Find
Notify
Tools

making POI match POA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I just picked up a new stainless Taurus Millennium Pro in .40 S&W. A couple days ago, I took it to the range and ran 80+ rounds of Winchester white box 165 gr through it. It ran great, with no failures or stoppages of any kind, so I have no complaints there. The problem is point of impact. This pistol has the Heinie straight-8 fixed sights on it. I line up the 3 dots and cover the target with the front dot and the impact is 5.5-6" low and 3" left @ 7yds. There wasn't any flinching. The last 20 rounds were carefully aimed fire to get a good group for measurements.

It's like the front sight is too high, since they are fixed sights. Will going to 180 gr bullets raise the POI a lot at this range? I think 6" low at 7 yards is going to be tough to make up, let alone any kind of accuracy at longer ranges. What kind of options do I have to make this thing shoot to POA? Are there shorter front sight blades available for the straight-8 set that put the dot closer to the slide? I like fixed sights on a carry gun. Other than this deal, I really like it.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the shorter front sight, you'll be much happier and it's stress-free.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Do you have a source for different front sights?

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned the sights were Heinie's. Go to them or that's parts catalog (Brownell's.)

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I did check Heinie's web page, but didn't see any other front sight heights offered. Taurus doesn't offer any replacement sights as parts. I may try to just mill off a bit of the base of this sight so it sits closer to the slide when it's screwed back on. I'll know for sure once I pull the sight. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Captain

According to HEININE'S WEB PAGE Taurus has a license to mfg his sights.

First thing I would do is to have someone else shoot your new gun.
If they get similar results I would call TAURUS CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM

If you send the gun back send a target with it.

Ask them to send a target back to you when they fix the sights

Good Luck

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hint cool. I haven't been back to the range for this one yet, so I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
I just picked up a new stainless Taurus Millennium Pro in .40 S&W. A couple days ago, I took it to the range and ran 80+ rounds of Winchester white box 165 gr through it. It ran great, with no failures or stoppages of any kind, so I have no complaints there. The problem is point of impact. This pistol has the Heinie straight-8 fixed sights on it. I line up the 3 dots and cover the target with the front dot and the impact is 5.5-6" low and 3" left @ 7yds. There wasn't any flinching. The last 20 rounds were carefully aimed fire to get a good group for measurements.

It's like the front sight is too high, since they are fixed sights. Will going to 180 gr bullets raise the POI a lot at this range? I think 6" low at 7 yards is going to be tough to make up, let alone any kind of accuracy at longer ranges. What kind of options do I have to make this thing shoot to POA? Are there shorter front sight blades available for the straight-8 set that put the dot closer to the slide? I like fixed sights on a carry gun. Other than this deal, I really like it.
6" low @ 7 yds??? thats a lot. Sights will not help. The gun needs to go back to the factory. A heavy bullet, slower bullet will bring the POI up some, but not that much.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote