New
Find
Notify
Tools

10MM anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had an EAA Witness Elite Match in 10mm for a little while now. However, while I have always heard that Longshot was a highly regarded powder I had not been able to obtain any. I recently found some, and loaded up some 200grain lead and some 200 grain JFP using 8.2 grains of Longshot (book max. approach with the usual caution). The lead stuff was nothing to write home about, but the JFP gave me this 5 shot group at 25 yards:

Group is about 1.1" Not bad IMHO. Now to load up some more, and adjust the sights!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 1006 stashed in the back of the gun cabinet somewhere, that I haven't shot in a couple of years...but yes, I think it's a great cartridge. I recall having pretty good luck with Blue Dot and Hornady JHPs, both 180 & 200 gr..

Pretty hard to beat the accuracy you're getting there! I never did try Longshot.

Posts: 5837 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also like LS in the 10mm. I prefer the 180gr bullets runnign about 1200fps to the 200gr. I think it beats my gun (Delta) up a bit less. The S&W 10006 is a tank made just for the 10mm.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded any Longshot to date in the 10mm.

My go to carry load from a few S&W 1006/1076 5" slide pistols is a Speer 180gr Gold Dot HP over 12gr of AA#7 in Rem nickel cases thru the Oehler 35P @ 1275-1300fps.
A 26Lb spring allows thousands & thousands of rounds to date.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prior to Longshot, my loads were using AA#7 and AA#9. If I can confirm the accuracy of the above 5 shot group I will probably stick to Longshot. I prefer 200 grain JFP in the 10mm and 180's in the 40 S&W.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj, did you upgrade the recoil spring in your gun? For high end loads, you should. I believe that I may be using a 22 or 24 lb. spring.
Peter.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Fredj, did you upgrade the recoil spring in your gun? For high end loads, you should. I believe that I may be using a 22 or 24 lb. spring.
Peter.

When I replaced it the firtst time I went up one. Off hand I think it was 22# for the Delta. I have add'l. springs for the 1006 as well. I'm quite happy w/ "normal" vel. loads in the 10mm of 180gr @ 1250fps & 200gr @ 1150fps. With 165grRGS @ 1300fps, it hits animate targets very hard. Before Longshot, I was using AA#7, HS7 (disc) & BlueDot for full power loads. Unique or WSF works great for midrange stuff.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for the most part i use power pistol for light to medium loads and hs6 and aa9 for heavier loads.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, do you have any accurate light or mid range loads?
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Only 10mm and only Glock I ever owned was the little 29 Fire-Breathing-Dragon that the previous owner had MagnaPorted.

a guy at the range "Had to have it" and capitalism ruled the day--I'm probably better off without it.

Tough on both ends, but would group well if you did your part,
never got around to trying LongShot.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
peter i lost all my reloading gear and data in a fire last summer so i cant really give you any load data off the top of my head.
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Lloyd, do you have any accurate light or mid range loads?
Peter.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez Lloyd I am sorry to hear that. Was the rest of the house OK?
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
peter is that the gun your son used last year on hog hunt???

I have S&W 1006 also not sure what spring is in it.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TBEAR, we certainly had it with us, but I can't remember whether he actually had it with him. He took his shot with the T/C Contender in 35Rem as I recollect. Certainly part of the motivation of developing loads with the 200 grain bullet is it's possible use for hog hunting. I have both JFP's and cast lead. The JFPs seem to be more accurate with Longshot.
That 1006 is a fine gun.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1006 once, would like to have another. Being a SBH man it was my favorite auto. NOT the gun to take to after-dark gunfights, though. Brilliant white flash, worse than a strobe. Can't find them around here.
Jim

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim I would suspect that just about any handgun would cause momentary blindness when fired after dark, with the condition being exacerbated by using the wrong powder. A lot of the flash is unburnt powder.
Peter.