New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 mm V.S. .45
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to pick up my first 1911, pretty much sold on an RIA, but torn on which caliber to go with..Want it for fun to shoot, but also able to nail a whitetail if needed..

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 10 is going to give you more velocity and power, but at a price. ammo is much much more money,and poor availability, guns are rather limited to choose from and accessories abound for 45 but not for 10. your choice

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, all of the above are concerns I have been tossin around..back to the drawing board..

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have to get a 1911 in either 45acp or 10mm! The 10mm is a very nice powerful round. Mine is an EAA Witness Elite.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, I was just thinking 1911 for a little bit longer barrel, for accuracy..

one of us
posted Hide Post
A longer barrel may or may not be more accurate.

I found barrel length accuracy has more to do with the shooter then the firearm.

I have some very short barreled handguns that are very accurate.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess ill get down to it, anybody had any luck with Rock Island Armory? Read ALOT on them, and found many good reviews, for the price. I am in college so money is a definite issue..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't trust the 1811 frame in 10mm. had a colt delta that cracked once. better gun but you'll have to look some to find it is a s&w 1006.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If money is an issue buy a Ruger .44 Super Redhawk or Blackhawk, and worry about a 1911 later. The .44 would be much better suited for deerhunting in MI (despite the recent craze to use 10mm and .45) and on average cheaper than a 10mm 1911, especially if you find a used one...

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i don't trust the 1811 frame in 10mm. had a colt delta that cracked once. better gun but you'll have to look some to find it is a s&w 1006.

The EAA Witness is an improved copy of a "Bren 10" (itself based on the earlier CZ75 9mm) with most of the "issues" corrected.

When colt started making the 10mm they had already switched 45ACP and 38Super to a "notched rail" where a segment of the slide rail directly above the slide stop cutout was removed.

Someone at colt thinking that a continuous rail would be stronger reverted the frame to the earlier (original) design and the 10mm frames made that way promptly cracked at that location.

A redesign of the recoil spring plug was also made at that point.

Personally I switched my 10mm Delta Elite to a full length (Wilson) guide rod and stiffer coaxial springs than the factory springs with double "shock buffers" before I finished the first box of 50 "Light" (FBI level) loads through it before I'd even open the boxes of "Full Power" 10mm I use for defensive ammo.
At the time the pistol cost as much as a two car payments and I didn't want to screw it up.

I have a general belief that I am competent enough as an engineer to see the mistakes of others before they become "a problem" and life experience has so far failed to show me any place where I thought "I can do better" and I've been subsequently been proven wrong.

If I were looking for a 10mm 1911, I'd go looking for one of the Kimber Eclipse models, which despite their appearance are made entirely in stainless steel, but the slide and some other parts are black oxide finished.

Though if you buy one expect to replace the Tritium capsules in the factory sights or replace the sights outright.

Tritium has a 12 year half-life and most of these pistols are nearly this old.

There is also the Glock model 20, but I believe this pistol is designed specifically to shoot the reduced "FBI Load".

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a couple of previous posters have alluded to, the 10mm can be a serious handgun. If you just want something a little better than a 40S&W then just about anything in 10mm will do. if however, you want a gun capable of shooting max hunting loads then choose wisely. Here is a link to a previous post of mine:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...401036821#7401036821
BTW, EAA also makes a hunting gun in 10mm in their Witness line. It has a 6" barrel I believe. I shoot 200 grain bullets at a fairly stiff velocity.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
The Glock 20 is definitely NOT designed for the FBI loads. I have one with the 6" hunting BBL and run 200 grainers at near max. No problems whatsoever.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree about the Glock 20. I have shot over 10,000 rounds through my Glock 20 and have had no trouble with it. General consensus seems to be that the G20 is the strongest most durable 10mm on the market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always been a fan of the 10mm and recently bought another. As you know the Glock 20 can be found at a good price. Fixed sights and light makes a nice package to carry around if you need the firepower. My old one was a great shooter and pretty accurate although I added adjustable sights to it.
It seems the market is expanding as far as good choices. EAA makes the Witness Match 10mm with adjustable sights and 13-15 round magazines and they sell for about $600 on Gunbrokers and I am in the process of getting one. Dan Wesson makes a nice 1911 style for about $1,400. S&W did make a really nice one and they sell used on Gunbrokers for anywhere from $750-900. One model, 1006, seems like it was built like a tank. Most people I talk to think it was the best 10mm made to date. The stainless Kimber seems pretty nice but I never handled one, they go for about $1,000. Starline makes brass for $90 for 500.

Havent had time to wring out the EAA yet but it is heavy and seems well built. Nice piece to carry on the hip for deer or hog hunting. Change the spring and load up some stiff rounds and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer 50 yards away.
Here is a good forum to research:
http://10mm-firearms.com/index...b9f7d730c4424b4c62fc

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6604 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson CBOB, EAA Witness match and S&W 1076 all in 10mm. The Dan Wesson is the best shooting and sexiest of the three, but you'll need some coin to buy one. The EAA is second best. It's a very good shooting gun, but the mags seem a little cheaply made. The 1076 is built like a tank and you could use it to hammer railroad spikes, but the slide to frame fit is really loose and the accuracy isn't the best. Although it is the most reliable of the three 10mm's I own and the controls are similar to a Sig 226. I keep the 1076 as my truck gun, the CBOB as a EDC and the EAA as an accurate plinker.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a s&w 1086. I've never shot a dao pistol before that is as accurate as mine. It will be the last pistol I ever get rid of. I'm looking for a 1006 and will probably end up with a Glock 20 before too long. My first 10mm was a LAR grizzly with the 10mm conversion.

As far as I'm concerned, the 10mm is the only choice for me in a full size, self-defense gun.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote