THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    I want ALL opinions please-I'd like another handgun.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want ALL opinions please-I'd like another handgun.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Hey everyone, I have the itch to buy a handgun. I haven't had one in many years, and now that Ohio has their concealed carry permits, I'd like to buy something again.

I have owned a Browning Hi-Pwr 9mm, Tauras 9mm, Beretta 9mm, a Glock 19, and a Sig Saur.

I haven't shopped for a handgun in years, probably 15 or more. I'd like one to carry on me or with me.

Since I haven't priced any in so long, I guess I'd go up to $800, maybe $1000.

I'm open to suggestions on calibers as well.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fully tricked-out Glock 26 gives you a lot of 9mm firepower and concealability, if you like their safety system, and would fall well within your budget.

Cheers

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Please tell me about the Glock safety. I am very ignorant on handguns these days. I have started my shopping here at AR so to speak to get ideas before I go to any gun stores.

I was thinking about a 40 cal or even a 45 also.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a big choice.Stick to 9mm [the better loads, 40 or 45 .You won't find any difference between 40 and 45 in performance. Consider also the HK P2000.For more compact check Kahr.The various trigger types today can get anyone confused.When you buy one make sure you thoroughly understand the funcion !!! The best way would be to try them.Compare them in handling ,how they fit.Fire them if you can. Some 'HK P2000 and S&W M&P have interchangeable backstraps for better fit.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a SP101 2.25 inch barrel 357 it shoots great up close. If I get a carry conceal permit it will be my first choice. Revolvers don't jamb this pistol is small and light with a punch more than a 9mm.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on how you want to carry & what paltform you like. I am not a big Glock guy, just don't shoot them well. I just got a SigP239 in 357sig, 7+1. It's also available in 9mm, 8+1 or 40s&w. It's about 7oz lighter than my COlt OM in 45acp but it's about the same size. There are so many choices, fat, slim, high cap, larger bore, you need to hit your local shop & try a few out, buy what fits you best & not worry to much about caliber.
If you don't handload, I would go 9mm. If you are in a location that forbids JHP, then I would go 45acp or 40s&w. Nothing wrong w/ snubby 357mag either, just depends on what you want to carry.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

The Glock 26 is very simple. It has 3 internal safeties that prevent the pistol from firing until you pull the trigger. That's it.

Trigger pull can be modified to as little 3.5 pounds, the pistol's capacity is 10 + 1, and its only slightly bulkier than a Walther PPK.

But, as has been stated, there are many great choices out there. Get what works best for you.

Cheers

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Shun the sirens of plastic and long mushy triggers. Banish the thick fat double stack spray and pray consumer fads. How about an Ed Brown Kobra Carry? Sell all the other guns, go to RangeMaster in Memphis for some training and you'll be so dangerous you scare yourself.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00316.2.671831136696485890

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Shun the sirens of plastic and long mushy triggers. Banish the thick fat double stack spray and pray consumer fads.......

lol

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If weight is a significant consideration there is always the Scandium framed Commander sized S&W:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/P...angId=-1&isFirearm=Y

I have a full size S&W 1911 and I am very happy with it, even though it doesn't have the trigger of my Springfield Armory 1911, it still works.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you didn't include a 1911 in you current list. going through life without haveing several 1911's is considered to be sinfull. by doing so you risk having to confront st peter at the gates and having him send you down to the other place because you didn't have enuf fun in life without a 1911 Big Grin shocker diggin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for the replies....I'm not to particular. I used to sell handguns in Tucson years ago, so I've shot quite a few but it has been years.

Weight isn't really an issue, but certainly, carrying a Ruger Super RedHawk with a 7" barrel isn't an option.

a 9mm, 40, 45 are all fine.

I was leaning towards stainless. Any input on HK?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you didn't include a 1911 in you current list. going through life without haveing several 1911's is considered to be sinfull. by doing so you risk having to confront st peter at the gates and having him send you down to the other place because you didn't have enuf fun in life without a 1911 Big Grin shocker diggin

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, if you're going to carry it, you might want to look at the Walther PPK-S in .380. I saw a nice used one the other day for $500, not sure what the new price is.

The J-frame S&W .38 is my favorite for revolver belly guns.

Good shooting, whatever you buy.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc:

Here's a basic fact of life and death with a pistol.....the bigger the hole, the faster the person shot tends to cease aggressive activity. Therefore, and only you can decide if this holds for you, I'd strongly recommend at least a .40 and and .45 is better yet. OTOH, I'd be the first to admit that a well placed 9mm bullet beats the hell out of a jerk and pray .45 shot anyday.

The fact is that with a reasonable amount of practice, a .40 or a .45 is not significantly more difficult to shoot than a 9, but, if you're intimidated by a bit more recoil in a pistol (and many are, there's no shame in it, just recognize it and go from there) then by all means get a 9mm. A .380 should NOT be on the table and I'm a big admirer of the PPKS.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through 1911 frames and probably have a preference for them, but around here, the saying is the only way to make a Glock quit shooting is to run it our of ammo. I'd strongly consider a Glock and for less than your dollar budget, you can buy one (I tend to like the midsized ones) AND a Laser to fit it that will make shooting it in low light a piece of cake AND enough Blazer ammo to get proficient. Check out Natchez Shooter's Supply, they've got some great prices on .40 ammo right now and ammo is going up all the time.

One more thing, and while I've never been in this situation, that little blinking red dot on someone's torso is said to have a VERY strong "discouragement" factor on aggessive behavior on their part. BUT, ANYTIME the situation is bad enough for you to have a pistol in your hand, then YOU MUST BE MENTALLY PREPARED TO SHOOT WHEN THE AGGRESSOR DOESN'T CEASE HIS AGGRESSIVE ACTIONS OR INTENT RIGHT THEN AND WITHOUT HESITATION.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Charter Arms Bulldog,.44 Special,Stainless at 22 ounces.
You can get a bobbed hammer on these.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I do not have any recoil issues with a 45.

I also do not have a problem introducing a lead diet to any aggressor who means to cause me or my family bodily harm.

posted Hide Post
I think that Springfields new XD is the most firepower for the money, for about $600 you get the case, two magazines, a cable lock, holster,magazine holster and a .45 that holds 13+1 .

"Bring enough gun."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc:

There are quite a few good choices in your price range in the 1911 or similar packages. I think you could hardly go wrong with a Taurus, Springfield, or Kimber in the size and price range you want. Some of the Taurus' are the only ones that have the potentially life saving "double tap" capacity. Not to mention an older Colt Commander that are readily available for reasonable figures.

OTOH, I think a Glock 30 or 36 in .45ACP is a wonderful choice.

If it was me, and I didn't have the background with 1911s that I do personally, I'd choose a Glock. The FBI and the Texas Rangers are not really wrong in choosing a Glock.

That tracer which fits INSIDE the front of the slide of the Glock just makes it into great carry package.

Yes, it is plastic framed, but then again, I'm going to shoot it, not screw it. Some people get their relationships with pistols a bit distorted. clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to choose is to handle and shoot several of your potential choices. Many shooters at pistol ranges or in local law enforcement will let you shoot a magazine or two out of their Glocks, Springfields, etc if you politely ask and explain why. I caution that first impressions in pistols are not always the best. The "heft" of many of the 1911s give them a "hand friendly" feeling but the wt. of that feeling does not necessarily translate into a good carry weapon. It is your choice, and since you seem to be under no time restrictions, I encourage you to try before you buy.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Kahr CW9 a few years ago and am still very happy with it. Recoil is mild, it's accurate for it's size, and has an excellent double action trigger pull. It was cheap, and parts of the polymer frame look cheap, but it has been 100% reliable with every type of ammo I've put through it. It also comes in a .40 S&W, but I imagine the recoil in that little gun would be a little snappy for my taste.

Glocks are great pistols, as well as the Springfield XD's. While anyone in their right mind who owns pistols should have at least one quality 1911, to me they don't work well for a CCW because they are a little heavy and bulky. But that's just me.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc I would take a hard look at a HK P7 . A new P7 will run you over your set limit of $1000 but you can find them in like-new condition for that price or a little lower. The P7 has a metal frame & slide and is one of the most compact 9mm on the market. The P7 is very flat and very safe since you said you wanted to carry it. The P7 has no safetys,slide levers,etc. The P7 is the fastest gun made to draw, cock, and fire. Simply draw the gun, squeeze the grip (squeeze cocks), pull the trigger, release your grip and the gun decocks. Doesn't get any simplier than that.
The P7 also has a fixed barrel which gives it target grade accuracy.
Lastly it is the only 9mm that the late great Col.Jeff Cooper is ever known to have said kinds words for.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
For concealed carry I think you can't go wrong with Sig or Glock. Both will be in your price range. I would look toward the .40 cal over the 9mm or .45ACP, it will give you the best one shot stop save the 357 mag.

On your question on the glock saftey's there are more than three saftey mechanisms. One is the two piece trigger design to keep the trigger from being depressed by anything other than your finger. The second a firing pin block (trigger most be fully depressed for the firing pin to release), the third is a drop safety internal to the trigger the fourthnis a striker decock, as you release the trigger, it take the majority of tension off of the striker spring reducing the energy to the point where it can no longer fire the primer. The major drawback to the Glock is ther is no idiot safety, if you pull the trigger, it goes bang.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You guys are very imformative and I truly appreciate it!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The HK family of pistols are exc. One of the compacts in 9mm, 40s&w or 45acp would be a good choice. It really comes down to what feels right in your hand. Plastic, alloy or steel, doesn't really matter much. If it's too big/hvy., you won't carry it all the time or have a hard time concealing it when you do carry. For that reason, I like the single stack designs, 3"-4" bbl. easier to conceal. Even a 5shot 357mag, like the Ruger SP101/2 1/2" isn't a bad choice. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm going by memory but it seems like my old Taurus was a 15 clip and 1 in the pipe semi.

I have to say, I'm addicted to the larger clip capacity. I'd like a pistol with more than 5 shots myself.

I'm still shopping too. Will go to 2 more gunshops this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Please tell me about the Glock safety. I am very ignorant on handguns these days. I have started my shopping here at AR so to speak to get ideas before I go to any gun stores.

I was thinking about a 40 cal or even a 45 also.
Thanks.

I have a Glock Model 27 and kind of like it....but it has no safety. The pistol I realy like for concealed carry is my Kahr PM9. Light, dependable, and accurate. If you want .45 look at their light weight 45. I have been looking at Para's new 9mm 1911 Carry with that super trigger they have developed. Tempting since I favor the 1911 action. With either of these you can add a Crimson Trace laser. lefty

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi-

I would like to get a CZ75 SP01- I think they are 9mm with 15 rounds and alloy frame and a little over 4 inch barrel. DA/SA. It sounds like a good carry gun maybe a little big for concealed but I bet it would be smooth and easy to shoot.

I do have a CZ97- 45 caliber and it has done well. I also shot a CZ75 single action and it was as good as any 1911 I can remember shooting as far as a good trigger. I would go for a 1911 or the single action CZ for target shooting. I guesss I am really wanting 2 or 3 more guns...

I shot a Glock before and I know they are reliable but I did not like the lack of mass, it felt like a water gun, although I reckon that would be a plus for carrying it.

Posts: 24 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 25 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kuikka
posted Hide Post
My Zetor can handle 18 rounds in a mag. Really love to shoot with it, a bit heavy though, but that is a plus when shooting fast...

Here is mine:

Posts: 55 | Location: Finland | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have never warmed up tp the Glocks. Beretta's seem to have more metal moving higher up than any other handgun I've used. Of a dozen 9mms we collected to shoot at one time ... it was the saddest. I would not count on getting 10k rounds through one either.

In 9mm I really like the HK P7s. Small, relatively light, reliable and accurage. Fine handguns. Shame they're so expensive.

The SIG 229 and CZ 75 come in second and are both well built, reliable, long living firearms.

Then come the 1911's. More is known about how to build 1911s that shoot well and last than is known about any other handgun design. Les Baer makes very nice single column guns. STI makes terrific double column guns.

There are many good pistolsmiths that make simply marvelous carry or competition 1911-based pistols.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid $494 at SW for my XD 45acp 4" pistol.Great shooter.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

Take a good look at a Glock 19 as your CCW.

Fully loaded, it is easy to carry around all day even with an extra 15rd mag. I also like the tenifer coating the barrel and slide improving the overall hardness to something like 65 and helping to prevent rusting.

You will notice a used Glock with 1,000 of rds down the barrel with still look like new.

I just put 300 rounds through mine and had zero problems. The shooters next to me had problems with their new xd's and M&P's jamming. I just smiled and keep shooting. Glocks go bang every time.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
At least take a good look at the Glocks. My wife carries a Taurus with an external safety and you wouldn't believe the times we go to shoot and she still forgets the safety. If you're a little "iffy" about carrying a gun with no safety, and one in the chamber, you could always leave the chamber empty. It takes 1/2 second to put one in and with practice you don't miss a beat.

My Dad and brother sometimes carry the 1911's and as much as I love to shoot them, they are big for concealed carry. I normally carry the Glock23 and it's on the large size for many outfits.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
A Glock is also one gun I'd have no worries about getting a used one. You can save 100-200 bucks by getting one previously owned. Many older ones have no sign of use other than wear on the outside of the barrel from everyday carry.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Doc

You should also try quickly putting in the mag without looking. I find speed reloading with a double stack Glock mag very easy.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
My CCW range from a 1911A1 to a break-top .22LR double-barrelled derringer, depending on what I'm wearing, what the probable scenario might be, and where I'm going. Probably the one that gets the most carry-time is my .40 S&W Sigma.

For $1000 I would buy 2 or 3 different guns for CCW to fit the wide range of social situations.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the S&W 625 in .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
If you intend to carry it to defend you and your loved ones, buy a SIG. If you're after a compact 9mm, the CZ P-01 has a slight edge in accuracy over the P-228 in the testing I've done, anyway. The P-01 is an exceptional value. One of the most reliable compacts you can buy. The only one among SIG, H&K, Glock, S&W, Beretta etc. that carries a NATO spec that the aforementioned haven't felt bold enough to test for. It's a very stringent spec. The P-01 is the most accurate compact I've used and once it's broke in, the trigger will get very good. Another feature with CZs, is that when you decock for carry, the hammer will be at the safety intercept (Similar to almost a half-cock position). The DA trigger pull will be about as close to a good DA revolver trigger as you're likely to find. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote