Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
very nice! Cool

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I like the after better, although I still prefer the lines of the original trigger guard.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Gosh, my 98% early 1911 38 super just increased about 1% in value since it now somewhat rarer...

I personally would have sacrificed a les baer frame and slide etc to produce the new-fangled rig you now have...

To each his own! Shoot it well.

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The trigger gaurd is squared so my hands dont slide up when shooting competitively. Les builds great stuff and has since his pre springfield days. When I start from scratch, I prefer Caspian...

...The Colt was a rusty one when I started...no collecter by any stretch

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like custom 1911's but in this case I personally think you took a gun that is worth between 1500 and 2000, spent money on it, and turned it into a gun worth about 900-1000 max. I was in the gun business off and on for over 30 years and with the rare, rare exception, never saw anyone get the money they paid for a custom 1911 back out of it when they sold it.
Original Colt 38 Super Gov't Models are one of the most sought after of the commercial Colt pistols. Nice looking piece, but I have to agree with Andrew, you should have started off with a much less valuable gun and had the same work done.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I will re-iterate this gun was rusty and pitted, mostly on the right side.Thats the good side showing. I, too have been in the gun business for over twenty years and have been building 1911s for the same. I can assure you what appears to you as a colleible gun was not . As for it being a $1500-$2000.00 gun made into a $900 dollar gun you are more than off a little.
while I will agree that most custom guns dont return an investment as a stock gun does, I can assure you my customers have felt the money well spent for the guns built for thier purposes. Be it duty, IPSC, or IDPA,my guns return the value in use. If ever there becomes some collectability, cool. The value is realized in the using. This gun is one of my personal pieces, and I wouldnt hesitate to use a nicer one if the desire arose. Wink

Eagle Machine Gunsmithing

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
I like custom 1911's but in this case I personally think you took a gun that is worth between 1500 and 2000, spent money on it, and turned it into a gun worth about 900-1000 max. I was in the gun business off and on for over 30 years and with the rare, rare exception, never saw anyone get the money they paid for a custom 1911 back out of it when they sold it.
Original Colt 38 Super Gov't Models are one of the most sought after of the commercial Colt pistols. Nice looking piece, but I have to agree with Andrew, you should have started off with a much less valuable gun and had the same work done.

I'll pay your max price of $1,000 for the first one you can find for me like this one.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Wink

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn...I guess this will teach me to keep my opinion to myself...so now I guess it is time to sofa before I have to end up doing diggin!!!
Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, but if I have any defense, I only saw the nice side, not the rusty, pitted one..... Big Grin
Seriously, I never really intended to offend you Chuck..you do some very fine work. I just have a real soft spot in my heart for commercial Colt 38 Supers.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
no offense taken. Wink you make a valid point, and I,too, have a soft spot for old Supers.
Besides, you cant be a gunsmith without thick skin...lol.
....and I wouldnt be any kind of Man if I couldnt respect a different opinion!
Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/