Find
Notify
Tools

Crimson Trace
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Crimson Trace laser sight. I passed on acquiring one at the SCI Show last year. I bought one this year for my Glock 27.

Today, mid-day, I found that sighting in the Glock with the Crimson Trace at 20 yards is near impossible. I learned that the laser sight is designed for low light, very dim or dark conditions. In full daylight I could not make out the dot much beyond about 10 yards. BUT, that said, I did sight it in and it works beautifully. Adjustment is easy, and I found that by adjusting the dot to be spot on at home, at about 20 feet, it worked very nicely outside, when I could still make it out.

I will give it a go in dim light at longer distance, but for the use intended, defensive shooting, I am delighted with it.

That said I called Crimson Trace today to inquire about the laser made for the Ruger Single Actions. To me those are hunting revolvers. And the answer was that the lasers for those are not more intense than the one I bought. What that tells me is that for normal hunting conditions it is not appropriate. At night, in the dark, I can clearly see the dot on my neighbor's house across the street. A single action revolver for use hunting hogs in the dark, as in Texas, or elsewhere where legal, over a spotlight, or with a dim overhead light at a feed station, it would work well, provided you could sight it in for that distance, which for me should not exceed 35 to 50 yards.

One might be fun on my 10.5" scoped Ruger in 44 mag. (my javelina slayer) for just such use.....if it works out it will be my night hunter.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what just might turn your crank is one of the green lasers that are visable in daylight

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote