THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    recommendations for a 44 special

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommendations for a 44 special
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering a 44 caliber special revolver and wonder what make/model would be best for target shooting.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog is probably right, a full-frame S%W would probably be the best, with target stock and hammer. I'd be tempted, though, by the Freedom Arms Model 97. What a sweet little SA revolver.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mid-frame Ruger's have been shooting very well too. They are a bargain IMO.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you do get one my best 44 Special target loads were a 250 grain cast Keith SWC over 6.5 grains of Hercules Red Dot.

That it 44 Special cases but shot in a S & W Model 29-2 with 6 1/2" barrel.

As this at least went some way to filling that great big case! Some thirty years later in my 44 Magnum Winchester 94 I'm now using Trail Boss.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outside of nostalgia, why would anyone buy a 44 Special (new gun) ?
A new 44 Magnum can be bought in a lighter frame (S&W 329) or a monster like 7.5" Freedom. The magnum can be loaded down to anything from a 44 Russian Target loads up to crushers that would take a 44 Special apart. Now trot out the Charter Bulldog with 44 Special & 5 shots. Yeah for self defense I'm really gonna give up my double stack 9mm for a slow to reload, no laser sight, 5 shot revolver. The only reason to buy a 44 Special is finding a mint S&W Triple Lock or Colt New Service. Wonderful hand fitted guns that with respectful loads will out last you and generations to come.
This is the "class" that is no longer made.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to target shoot 44 special but will use a 44 magnum to do this. Sorry I failed to clearly state this. As for carrying I am more likely to carry my 686 357 magnum, however, here in Canada generally no-one is allowed to carry a handgun as a daily practice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat a 5 screw Smith.

Posts: 4260 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I have been able to find is either the S & W model 29 or 629, or the Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk KS-45 in either ss or blue. There is quite a price change.

I really like m yS & W 617 and 686 and also like my (former) Ruger Old Amy and #1 rifle in 223. Both companies have their great features: The 629 is single/double action while the Ruger is single action only but in a 44 magnum there is less to go wrong with sa.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the SW 21's in 44 special, groups great with a 240 grain bullet at 900 fps.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know, I am kind of partial to my Ruger 44 Special's. A little handier that the Mag's and decent looking too.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the recail of the .44 special compare with .357 magnum?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots depends on the gun the load ect.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Outside of nostalgia, why would anyone buy a 44 Special (new gun) ?
A new 44 Magnum can be bought in a lighter frame (S&W 329) or a monster like 7.5" Freedom.

Well, I happen to like single actions and have a ton of .44 Magnums. For years I did load down the Magnum and agree that it is very versatile and accurate. However, I don't always need full power loads and the 5.5" Super Blackhawk is a big gun. The new Ruger flattop is just smaller & lighter. The loads that I use most often are a 250 at about 950 to 1000 fps. Perfect in that flattop.

Now, if you like double actions, then perhaps one of the new wonder revolvers may be a better fit.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree full loads are not always necessary or desirable. Mostly .38 is fired down my 686, but when full power is needed the gun is capable. With 44 special running thru a 44 magnum there is a greater degree of safety but again the option is there. For 44 magnum it seems to me single action also has a degree of added safety and fewer parts to fail. The only time I can conceive of needing full 44 magnum loads would be in the far north, meaning bear country. This is possible but nothing is currently planed for such a venture at the moment.

My local gunshop has a used pristine S & W model 29 in stock but the urge to go s/a is causing me to hesitate. At almost 70 there is a finite time to make use of any future purchases and while price is not a serious concern common sense suggests weighing the price/use benefit ratio or if you prefer economic opportunity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the model 29 you have a 686 not much of a learning curve.

I own only one single action now a single 6 and hardly ever shoot it. I much perfer double action revolvers.

I owned a couple of blackhawks just couldn't get over the slow loading and no double action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean hauling back on that hammer when the Bear was chewing on you would be inconvenient compared to "6 shots quick" ?
Betcha a beer than pretty little Ruger weighs more than my 329 and I don't think they make speed loaders for single actions......
SAs are nostalgic but don't bring one to a gunfight where the opposition is packing laser equipped Gen 4 Glock 21s with 4 extra mags.
Yeah I know:"make the first shot count", usually uttered bt those who have never been shot at.
Nothing like being able to lay down 13 45ACPs while you retreat or seek better cover.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck

I needed a good laugh this morning but so true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you have not experienced auto loader jambs.

I didn't intend to bring up the debate between volume shooting vs quality shooting but since you brought up the subject accuracy is better than speed. You have also not likely seen the speed with which a bear can move when provoked. If five shots cant do the job you have run out of time anyway.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
You mean hauling back on that hammer when the Bear was chewing on you would be inconvenient compared to "6 shots quick" ?
Betcha a beer than pretty little Ruger weighs more than my 329 and I don't think they make speed loaders for single actions......
SAs are nostalgic but don't bring one to a gunfight where the opposition is packing laser equipped Gen 4 Glock 21s with 4 extra mags.
Yeah I know:"make the first shot count", usually uttered bt those who have never been shot at.
Nothing like being able to lay down 13 45ACPs while you retreat or seek better cover.

Not sure who your rant was directed at but, um, ok.

As I said, if you prefer a Double action, get one.

Me, I feel more than adequately armed in the field with a Ruger flat top in the antiquated .44 special. I have other more powerful revolvers in both single and double action. But unless I happen to be hunting with them specifically, I prefer to carry a lighter more compact sidearm like the special.

The OP asked about a .44 for TARGET shooting, not combat.

Why anyone would let a bear chew on them is beyond me. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is quicker to pull back a hammer than pull a slide and can be done with one digit. If you lload and lock a slide might be fractionally faster. Big deal.

My opinion is correct for me and you opinion is presumably correct for you. Why the challenge?

You use an auto loader if you like: my choice is a revolver and in some conditions s/a.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh....z1r, on the net a post is usually directed at the post preceeding yours. DUH.

Now for the others who missed the joke, let's go over what was discussed.

No 1. I suggested that for out among large bears a S&W 329 loaded with 300+ gr hard casts and max loads of H 110 is a faster, lighter package than any single action in a lesser caliber. Unlike most people I really live and ride horseback A LOT in NW WY where there are many Grizzly bears.
The saddle scabbard carries a BPS 10 bore with 2 oz slugs and triple 0 hardened buckshot. Should I be dismounted the 329, rides in an El Paso Tanker holster that stays with me. Never mentioned was using any semiauto for bear defense.

No 2. For dealing with bad people, the semi auto rules. As for jamming, well maintained good ones using the right ammo, just don't. You bring your single action and 50 rounds of ammo, I'll bring the 45 acp Glock with 4 magazines (52 rounds). We'll have a 25 yard shoot off on "man targets" and whichever shooter finishes first will stop the clock. Wanna bet who kills more bad guys ?
Heck I could take my Dad's WW II 1911, with the original magazines (think 7 would do) and still clean your clock.

Finally for gray fox who knows so little about semi autos .... a lesson.

Single action semis (like the 1911) are carried chamber loaded, cocked and safe on.

Glock types are carried the same way except there is no safe

DA/SA types like a Wather P38 are carried the same way (safe off) with the first shot being DA the rest SA.

DAO types fire every shot double action only.
(attorneys hate them)

In NO case does a slide need to be racked or a hammer cocked.

Having shot 1911s for 60 years and Glocks for as long as they have existed, as well as dozens of other brands, the only malfunctions ever experienced were with a commercial pre war Luger shooting anemic American ammo.

Most of that successful shooting was done with match tuned wad cutter and hardball 1911s. Built and fitted like a Swiss watch by USAF team gunsmiths. 1000s of rounds and never a failure.

Probably have also put 500+ rounds through Dad's mixed race 1911 (upper Ithaca, lower Remington Rand), sloppy fit, dragged from Normandy to Germany, that put quite a few Nazis away. Never failed him, never failed me. Feed it 230 gr G.I. spec hardball and it always works. It's the one on top, the lower his High Standard "back up".

And yes I do own a very nice Single Action made by Sauer in 357 Magnum (the bottom one). Typical fine Sauer quality and a fun medium bore plinker.
(nice case color too).

So enjoy your old West guns but never confuse them with modern Revovers and Pistols.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No you missed the point. I asked for recommendations for shooting 44 special. A 44 magnum is more powerful and will handle 44 special just fine. Various makes and models are available. By choice I am not interested in auto loaders of any kind.

Diversions cause disagreements that lead to silly arguments and later insults. My question was simple and direct. Agreement on your part is not necessary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AS I stated early on S@W. A model 29 6.5 inch with a nice trigger job would be very nice for what you want to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog shooter.

I found one and hope to pick it up next week.

Cheers.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gray Fox, you have fine taste in target revolvers. Glad you can find and own one in Canada.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16430 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gray fox:
Thanks p dog shooter.

I found one and hope to pick it up next week.

Cheers.

Good on you. That N frame will serve you well.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boxhead:
Well I don't know, I am kind of partial to my Ruger 44 Special's. A little handier that the Mag's and decent looking too.

Agree with you....my Ruger is one of my favorites and I also have a Colt New Frontier that was tuned by Bowen.
I prefer single action revolvers.

The Colt New Frontier: The revolver was tuned by Bowen as I mentioned, and he installed a set of the old Colt grips which I found after a long search.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grey Fox, what did you get?

I just saw this thread, if it is not too late I would recommend the following.

For Target shooting a 6" S&W in 44 Mag would be hard to beat. I prefer to carry the 4" most of the time, but for revolver hunting, and target use I much prefer the 6".

A Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag is also a fun gun to shoot. I wouod look at the 5 1/2" to 7 1/2" which ever you prefer.

Also for a very classy and fun gun to shoot one of the Colt SAA' or a quality clone in 44 Special, or a small Ruger Vaquero in 44 Special would be a fun range gun. These revolvers are a little smaller a dn lighter than the others.

In fact in these smaller framed SA revolvers, 45 Colts are easier to find and would make a great range gun as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went in to buy it the gun was gone, sold about an hour before I got there. Still looking with the usual new/used decision to make.