New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Mod. 48 in 22 mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A fellow I know has a S&W blued 6" .22 mag for sale. It's a Mod. 48 with the pin in the 6" barrel. Never seen the little pin in other brands. Anyway he wants $400 for it and it looks to be in very good shape. 22 mag does complete my collection of revolvers.
Any one know of these guns?

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...7611043/m/9511080831
3rd one from the top on the left. 400 for a mod 48 is pretty cheap if it's really very good.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, thought I had a few to show off till now.
Ever have a timeing issue with a Smith?

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had an issue way back in the 70's when bangor punta took over. had a guy with a mod 28 that would index way off. had to send it back. eventually got fixed. but that was all in bangors days when all they cared about was $$

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$400 sounds like a pretty good buy if it is in very good shape (i.e. mechanically sound, no rust or pitting, most of its original finish).

According to Roy Jinks in "History of Smith & Wesson" the model 48 was first produced on May 11, 1959 at serial number K355000. It was offered in barrel lengths of 4", 6", and 8 3/8". Least common is the long barrel, collectors will usually pay a premium for the 8 3/8" version.

The model 48 was discontinued in 1986. Since this one has a pinned barrel it was made prior to 1981. To further help date it: if it is marked 48-1 it was made after Dec 22, 1959. If it is marked 48-2 it was made after Dec 29, 1961 and if marked 48-3 it was made after Dec 14, 1967.

Although identical in outward appearance to the model 17 .22LR, the model 48 didn't sell nearly as well, most likely because ammunition was much more expensive and .22 Magnum velocities considerably less than from a rifle barrel. At any rate they are not as easy to find as model 17s.

For collectors, condition is a big factor (as collectors like to say, guns aren't scarce. Condition is scarce.) If this one is in condition you find satisfactory for your collection I doubt you'll ever regret buying it, or ever lose money should you decide to sell.

Personally I like shooting more than collecting so I leave the NIB examples for serious collectors and content myself with those in 90 - 95% condition. These can be shot now and then, and as long as some care is taken to preserve condition they can still appreciate in value.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine at a pawn shop about 8 years ago, and as far as I can tell it was NIB with all the stuff that goes with it. I paid (don't hate me) $150 for it. At the same time I bought a K22 target for the same price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mikethebear, I hate you. Smiler (kidding).

Seriously, well done. You made great buys on two very classy revolvers.