New
Find
Notify
Tools

revolver sight in
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you do when you run out of windage adjustment on your revolver? I found a load that my .41 mag Taurus Tracker loves, but it shoots so far to the left that it hits 4" left at 25yds even with the windage adjustments bumped over all the way.

Any other load and this isn't a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Factory or handload? If it were a handload you could alter it slightly to see if you could get a different point of impact. If it's a factory load your options are few since you can't also drift your front sight. You can call Taurus, but unless something is mechanically wrong with the sight, they aren't likely to say, send it to us and we'll replace it, but who knows? It sounds like you are just at the end of the adjustment range for that particular load and it happens. Frowner

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
PLEASE don't take this wrong...
Is your rear sight all the way over to the right, or left?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Is this a heavy bullet load? Recoil for a right hander can cause a shift liek that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what is the load? i used to have one of those and never had that problem

The Lord Bless You

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
The load is 16gr or 2400 and a 215 SWC. It's my plinking load.

The rear sight is all the way to the right. That was the first thing I checked when I noticed the problem.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
CKA: You have some room to experiment with your handload. I haven't used 2400 for the .41 Mag in many years, so I looked to see what the min.-max. charge is for the 215 gr. SWC in the Lyman 46th edition. Don't know what your alloy is or whose mold it is from, but the data from the Lyman manual is for a linotype alloy, so a hard commercial cast should be comparable. The range is from a very mild 14.2 grains to a hot 18.8 which would make for a pretty stiff recoiling load from the Tracker. I would play with reducing that load .6 grain or even a full grain and load twenty rounds. If that doesn't do it, increase the charge in .2 gain increments and work back up to 15.8 since it is a plinking load velocity is not really a big issue like accuracy that you still want in a general purpose load. What you are trying to accomplish is changing the velocity to twist rate of the bore. Differences may still be minimal, but it should help and you may even have to go slightly beyond 16 grains if you want to stay with 2400. I have found AA#9 to be almost perfect for loading the .41 Magnum and a start charge should accomplish about the same thing you are getting from your 2400 Plinking load. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
Everybody is talking about loads what about shooting form, is there a posibility that the trigger finger may be at fault here, to much finger will pull the gun left with a right handed shooter, try shooting with the tip of the finger not the first joint and see if that helps, it's quicker and doesn't need a load adjustment, if that don't help then look elsewhere. the old accronym KISS "keep it simple stupid" has saved me a lot of complication in my life. NOTE I'M NOT CALLING ANYONE STUPID NOR AM I IMPLYING THAT.