or especially a collector !!! thumbdown