Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger GP100 vs S&W 686
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to buy a handgun for my wife to have at home when I travel. We have decided on a revolver. The autos are just to complicated for her. She would shoot .38 special ammo only, even though we would buy a .357 magnum. In the $500 price range I was looking at a 4 inch new Ruger GP100 or a very, very nice condition used S&W 686. What are your thoughts? I know the you can dry fire the Ruger without hurting it, but what about the S&W?

Posts: 38 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Anything with a transfer-bar safety will be fine to dry fire at will. The 686 has the transfer bar safety so that's not a problem, as does the GP100.

The real answer is to buy the one that fits your wife's hand best. Both are fine weapons and will give years of service.

In a nutshell, the GP100 is a more durable weapon while the S&W is a bit better finished (better trigger). For all real, normal shooting purposes, both weapons are equally durable. IF you intended to shoot a LOT of full house maximum loads (ie: 5,000 + rounds) then get the GP100. IF you like the ergo's and trigger on the Smith more, then get the Smith.

I have both pistols and my preference is for the GP100 (My S&W went out of time in only a thousand rounds...My GP is 20 years old and has over 15,000 rounds through it, still groups 1" at 25 yards (and sub 2" at 50 yards with my personal 180gr. hunting loads).

BTW, IF (and I do mean IF) you can find one of the rare 3" GP100's, that may well be the ultimate answer. The 3" GP100 came with a smaller grip that might fit your wife's hand better.

Again, I'd let her hand decide what works best.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm a big ruger revolver fan but you already have as good of advice anyone can give you with rnovi anwer

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, that was very helpfull

Posts: 38 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" 686 that I have carried since 1983 in law enforcement. It doesn't get out much anymore but it has seen and been thru hell. Still a great shooter. Not only did I carry it on duty but also used it in several PPC and Combat matches. I shot on two different police pistol teams. No telling how many thousands of rounds I shot with this handgun. The action is silk. Just a good solid classic revolver.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote