Find
Notify
Tools

How do ya'll practice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
Just curious how ya'll shoot when you shoot. I am a revolver buff so the speed shooting and double taps don't appeal to me as much, though it does look like it'd be fun. I view my pistols like shorter range rifles. My buddy and I usually shoot farther than most people. We warm up at about 20 yds and finish at about 75. I like shooting shotgun shells probably about as much as anything else. If you can hit a 20 gauge shell at 30 yds. you can hold your head high as far as I'm concerned. We also shoot a 10" X 10" plate for distances past 50 yds. and that thing is a hoot. If you can hit it consistently at 75 yds I think you are ready to go hunting. I don't like or have scopes on any of my pistols by the way. How bout ya'll?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only wheel gun I own is a snub nose J frame, and that's only for up close and personal. I was surprised that with care, I could keep most of the shots on 8-1/2 X 11 paper at 25 yards.

I have a pair of Ruger Mark IIs, one slab side target model and one with a PacLite upper. I use them for warm up before switching to the bigger guns.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun. For my scope sighted 44 mag or my red dot sighted 475 Linebaugh I like to shoot at clay birds at up to 65 yards. For my shorter range weapons I use the standard IPSC silhouette targets at various ranges. So at 10 yards I would shoot my snub nose 357mag., 38 Super, 40 S&W etc. Then I run around and pick up the brass!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Presentation" -- for defense and CCW you need to practice getting at the gun, and defending your postition while you get at it. Clearing clothing, blocking assaults, being off balance or in a less than optimal position.

Then I practice shooting at 7 yds / 20 feet. That's "point & shoot" stuff. No aiming. No sighting down the barrel. You should get smooth with a presentation and shooting center of mass at this distance -- because this is where most defensive shooting happens.

Working this out in front of a mirror is effective.

I'd like to say I spend a lot of time at the range, but ammo is getting scarce.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
For some reason I tend to shoot 25 yards of further with all pistols. Since I don't carry for protection I don't practice at 10 yds. or less.

I'm not much of a shot, but I did nail a pop can at 50 yards with a bisley 44 the first shot I took it out and it definitely put a smile on my face, but only once!

I have a S&W HD 38-44 that I shoot double action a lot. It's such a smooth double action I love to use it.

When I shoot I usually practice on clays and set them up at various yardages. Remembering point of impact for certain pistols at 20, 40, and 50 yds. takes a lot of time and ammunition but it's fun and easy to see how minute mistakes equal misses!

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do...... DON'T ONLY PRACTICE WHAT YOU'RE "COMFORTABLE WITH"!

In fact, I would suggest that the majority of your practice time be spent on excercises that really bring you out of that "comfort zone".

If you practice only what you're good at....... that's ALL you'll ever be good at. You'll just be a "legend in your own mind"......and that's not a good thing.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote