New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a new bullet supplier
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted a question about a month ago looking for more load options for a .45 Long Colt, Marlin Model 1894 Lever Action Rifle and you guys gave me some great information so I’m sending some back.

I’ve been reading the wealth of loading information on the Penn Bullets web site and thought I would give them a try; such a deal. My first Cowboy gun was a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt which is a pretty good shooter, as Ruger’s typically go. I broke it in with jacketed bullets then tried some of Penn Bullets lead. I wish I had a video this went so well but believe it or not, there are 15 hand held shots in that hole at about 40’.

Yesterday after a tedious 5 hour barrel break-in I fired my first lead through that gun at only 50’ (Hey it was raining like heck and I didn’t want to melt) and my second shot (within an inch of the ½” center didn’t register, neither did the third. My buddy who was with me said “Where are they going?”. They all went so in the first hole you couldn’t tell at 50’ there was in increase in the size of the hole. Next time I’m taking a video so people believe me and Bob Palermo at Penn Bullets can reference his good work to his customers so they have the same opportunity.

The load for both situations, the Ruger pictured and the 1894 video to come was; 9 grains of Unique, CCI 300 primer in Starline Brass trimmed to length for consistent crimp; roll crimped with my RCBS Cowboy crimping die then full length factory crimp die to size the whole cartridge.

Check it out, give Bob a call: http://www.pennbullets.com/index.html

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Penn bullets in an AMT 30 carbine that I used to have.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has an amazing variety including match grade which I'll be trying for my .45 ACP loads when my inventory gets a little lower. With the results I’ve been getting thus far, I don’t think I can lose.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I've bought several thousands of Penn's bullets over the years. Good stuff, good vendor.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote